“Another wonderful stay”
other travellers have booked this property
THE GENERAL'S CABIN
Spend sunny days or listen to rain drop on our tin roof tucked under the porch Just step into this beautiful poplar and oak cabin
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
THE GENERAL'S CABIN
Spend sunny days or listen to rain drop on our tin roof tucked under the porch
Just step into this beautiful poplar and oak cabin
Dappled morning light
View from the loft.
Cozy fire
Pet Friendly- No Charge
twin beds with egyptian cotton bedding- get ready for a good nights sleep
Enjoy a good book  or read about the General and his wife
Even cooking becomes a pleasure overlooking woodland views
dreamy days
stocked pond with woodland views
Sun dappled kitchen in the afternoon
picnic by the pond
watch a good movie and tuck in by our second fireplace
Lovely kitchen
Take a peek into the cabin
tree lined drive to the cabin nestled in the woods
Sunny dappled window
Main Bathroom with tiled shower/tub as well as washer/dryer.
Handmade cabinets with double granite sinks in master bathroom
A good read in the master bathroom?
Wall of windows from the outside looking in.
Bathroom with step in shower off second bathroom with twin beds
Relax in comfort on our sectional sofa around a cozy fire.
A peek into the second bedroom with 2 built in twin beds
Sun dappled trees in early spring
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

davidmmet...
New Albany, Indiana
“Another wonderful stay”
Reviewed 11 December 2015 for a stay in December 2015

Everything was as agreed. Cabin is wonderful. Property is wonderful. Owners are a pleasure to work with. Recommended for a quiet get away.

Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
assirac12...
Louisville, Kentucky
“Best Cabin You'll find in the entire area, secluded, private, peaceful.”
Reviewed 1 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015
people found this review helpful

In the early afternoon of a beautiful September day we arrived delighted to drive down the long pathway, treelined, to the General's Cabin. The quiet sounds of nature immediately relaxed us (except for our babies Ellie Mae and Macy May:) the dogs wanted out right away!
That was just the beginning of what turned out to be the best mini vacation of our lives.
Eventually, after walking around the General's Cabin in awe, we finally took a stroll to the pond with the dogs. I can't remember the last time I felt that serene. The sounds of nature surrounded us, the chairs were very comfortable. Later that night we went back to see the Super Moon reflecting off the pond…amazed at the beauty and peacefullness.
Everywhere you look in the cabin you will find another photo or book or lamp you didn't see before, Joy and Michael take this business to heart…the energy in the cabin tells it all.
The cabin gave me a feeling of freedom, all of the walking trails to hike with the beautiful trees, and all the leaves changing, letting the dogs roam free without worrying about them, the surroundings of the cabin were gorgeous…I am a native of Kentucky, I have been to Natural Bridge many, many times, we never even left the property of the General's Cabin, had no need to.
(if you have never been to the gorge I would like to note it is very worth checking out the attractions there, or to hike etc…)
The cabin itself is literally breathtaking, the ceilings are extremely high, every single room had a uniquness to it, and the ambience was perfection, dimmer switches and huge ceiling fans, the really easy to use fire place, the granite counter top in the large main bath. The beds were amazingly comfortable with plush pillows. There are plenty of kitchen utensils, even a coffee grinder.
I loved reading General Little's Bio, (I believe written by Michael) I took it out to the hammock which is sooooo comfortable and I don't even like hammocks. If you visit the cabin I hope you take the time to read one of the hundreds of books that lined the shelves from classics and above.
I was really sad to leave that paradise built by General Little himself but we will be back with Ellie and Macy who will never for get the word "Cabin!"
If nothing else please take with you the appreciaton of what General Little, USAF did for our country. Had it not been for men, women and Veterans who served our country we would not have the freedom to take vacations like this or people like Joy and Michael to provide it.

Liked best: The privacy
Liked least: nothing
Your age range 35-49
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Savannah...
Louisville, Kentucky
“Restorative and generative, this place is so much more than a cabin!”
Reviewed 17 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015

The General's Cabin is one of those places that you hesitate to share widely, because it's so special to you. It's also a place that you want to tell everyone about because everyone should have an opportunity to experience this gem. I heard about the place for years before our schedules lined up, and it was better than I could've expected. The drive to the cabin was exceptional, the place was private and had everything we needed. We cooked one of the best meals of our life that evening, and the magic of this place brought out the best in us. I loved the openness of the home's design, the inventive use of windows, the books and maps, and the sense of discovery that was conjured by the extensive trails, pond, and vistas. We had so many memorable moments that it feels hard to believe we were only there for a couple of days. Joy and Michael were kind and thoughtful hosts, and the place was clearly built, and has been maintained, with love and pride. We felt at home at the General's Cabin, and we'll be back.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house itself.
Liked least: Leaving.
Older travelers People with pets
Caroline...
Nicholasville, Kentucky
“My home away from home...”
Reviewed 18 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

This past August was my second trip to The General's Cabin. My first trip was spent with my fiancé and our three dogs. We instantly fell in love with the property and the many amenities offered. There was not a pet fee, there were numerous trails for our enjoyment, and a stocked pond for fishing. We spent most of our time hiking the trails, playing board games, cooking and enjoying music on the surround sound system. It was SO cozy. I loved the cabin so much that I wanted to share it with my friends. I booked a second weekend to spend with 5 of my closest girlfriends for my bachelorette party! We hiked, played badminton, grilled out and just enjoyed each others company. We took a day trip to Natural Bridge, which was only a short 15 minutes away. The cabin is very secluded, yet close to activities in and around the Red River Gorge area. I am so thankful to have found The General's Cabin and I have already talked with Joy about booking a third trip. I have only been home for two days and I am already itching to get back! This cabin is truly remarkable and one-of-a-kind! I would highly recommend this property to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation getaway. Thank you Joy for restoring your father's beautiful home and allowing visitors to experience the many wonders of this property. I am so very grateful.

Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 16 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The coziness and cleanliness of the cabin and surrounding areas.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Bekki T
Lexington, Kentucky
“We Love This Place......Spring or Fall”
Reviewed 19 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015

Just spent another wonderful week at the General's Cabin....This makes 5 or 6 times that we have enjoyed being there. The weather was absolute perfection...(it has sometimes rained the entire time even so ....that never dampened our spirits....just increased our relaxation and reading) This time we hiked....marveled at the beauty. Got to see the huge turtle in the pond...he really is huge....we named him "The General" although my husband thought that he should be ranked below the General and perhaps be named the Lt. The wild flowers at the nearby Red River Gorge were spectacular (yellow and pink Lady Slippers, Trillium, ferns, Dutchman's Breeches...you get the idea) as well as the cabin's grounds. Friends came down for dinner and a great time was had by all. Our dogs love the General's Cabin and never want to go home....I've got to stop telling people about our little slice of paradise. Thanks Joy & Mike

Liked best: Going
Liked least: Leaving
Older travelers Families with young children
united states
Reviewed 17 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Quiet and dogs being able to be free
Liked least: low shower head for tall husband
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing