“Over-Priced and Just Okay”
Review of Virgil's Cafe - CLOSED

Virgil's Cafe
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: O'Fallon
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This restaurant on Route 8 (Fairfield Avenue) in Bellevue has received lots of attention - from an appearance on that Guy Fierre show "Diners, Dives and Drive-ins," (or whatever it's called) not to mention reports George Clooney has eaten there.
While it can be fun to read about froglegs on the menu and some other rather ambitious dishes, they are saddled wtth a cramped, noisey dining room (try to get a booth on the wall just as you walk in) and the portions and prices are pretty disappointing. While the service is friendly, I've eaten here several times when the wait was frustrating. Breakfast/Brunch is particularly disappointing - small portions (one piece of cheap, store-bought bread for toast, etc). The only thing I can say was actually better than average was a tomato bisque soup - nothing else was stellar... but the prices all make you feel like it should be special. I applaud any restaurant that doesn't just serve wings and pizza and isn't a chain but I just don't think it lives up to the hype.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Hey, head on over to Bellevue Ky and check out Virgil's Cafe for dinner. My wife and I sat by a window overlooking the street. Comfortable surroundings (I love the tray ceiling wood work in the front room). We had Etouffee and Ribs for dinner. Both were really good. For desseret, flourless Bourbon chocolate cake. WOW! That was excellent. Perfectly balance of texture, moisture and slight Bourbon flavor. Service was very good, The host was prompt and very accommodating with any needs as was our server. Check out the marking left on the wall from the FOOD NETWORK next to the bar.

1  Thank mybav60
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We had a chance to expeirence Virgils for the first time and were not disapointed. I ahd the chicken and sausage etoufee and my girlfriend had the omlet with shrimp and artichokes. Both very tasty. Great flavors and definitely homemade. Don't forget to try a Bloody Mary!

1  Thank daniel c
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We had dinner here at the suggestion of our B&B owner and the bartender at a local bar. The food is fabulous. The service is personal and excellent. If you go be sure to have reservations as it is a very small space and fills up quickly. The atmosphere is very artsy and pricing is reasonable. My husband says they have the best hotbrown he has ever had.

1  Thank willwork4vacation
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The Good: Unique Dishes, Great Decor, Good Service
The Bad: Small and can be crowded, not fast or cheap

This is a really unique little place with excellent food. It is located in a nice refurbished vintage building. They have nice original artwork and interesting decor. I have been here several times with family and friends. We have yet to have a bad meal. Service is good although not fast. There are neat original drinks and the menu has lots of variety. It is a small place with limited space and there can be a wait. This is a relatively expensive place so be prepared.

1  Thank RoadLessTraveller