“NEVER again”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bellevue
Dayton, Ohio
“NEVER again”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We booked the hotel in advance not knowing the location and the look/feel of the hotel and seemed impressed when we arrived. We had a busy day and didn't get back to the room until late. When we decided to go to bed, we pulled down the sheets, and there was an awful crusted, brown stain (2 of them actually). Looked almost like dried blood. We were grossed out and called down to the front desk asking for fresh sheets. He said he would be right up. An hour passed, no sheets. We called again. He then said "You could come down here and get them instead." We said that seemed like poor customer service since he already said he was on his way an hour ago. He said ok he'd bring them to us. We asked about how long because by this time it was around 1am and we were exhausted and wanted to sleep, he said 10 minutes. Around 2:15 we still had not gotten any sheets and decided just to check out. Asked to speak to the manager on duty, it was him. He was just sitting there and appeared to have no intention of bringing the sheets to us. We showed him the gross sheet that was on our bed. He said nothing. Not even an apology. He told his he was not authorized to give us any money back or any discount and to have a nice day (like that was possible after checking out at 2:30 AM and driving all the way back to our home a couple hours away). He gave us their GM's card to call today. We have tried calling and the staff literally beats around the bush so we do not speak to her. We finally left our phone number and she has yet to call us back. I STRONGLY recommend that you do not stay here. Horrible service and awful quality control. I am sure they would not want to sleep on that stuff or be treated that way so they should not treat their guests that way!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mellowmallory
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear mellowmallory,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am sorry you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wauseon, Ohio
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I am washing my clothes out now, as my "non-smoking" room was not really that. Really, everything else was ok, but that is frustrating. We thought we smelled SOME smoke in the room when we entered, but didn't think it would be enough to warrant switching rooms. Now that I'm home, and am smelling it on everything that was in my bag, I realize it was pretty bad.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear hopester84,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the room smelling like cigarette smoke. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Stoughton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 April 2013

For the price, clean and spacious room. Friendly staff that greeted us each time we arrived. Didn't notice any noise problems and good convenient location. For less that half the price, would stay here again for quick access to Cincinnati.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at this hotel two years ago for spring break because it was by far the best rate, military $77 a night. We decided to try it again this year and the rate was STILL $77 for active duty military families. Rooms are clean, have a fridge & microwave, indoor pool, and free breakfast with a pancake maker that makes great pancakes. Right across from a trolly stop that will take you almost anywhere for $1. Or $3.50 for an all-day pass. Minutes from the Aquarium, Reds Stadium. Downtown Cincinnati, and the most awesome children's park that sits right on the river walk. We will definitely do Cincinnati again at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Williamsburg, KY
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Usually this has been one of my favorite places to stay just across river from Cincinnati. I have given positive reviews in the past of this property. It is right by big boy, a bus station, very close to city but free parking and smaller hotel than in the city nearby. However, this visit had some issues. Had to wait over five minutes to check in even though it was only 7 at night. Was recognized as platinum member, given water and chips. We went to indoor pool, and there were plenty of towels but water was very cold. Many kids were there but saw teeth chattering, etc. slept ok, others are right about thin walls. Design for hotel is about two or three older than newest ones, but flat tv and fridge, micro in rooms. Breakfast underwhelmed. Eggs super overdone and dry, even for hotel eggs. There was either part of a plastic bag or Saran Wrap covering in the gravy. Some wound up in my mouth. They asked, how bfast was, we told them, and they apologized, but as of when we left 10 minutes later still had not changed gravy or taken away. Finally, next morning wife finished shower and looked down at towel as was drying off, and found mascara on it in two places. She was not wearing any makeup. Wondering if it just did not come out in wash, she ran water over it and it came out easily. Soo, there were towels in the room that were left from previous people in room that had not been changed, the large bath towels. Disconcerting. Ultimately, it seems that overall the hotel has slipped a few notches compared to other hie hotels. We don't plan on staying there again for awhile.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank debatecoach
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear debatecoach,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel and being one of our Priority Club Rewards Members. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am disappointed that on this visit you were inconvenienced by the condition of the breakfast served and if you found the room accommodations to be sub par. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Pam G.
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We arrived on March 20th for a 2 night stay. I had requested a quiet room so that I could sleep comfortably (I'm pregnant), and a room that an animal hadn't been in because I'm allergic and can't use my inhaler (because I'm pregnant).

We arrived around 1:30 in the afternoon, I believe. The location wasn't an issue. I was aware that it was behind a Frisch's and that wasn't an issue for us. It was close to Newport, which was nice.

We were checked in by a lady with brown hair that was probably in her 30's. She was also in the dining room during breakfast. She was really nice and friendly. The staff that worked the breakfast bar were also very friendly. I don't really have any complaints regarding the staff.

The room: We were placed in room 111. It was one of the first rooms on the first floor. It definitely wasn't quiet. Our room was on the way to some exits and the pool. We constantly heard people going down the hall (and their conversations). We heard the "neighbors" leaving with their child as well. I'm not sure who was in the room above us, but I believe it was a very fast dog and an elephant. At times it sounded like someone or something was running around in the room. There was also a lot of stomping going on up until about midnight and it started again around 6 in the morning. This was the situation on both nights. We didn't complain, because honestly, what could have been done about it?

Cleanliness: The hotel was in fairly good shape. Except for a few minor things, our room was clean. The only things I noticed were the condition of the bathtub (it had chipping), it also had "mat marks" along with staining and the lamps in the room had dust on them.

The bed: My husband and I woke up sore both mornings. You could feel the springs in the bed. I woke up several times throughout the night in pain. The mattress desperately needs replaced.

Another issue: the mini fridge was pretty loud when we were trying to sleep. It made a loud "buzzing" noise.

The pool: I believe I've read where other people had this same experience. We decided to get in the pool our first night there. It was completely empty, which was odd. We soon realized why. The water was freezing cold! We quickly found the areas where the warm water was coming from and stood near them. After a few minutes, we had to get out. It was entirely too cold to enjoy.

The breakfast: I know I was curious about what was offered, so I hope this helps. Aside from the eggs, the same food was offered both days and consisted of: pancakes (like a waffle machine), muffins (banana nut and blueberry), bagels, toast, english muffins, biscuits with sausage gravy, eggs (first day they looked like frozen omelets and the second day was scrambled eggs), cinnamon rolls, cereal (4 kinds, I know there were cheerios and froot loops), milk, juice (orange and apple) and there may have been yogurt. We had no complaints about the food offered. There was a large variety and everything tasted fine. The ladies working on the food were also really nice.

Overall, we had a nice stay. There were plenty of channels offered for tv, the area felt safe, I got hungry at 10 pm on the second night and luckily, frisch's was next door and open until 11 pm. We didn't have any serious issues. It's in a convenient location as well. It's just minutes from Newport.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We arrived at the hotel later in the evening and the woman who greeted us was very friendly. There were chocolate chip cookies available that were quite tasty. The lobby was clean and funished comfortably. We were told about the hotel's amenities while we checked in. The room was conveniently located on the first floor. The room was a tad dated, but still very nice. The carpet and padding could be more plush. It felt like the cement was right under the carpet. The bathroom could have used some refreshing and the floor moldings were starting to come off of the wall. That said, the room was very clean, the beds comfortable, and the television reception and clarity was great. The only issue I really had were the guests staying above us. They were speaking very loudly and it sounded as if heavy furniture was being dragged across the room. I'm not sure if the walls/ceilings are paper thin or if they were just incredibly loud, but I had to go to the front desk to ask for help. That noise had been going on from around 10pm to midnight. A nice gentleman stated he would contact them about the noise. The noise did stop for about 30 minutes before starting again, but by then I was just too tired and finally fell asleep. Overall, my stay was nice and was only effected by other guests with no fault to the staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SueBlueChic
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear SueBlueChic,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am delighted that you have mentioned our friendly staff. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. I would also like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken.

Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellevue
Comfort Suites
#3 of 5 in Newport
Central Business District
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati? Share your experiences!