“Okay buffet, atmosphere lacking”

Smokehouse Grill & Buffet
Ranked #16 of 54 Restaurants in Berea
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Buffet had fried chicken, pulled pork and chicken, ribs... all were okay, not great. Side choices were okay... fried cornbread, corn pudding, corn, green beans. Veggies tasted like they were plopped right out of a can with little to no seasoning. Desserts were few and not that good. Prices were very reasonable, but if we go back, I would choose to order off the menu, not buffet. Salad bar was good!

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We were there for dinner the end of march on our way back north from Charleston, SC. We *always* will try a local place instead of a chain restaurant so we pulled into the Smokehouse.

The staff were warm and friendly. Loved them all. Da 16 year old boy was happy with his meal as was da wife. But then any place with good, fresh, hot buttered yeast buns makes her happy. Very good with honey.

But I got their speciality, the all you can eat ribs. *Not* crisp and crunchy crust, nor fall apart off the bone tender. Only ate about 1/2 the slab they brought out. Kinda tough and chewy. Sauce was nothing special either. The side of pinto beans was good though.

I'd go back and try something else, but definately didn't knock my socks off.

BTW, it's in a dry county. No beer, wine, etc. No, that didn't influence my review! :)

Reviewed 30 December 2012

After being out Christmas shopping, I just didn't feel like cooking. My son and I had passed by this restaurant a few days before and we were enticed by the buffet listed on the outside signage. When we arrived a little after 4 PM. We found that the buffet closes daily at 4. The waitress said that they also had a breakfast buffet and that it would only cost my son $5.00. I asked what was usually on the afternoon buffet, the waitress said fried chicken, chicken fried steak, pork chops (Southern Home Cooking Items) The specials that night were sirloin steak and two sides, and an all you can eat rib special. I ordered the sirloin with a loaded (butter sour cream, bacon & cheese), baked beans. My son, being a barbecue fan, ordered the ribs with macaroni and cheese, and baked beans. We ordered iced tea for drinks. The tea was fine. My steak was surprisingly good; almost cut it with a fork tender. Sadly,my baked potato was hotter than my steak. My son's slab of ribs (pork) was fall off the bone tender and had a very tasty sauce. The sides, however, needed work. Judging from the dissolution of the baked beans and the macaroni and cheese that my son said, "tasted like it was soaked in ocean water," I suspect that the sides had hung out on the buffet for a good long while. This restaurant competes with a chain restaurant of similar, but more politically correct (no taxidermy) decor, if they could step up their game, they could give the big boys a run for their money.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Quick service, friendly waitstaff. Nice homey atmosphere. Good food. Would definitely stop there again.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

The food here is good, the atmosphere warm and the salad bar even better. I like sitting close to the fireplace and watching TV as I eat.