“Average”

Wanpen Thai & Chinese
Cuisines: Asian
“Average”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Average is the perfect word to describe this restaurant. Had s&s chicken & egg rolls. Need new booths!

• Visited August 2013

Covington, KY
“Get your food to go - or sit back from the table”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I really want to give this restaurant an "excellent" review because the food we had was excellent. But there's something to be desired when it comes to cleanliness. Wanpen greeted us and told us to sit anywhere. We wanted a table but some were very small and we hesitated taking a large table for just 2 people. She encouraged us to take a large table. The waitress took our drink orders and we dived into the menu. The front is Thai, the back Chinese. As always when I'm at a place like this it takes me a while to decide. I asked the waitress a couple questions about some Thai dishes but she either didn't know the answer or didn't have the vocabulary to explain the difference between one dish and another. She couldn't tell me why the Super Noodles were Super. I ordered them anyway, with pork. I also ordered a Vegetable Egg Roll (based on other reviews) and Potstickers. My companion ordered the Fried Tofu, Cucumber Salad, and a Pad Thai with squid. The egg roll was great - big & crispy. The potstickers were small but tasty. They came with a dipping sauce that was different from what I usually get at other restaurants. It was OK. My friend loved the fried tofu and salad. Both our entrees were large. They were both delicious (we tasted each other's food and agree). I would gladly make this my take-out restaurant of choice if I lived in the area. I will not come back and sit at a table again. Here's why. When we sat down I was so busy checking out the décor all around us (and there's a lot of it) that I didn't see the filthy tablecloth. See the picture of the round table up above? That's like the table we sat at. All the tables are glass-topped (thank goodness, or I would have walked out before I finished my meal). The glass was clean BUT there were crumbs under the glass. If you look closely at the picture you may notice the glass is slightly smaller than the table. This means there's a small edge of tablecloth exposed. And it was filthy. I actually moved my chair back so I wasn't brushing up against it. Wanpen needs to throw out all the tablecloths on all the tables because I can't imagine there is one that's clean. I did see one booth without a tablecloth. If you come here to eat, find that booth. From where we sat I could see behind the counter. Everything I saw back there looked very clean. The floor around the tables was clean. I think the owner may not see the dirty tablecloth because the lighting is low in the restaurant. (Please let that be true because otherwise it means she knows about it and doesn't care and the food is so good that I want to believe she cares.)

• Visited July 2013
Berea, Kentucky
“Very good Chinese and Thai”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I have lived in berea for over 2 years and I had never been to this place until may. However, after I went there for once I liked it a lot so that I went there for 2 times more the week followed. They serve Chinese and Thai food and the food is very decent. It tastes like authentic but it is not salty or spicy. If you want spicy, you can ask them spices. The owner couple is also very nice and kind and the atmosphere is also good. The price of the meal was also very reasonable price for me. Since I am a college student, I would not enjoy the meal if they are expensive. I think wanpen is pretty decent Chinese restaurant in berea. If you want Chinese food in berea, I recommend this place.

Visited May 2013
Berea, Kentucky
“Good Thai and very affordable!!”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I had never had Thai before coming to this small restaurant I ordered squid panar. It was very chewy and different, but quite tasty. The owners are nice as well and are very friendly. I recommend this restaurant to any person traveling through Berea!!

• Visited June 2013
“Wanpen a tasty treat!”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stopped in Wanpen with a friend on a Sunday afternoon. The lunch menu was very reasonably priced. I got egg drop soup and some sort of dish with peanuts, rice, and noodles that I forget the name of. Both were delicious, and I had plenty to bring home. It may not have been the prettiest restaurant (the booths did have duck tape over them, after all), but it was clean and the Thai decorations were interesting. Our waitress was very sweet, as was Mrs. Wanpen herself!

Visited June 2013