“Great little college restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 52 Restaurants in Berea
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great little college restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were in Berea last spring and we ate at Papa Leno's. When we visited this time we wanted to eat lunch at Papa Leno's again. We weren't disappointed. I had a pepperoni and mushroom pizza that was very good. My wife had the Italian Deli Sandwich and she loved it. Great food and a great value. We can't wait to go back!

• Visited October 2013

Jonesborough, Tennessee, United States
“Nothing to write home about.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Everybody told me that I just had to go to Papalenos, which is evidently an institution, so I tried it. It's one of those college places where newcomers who don't know the "rules" aren't comfortable right off the bat. I walked in, for instance, and couldn't tell whether I was supposed to wait to be seated. There's no obvious signage to clue newcomers in about the procedure for ordering food; they evidently assume that everyone has been there before. It turns out that I was supposed to go to the counter and place an order, then choose a table. When I finally figured this out, I had to look all around to figure out where the menus were so that I could prepare to take my place in the ordering queue. I located a menu, made my decision, then walked up to the counter to order. Just as I was ready to place my order, the phone rang. The woman who was taking orders held up a finger to me as if to tell me to wait (without any other greeting involved), then proceeded to answer the phone, turn her back on me, and walk to another counter. She was standing there talking on the phone without giving a glance in my direction or even saying, "I'll be with you in just a minute." After I stood there for several minutes, one of the servers noticed me and came over to take my order. She gave me a number and told me that I could choose my table and they'd bring my dinner out to me. I chose a table and sat down, waiting for my salad and my chicken pasta. After a few minutes, a different server walked up to my table and told me that I had forgotten my salad. I told her that, no, I had ordered a salad. "You forgot to pick it up when you ordered and paid," she said, somewhat impatiently. I didn't bother to tell her that I hadn't forgotten--I had simply not been informed of the "rules." I'd probably go back there if someone else really wanted to, but the food wasn't remarkable and I was really put off by how inhospitable it felt.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Katie H
Lenoir City, Tennessee
“Daniel Boone never had it this good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

You're driving on I-75, it's close to lunch time, so your hungry and need to stretch your bodies. You notice a brown sign that alerts you that the next exit is to Berea Ky. and the Daniel Boone Tavern!! After touring the famous tavern, your back out on the street and as you turn the corner, you notice a place called Papa Leno's (a pizza place!) you go in grab a menu and see what's on offer. You quickly discover, that it offers a lot more than just pizza!! As we sat there the place started to fill up very quickly and the staff just adjusted their pace to meet the demand. The restaurant's food is very good, the counter people both pleasant and knowledgeable. They only had one small pizza oven and it looked to me like they could have used at least one more!! All-in-all, I can give Papa Leno's high marks. ( and NO! We didn't see Jay Leno any where!)

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Turp4gold
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Comfortable dining. They serve Italian foods and sandwiches. No wine available any where in Berea. The food was hot and well prepared. Good for a limited budget.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Michael3735
Ocala, Florida
“Good Pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

We actually did delivery rather than go to the restaurant because we were traveling via motorcycle and it was raining. The pizza was quite good. We prefer a thinner crust but overall the crust was pretty good. The sauce was really excellent and the veggies popped well with the sauce. I would like to have tried the restaurant itself. Maybe next trip through Berea!

• Visited August 2013