“Give the Riviera Maya a Try!”
Review of Riviera Maya - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Riviera Maya
Cuisines: Mexican
Smiths Grove, Kentucky
“Give the Riviera Maya a Try!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Riviera Maya opened in Bowling Green three to four years ago. It is not your average Mexican restaurant. The interior is made of hardwood and stone from an Indiana High School. Who knows how, but the owner took building materials from an old high school in Indiana and crafted a unique dining spot for the Bowling Green area.

I must admit, I have not eaten at the Riviera since the last Football (Soccer) World Cup. I will be back sooner this time. The waitress told me that the menu was re-vamped three weeks ago. One of the crowd favorites is a fried whole tilapia. I will have that next time. This time around I ordered a meat mixture served in a deep clay pot. The meat mixture consisted of of chicken, beef strips, shrimp, and chorizo. I am sucker for chorizo. Shredded cheese is melted on top.

When it arrived I was amazed. First of all it was a huge amount of food. It wasn't just meat, but peppers, cactus, and scallions. The dish has a wonderful grilled taste. I was expecting it to be similar to fajitas. But that was not the case. The meat was moist and there were a variety of flavors. The vegetables had a wonderful grilled taste.

With the meal I enjoyed a regular margarita. I would have called it a jumbo. It was refreshing and hit the spot. My waitress kept checking on me and brought back extra napkins.

Lots of options on the menu and a wide variety of seafood. For once in the Bowling Green area, I have had something unique. This dish sets this Mexican restaurant apart from the others. Give it a try.

• Visited October 2013

“Best Guacamole”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Small place in the Shoe Carnival shopping center. Stepping inside reminds me of Mexico at Disney World. We gathered for team building with approx 12 people. Staff was very accommodating and on top of anything we required. Camarones Acapulco is delist. The guacamole is fresh made, chunks of avocado, onions, and definitely the right amount of fresh garlic. Easy on the wallet too. Margaritas were great tasting too, balanced and not at all over powering or off putting.

Visited December 2012
Smiths Grove, Kentucky
“Great Mexican on BG South Side”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I came here on a suggestion from a seasoned local. The atmosphere is nice, everything is clean and well kept. Service was excellent, our drinks were never close to being empty. Portions are HUGE, I could barely put a dent in my meal. The menu is big and has options for just about everyone. The salsa was good (the mark of a good mexican restuarant for sure!). Our meals were moderately priced and we enjoyed it! We did have a little trouble finding it at first, it's tucked away in the strip mall connected to Kroger off Scottsville. Being new to Bowling Green, we had no idea where we were going! It is close to I-65 and most hotels in that area. Chuy's is close but given the choice for mexican in that are of BG, there's no comparison!

• Visited July 2013
Bowling Green, Kentucky
“Best Mexican in BG”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Riviera Maya in the K mart center has become our favoriye mexician resturant in town. The food is always excellent, the service on the ball, and the portions are above average so oone always leaves with a togo box. The inside of the resturant is stone that holds down the noise for other dinners. There are 3 rooms that also makes it feel more open and less full durning busy hours.

• Visited February 2013