“Faultless fishing and superb hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gillhams Fishing Resorts

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Khao Thong
Gillhams Fishing Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Khao Thong
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Faultless fishing and superb hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Its very rare when you visit an attraction, hotel or restaurant and a) you cant fault it and b) everything surpasses your expectations.

The lake accomodation and landscaped gardens were outstanding, the bungalows are modern clean have fantastic views of the lake and have powerful air conditioning.

Gardens and surrounding were immaculate - if a leaf fell the gardeners picked it up immediately.

All the staff both thai and english were polite happy and helpful.

The bar restaurant area was reminiscent of a planters colonial house and really couldnt be faulted. Food was a mixture of english and thai (with some australian thrown in too).

The fishing itself was beyhond our expectations both my wife and I are novice fishers and caught amongst other things a 70lb plus carp each.

Our guide John was outstanding, explaining all that we needed to do and showing great patience in our instruction, which paid off with some super fishing.

We are normally pretty critical but quite frankly the whole experience was outstanding

We would reccomend this to any one from a novice to expert, we hope top be visiting again soon

Room Tip: Tell them when you book what kind of fish you are hoping to catch - as some of the pegs are more lik...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kevincharles3995

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We spent our first week in Thailand at this resort, the fishing lake is stunning and the bungalows are lovely with spectacular views.The staff and the guides can't do enough to help and our stay was fantastic. This resort is a good base if you want to visit other parts and islands around Krabi. There is an excellent choice of food at the resort. Our highlight was my partner catching 100lb Chao Phraya catfish.Thank you Gillhams for making our stay a most pleasurable one and I'm sure we will come back one day.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

if you love fishing then gillhams is an absolute must, the lake is beautiful - i completed a day trip in 01/12/2013 - all the staff cannot help you enough and really help you catch the fish of your dreams.
they will pick you up and drop you off from your hotel, bring you drinks and food throughout the day and advise you on everything you will ever need to know to catch your personel best. a serious lake with serious fish !!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have just spent the most amazing week at Gillhams, a truly special and unique place. From the moment we arrived, the scenery took our breath away and continued to do so every day we spent there. It's a family run business which gives it the personal touch and all the staff from the restaurant to the cleaners to the guides cannot do enough to help you. The bungalows are comfortable and clean with an incredible view; once you open the curtains, you can lie in bed and look directly onto the lake. My husband is the fisherman but I was literally riveted to his fishing swim every day and was as excited as he was to see what he would catch next! His first couple of days were slow with only Paku and an Amazon Red Tail coming out but this changed and he caught more Red Tails (45, 50 and 70lbs), Siamese Carp (55 and 70lb), but his highlight was catching a 280lb Arapaima! The guides are simply fantastic; Joel, Geoff, Jut, Chris, Declan, Nathan and Gloc. Without each and every one of them Chris wouldn't have caught the fish he did, so thank you for everything you did to help him. If as a 'significant other' you are apprehensive about a fishing holiday as I was, don't be........it is impossible not to fall in love with this place. If you don't like the idea of sitting in the swim whilst your other half fishes there is a lovely swimming pool and the opportunity to go on plenty of trips from the resort. I am a runner and managed to get 40 miles in running around the lake (0.6 miles or 0.75 if you run around the Lure lake per lap) so there is plenty to do. The food in the restaurant is lovely and a good selection of Thai and English is offered. We went onto Ao Nang for 6 days but couldn't resist coming back to do one last day of fishing before going home!
As a fisherman this place makes your dreams come true, as a fishermans wife the sheer pleasure on my husbands face will stick with me for a very long time. We have already booked for next year!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lovetoskiLondon
Barton on Sea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I left Gillhams fishing resort today after 9 days fishing. This trip was a present from my wife for my 40th birthday and I can truly say the best present I have ever been given. The resort itself is beautiful, accommodation good and staff extremely friendly. There is a good selection of western(English), Indian and Thai food to enjoy in the evenings after a long days fishing. However, the most important thing to mention as an angler is the fishing........where do I start. Firstly the fishing guides who assist you each day, these guys were the best and a special mention to Joel, Geoff, Chris, Nathan and Jut, I can't thank you enough for the time you spent with me, helping me with rig choices, baits and the good banter each day, they even helped me get a few extra yards with my casting! These guys couldn't be more helpful and I feel I've come away a better angler after my time spent with them. The guides help you decide on where and how to fish and are very knowledgable about the types of fish and how to catch them. Their priority is the care of the fish and it was great to see how they handle the fish which really shows in the quality of the fish. Now the fishing.....I went to Gillhams with a personal best of a 34/lb 10oz Carp, the guys told me on day one that I would smash that record and as the week went on my dreams came true! After a few slow days I started catching regular fish, many carp in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and my new PB of an 85/lb Siamese carp. Extremely content with that I went on to catch 6 new species of fish, topped off with an arapaima of 330/lb (yes 330/lb!!!!!) and a Mekong of 120/lb. During my time there I also got to meet a real mixture of anglers and got to meet some great people. Gillhams is truly a fantastic place and I will be looking to book my next trip when back home in a few weeks. I have been fortunate to fish several places around the world and I can honestly say that I found the true anglers paradise at Gillhams resort.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cyphersurfer
surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Combined this resort with a beach holiday for our honeymoon and have to say our week at Gillhams was the icing on the cake!!

Fabulous location which took our breath away on arrival. Five days fishing produced around 35 fish between us and several different species, including siamese carp to 70lb, redtails to 65lb, arapaima to 250lb and a mekong catfish of 120lb - only possible due to the knowledge and expertise of the wonderful guides! A special thanks to Dec who was our main guide for three of the days and worked so hard for us and also Geoff, for being a true gent and providing his knee for the newly wed Mrs to get out of the lake back on to the bank with relative ease!

Great resort, staff, accommodation, food etc and we could not fault anything. Will definitely return.... AWESOME!

Thanks again, Alan and Jacqui

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

A definite to add to the bucket list for all fisherman. My husband and I just spent 3 days at the resort and loved every moment. The fishing, the staff, the guides and overall service was outstanding. We were very sad to leave and are already planning next years trip. Not only do the guides share their knowledge but they also bring all your food and drink to you so that you don't have to leave your fishing spot for one second. A double bonus if you are a non fishing wife as you don't have to do a beer run! I can't recommend it enough and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
#10 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Gillhams Fishing Resorts? Share your experiences!