“An Amazing experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Khao Thong
Gillhams Fishing Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Khao Thong
Manama, Bahrain
“An Amazing experience”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

At Gillhams I had my first experience with Lake fresh water fishing. And for a beginner I couldn't have started at a better place.
The location is amazing as the lake is surrounded by such beautiful natural scenes. The bungalow I had was very clean with very comfy beds( I was told the mattresses were changed after a previous remark that they were hard) and the air conditioner + fans were very cool.
The fishing experience itself was made successful by a set of professional and experienced guides who worked very hard from dawn to after 8 pm to ensure the comfort and safety of all.
The fishes were well looked after and handled with the utmost care .
There was one restaurant but who served the most delicious Thai food I ever had in all my trips to Thailand, to the degree that I never needed to try any other cuisine.
I was very impressed by Gillhams, my planned stay of 3 days was extended to 7 and a half days and I would have stayed longer have I had the time.
All over this is a superb place for keen people who love fishing.
5 full stars for Gillhams with special thanks to Stuart, sean, Becky and my guides John, Chris and Steve.
Thank you guys for making this a most memorable experience.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank drjsaleh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ilminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My family and I visited Gillhams for my 50th birthday we stayed at the resort for two weeks, the staff and fishing guides were so helpful nothing was to much trouble for them. They would recomend trips which could be booked at the bar, they also offered a good taxi service, the food at the resort was very good. The fishing was out of this world I fished for seven days spread over two weeks, all bait and tackle was supplied. My best fish was 130lb (59kg) Mekong catfish. The scenery was mind blowing, if you visit you will never forget the experience. I will definitely be going back again as there are bigger fish to catch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Steve H
England
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We enjoyed some great days cat fishing in Koh Samui last year and researched Gillhams as a great place to fish this year. We were completely blown away this is no ordinary angling resort the gardens and the setting is incredible, the 13 acre main lake is surrounded by some of the most stunning views of the mountains and natural surroundings in Krabi and you never get tired of the view.

We opted to stay in the resort and arrived late on Saturday 4th July, lovely Becky had waited up for us and kindly even cooked us a meal before showing us to our bungalow. The bungalows are quite basic but have everything you need, a good firm bed, good aircon, large bathroom, tea and coffee facilities working fridge and a safe. They also have a TV in the rooms but we never used it.

Staying at the venue is the best idea it means you get more choice on where you fish on the lake and you also get an extra hour in the morning and at night so a days fishing starts at 7am and finishes at 8pm. Having been on numerous fishing trips with my husband the worst bit has to be getting all your equipment to the bank and setting up not so here, you chose your fishing peg and at 7am all your rods are set up and waiting for you along with bait and a cool box and chairs.

One of the best bits about Gillhams is the incredible guides, we worked with Joel, Steve, John, Chris and Glok (sorry if I spelt this wrong). The guides really do know their stuff and are all passionate and experienced anglers they know how to fish the lake, pay attention to what these guys tell you and you won't go far wrong. On top of the brilliant advice they also fetch you drinks, water and food from the main restaurant, so you never need to leave the bank. The most exciting thing is when you get a fish on you have a whistle to blow and out of nowhere a guide will appear to help you land your prized fish. The fish are carefully brought in by net or special landing equipment for the large fish like the Arapraima which are tricky to get in safely. Once brought in the welfare of the fish is top priority you can take pictures but only in the water with the fish, as soon as they are caught they are unhooked and their mouths are treated for any damage caused, time for a quick picture and they they are quickly released. You can really tell the fish are looked after and our fit and healthy as its not easy to bring them in and the rod bends and runs will take your breath away. In total we caught 1237 lbs of fish over 6 days fishing, we caught over 10 species, we both caught an Arapraima 130lb and 160lb we caught some lovely Siamiese Carp 30- 60lb weight and some fantastic Amazon Red Tail Catfish 40-70lbs (if you catch one of these listen out when you lift it out of the water for your photo they actually bark!).

We did six straight days at the resort and then hired a Villa in Ao Nang for a week. This worked well for us the fishing days where very long and you only had time for a quick shower, tea (beers) and then bed we never left the resort, we paid a lot of money for the experience and we wanted to focus completely on making the most if it which we did. The food at the resort is excellent and the green curry is the best we have tasted across all of Thailand.

If you do take some none anglers to the resort don't worry they still have plenty to do, I took an afternoon off to go elephant trekking with my daughter and her boyfriend, the trip was brilliant and well organised. What else can I say about Gillhams except it was amazing and we are already planning a return journey next year.

Thanks so much to the hard working guides and Gillhams team for making our fishing trip one of the best experiences we have ever had.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great we stayed in C3 which was handy to get to most fishing pegs.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JanetteD
Northamptonshire
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Wow! What an amazing place. We spent a week here for the final leg of our honeymoon and it was the best place ever! Fab fishing, excellent environment, great guides, superb food and service (even bankside, so totally spoilt and no disturbing the fishing!). A family environment with everything you could ask for. They also arranged some trips and transferred for us, nothing was too much trouble! A holiday of a lifetime...we would highly recommend regardless of fishing experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie H
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Travelled here with a friend for a long weekend and pretty much immediately wished that we'd put together a longer trip. The moment you arrive and stand in the bar / restaurant area and look over the lake, it's hard not to get excited - the place feels incredibly fishy, huge carp and mekong catfish are invariably crashing around on the surface and in our case someone was in the middle of landing a large Siamese carp at one of the closest pegs.

Make no mistake this is really only somewhere to visit if you want to fish; yes there is a swimming pool (was being repaired when we were staying as it happened) and yes you can take trips to beaches etc. and yes there's an any method lake with smaller fish in for youngsters... but the focus here really has to be on the big fish hunting side of things. If you're in ANY way interested in fishing, and have the chance to visit Gillhams, DO IT! I cannot imagine how someone could be disappointed really, it's just such a magical place.

That said, the fishing isn't easy; whilst it is a man made lake (you'd never know it from appearance) it's not a commercial puddle filled with starving carp. There is an element of effort required, and one of the biggest things you need to do is listen to the guides and follow their advice. I'm a novice when it comes to targeting big fish like this (I was an avid match angler in the UK on rivers and canals but my PB before arriving here was a 24lb carp from Canada...), so I placed a lot of faith in the guides, primarily John who looked after us two guys most of the time. Sure, you can use your own watercraft and angling knowledge too of course - but these chaps live on the lake day in day out, including their days off work, and they all catch a lot, so it makes perfect sense to listen to them! They take great pleasure out of doing their job well too.
Fishing wise, between us over 2.5 days of fishing (2 days for my mate and 3 for me) we had one Arapaima of 280lb, one Siamese Carp of 40lb, ten Amazon Redtails up to 60+ lb, ten Asian redtails up to 25lb, five Pacu up to 15lb, a spotted Sorubim of 20lb and a lovely 8+lb Arawana. I also lost a large Mekong after 40 minutes of getting thoroughly worked over, and lost two Arapaima on my last day. Gives me something to come back and rectify!

John really was a pleasure to fish with, both because he knows his onions when it comes to angling and because he clearly cares a lot for the welfare of the fish (and nature in general). He's also a nice bloke and very easy to while away the hours with yakking about all sorts! The care shown to all fish is great, with all the focus being on ensuring they are handled properly and their welfare comes first.

If you want to be picky, you could say the rooms are in need of some modernising - I think this is actually planned anyway - the beds are a bit on the hard side, and the furniture is kinda old etc but seriously... if you ARE focused on the fishing, you'll be totally unfussed by the rooms needing a spruce up!

The food is great - the thai food is really very good quality, and they do western foods aplenty too if that's more your thing. You can get food collected and brought to your peg by the guides and the thermos cups they bring you tea in are brilliant! You can have a cuppa for hours on end with those and it doesn't get cold, perfect if it rains...

We will definitely be back; I'm in two minds about taking my wife and kids along, as the resort for me isn't really an easy one for them to enjoy. I think the potential plan would be, if they did come along, to fish 7-10am, do something in the daytime, then fish 5.30-8pm. The lake is unquestionably slower fishing wise between 10am and 5pm, and whilst I loved sitting there for 13 hours each day, I wouldn't worry about missing too much if I did spend family time away from the lake.

For what it is meant to be, i.e. a big fish paradise, this place ticks all the boxes and more. Already checking work diaries and flights...

P.S. If the resort isn't full, and the bungalow side is the one facing the most fishing pressure, it is worth "the walk" round to the Sala side. My best hour of the trip came when I made the effort to go across there after nobody fished it for a few days.
Tight lines!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Porters73
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I really can't add much to what others have already said! Great fishing, friendly, helpful guides, beautiful grounds, and amazing scenery. The fish are healthy and treated well, which is great to see. We stayed here as a couple for 5 nights and loved it. The aircon in the rooms worked well, the food was fine, and the drinks were cold and plentiful. If i had to be brutally honest and critical, I'd say that the bathroom smelt appauling due to the drains (had to keep door between bathroom and bedroom shut at all times due to the smell) and whilst I know, and accept, that matresses tend to be very firm accross Asia, the bed felt like it was made of slate, which gave us both back ache and sleepless nights. Having said this, we'll definitely return (perhaps taking a padded matress topper with us!) and I'd certainly recommend the resort to those who want great fishing, in stunning scenery, with clean, basic accommodation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A great location and a fantastic setting. All the guides offered patience and a wealth of knowledge and they really made the stay memorable, really can’t thank John enough as with his guidance I had one of the best fishing experiences in years.
I was very much a novice before I visited Gillhams so this fishery will suit everyone, thanks what a great Team.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
#7 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort
Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi

Been to Gillhams Fishing Resorts? Share your experiences!