“Fantastic - great location, accomodation and wonderful hosts & staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Khao Thong
Gillhams Fishing Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Khao Thong
melbourne
“Fantastic - great location, accomodation and wonderful hosts & staff”
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Gillhams is a one of those travel "treasues" you come across very occasionaly. It is not your touristy, on the beach hotel and we were thankful for that. It is a little bit of heaven nestled in fantastic scenery, very private yet very casual. You get to know all the other guests by first name, nothing is too much trouble, the accomodation is perfect, lush gardens, pool, lake views. Although set up to entice anglers from around the world you don't have to fish but you will find it hard to resist giving it a go. Food is great. Gillhams is like being at your friends home - so relaxed. Our other travelling companions booked to stay on the beach in a hotel at Au Nang but enjoyed being with us at Gillhams. We hired a car for our week stay or the resort can take you where you want to go. The owner, Stuart, and his staff are so easy going - it was a very pleasurable stay and most highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2009

My husband had pre-booked a day’s fishing on line at the Gillhams Fishing resort on Krabi island as, as part of our holiday to Thailand we were to be staying in the Krabi Resort which is close by. (see separate review for Krabi Resort). I myself am not interested in fishing but decided to accompany him anyway (there is no charge for visitors who do not fish). Stuart, who owns the resort built it from scratch six years ago and it really is a beautiful place. A lot of hard work and thought has gone into the design of the place and although we didn’t see inside the bungalows where you sleep if you book to stay at the resort, they looked very spacious and were set amid beautifully manicured lawns and exotic plants, shrubs and trees. The place is very tranquil and the lake is absolutely huge with “swims “ featured all along each side. There is also a swimming pool which although not huge was more than adequate and spotlessly clean. The restaurant and bar area is open sided with cooling fans in the ceiling. The menu is very extensive and both the lunch and dinner we had there were absolutely delicious. You can have liver and bacon with mash (which my husband did), a variety of burgers, steak & kidney pie or pudding just to mention a few. There is also a selection of Thai and Indian dishes, I tried the yellow noodles with prawns which was to die for. I also saw several full English breakfasts being served, which again looked absolutely yummy ad all freshly cooked to order.

Stuart’s wife collected us from our hotel at around 7.15 and we made the short 15 minute journey to the resort. Two rods were already set up for Jerry (my husband) and a huge bucket of ground bait and a pot of dead bait was provided at his “swim”. There are small structures at each “swim” providing shelter from the sun. Once all the ground bait was used, another bowl was provided and the same with the dead bait (this is included in the price). Personal rods are not allowed. Apparently they have several world record fish in the lake and the photos adorning the walls of the restaurant go some way to proving this. I am no expert on fish but an Arapaima in one of the pictures looked like the Loch Ness Monster and indeed took three men to hold it.

Stuart, his son Sean and Scott (better known as Bruce !!) took very good care of us all day long, one or other of them were constantly checking to see everything was alright and asking whether we needed drinks, food or bait or just any general help. At the time we were there, they were full up and every swim was taken. I had a dip in the pool in the afternoon which was lovely and very refreshing and Stuart even offered me his own bungalow to change in as we were not staying at the resort.

Jerry was getting a bit despondent by around 6pm as he had not caught anything and as it was getting dark, I decided to sit in the restaurant where I could read. Stuart had told Jerry he could fish until 8pm if he wished (he didn’t need asking twice). Finally at around 7.45 Sean came tearing through the restaurant headed for Jerry’s swim saying “he’s got a fish, he’s got a fish”, my book got flung aside as I followed in hot pursuit with the camera. After what seemed like an age the fish was landed, a beautiful Siamese Carp (pics attached). Not, by far, one of the biggest in the lake, indeed as Sean/Scott said – “ a tiddler” but nevertheless Jerry was an extremely happy bunny. I have to say the fish are treated with kid gloves, so to speak, they are never kept out of the water for too long and everything possible is done to prevent causing unnecessary distress to them. I wish Jerry had caught one of the monster Arapaima and I know Stuart, Sean and Scott were all hoping the same, as well as Jerry but it was not to be, and a Siamese Carp is better than nothing. After a lovely dinner with coffee and brandies to follow, Sean drove us back to our hotel.

I am sure if we return to Thailand we will definitely go back to Gillhams and I would recommend anyone who is interested in fishing to check out the website www.gillhamsfishingresorts.com
and if going to Thailand be sure to book a day’s fishing. I have attached several pictures but in all honesty they really do not do the place justice.

I would be pleased to answer any questions but anything technical to do with fish I will have to pass to Jerry !

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JoyBarnet
Derby
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Gillhams has a great location around 15 minutes outside of Ao Nang and 15 minutes from Krabi. The setting and scenery are just stunning- some of the best I have seen anywhere in the world. On site there is a restaurant that serves great English and Thai food from early until late with great service. The menu is so varied its possible to have something different for every meal for two weeks!
The gardens and maid service keep the resort immaculate, with nothing out of place. As with everyone we met in the region, the staff are unbelievably friendly and nothing is too much trouble.
Great fishing, great resort, great people- I can t recommend it enough!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Thaibox-uk
Boracay
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We booked a 5 day stay at Gillhams, as my husband had heard about the fantastic fishing and couldnt believe that it could be true.

After the 5 days were up we were sad to leave and we would have loved to have stayed longer. Even though i am a non fisherwoman i was welcomed at the resort and i enjoyed relaxing by the pool or reading my book on the large verranda looking out over the lake and at the stunning scenery that surrounds Gillhams. This place is so peaceful that its hard to believe that Krabi and Ao Nang are only a short drive away.

Steve and Benz cook the most fantastic food and the menu is large and varied and includes Thai and English classics. There is also a large variety of Alcoholic and Non Alcholic drinks.

Now to the fishing......... My husband has been a keen fisherman for many years and the fish that he was catching at Gillhams really were out of this world. Huge 200lb Arapaimas and massive 70lb carp were being caught on a regular basis. Stuart, Sean and G'lock were always on hand to give help and advice and these fish are treated with love and respect. Every piece of equipment needed was on hand and was to the highest standard and you were given all the bait that you could wish for.

To sum it up, for any of those non fishing partners out there, do not hesitate to go along to Gillhams with your partner, you will enjoy the peace and quiet whilst your partner is fishing, you may even be tempted to try it, i know i was!!

• Liked — The view over the lake and surrounding scenery
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Havant, Hampshire
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Just arrived back from ten days in Krabi after staying at the Amari Vogue and really didn't think there was much better out there but when I called Stuart to go along to his place to do some fishing I was completely wrong.

The place Stuart has is fantastic and provides "First Class" fishing within an amazing location. This is just the start though and there is so much more. What Stuart, Sean, Steve, Noi, Benz and even the infamous G'lock have to offer is without question some of the best service and freindly natured people I have had the pleasure in meeting. From swimming pool, great food (both Thai and English), a great selection of drinks (including a great cuppa), amazing fishing, beautiful scenery......oh and one last thing the most beautiful fish to catch!

I was there for a day and a half and got some great fish, look at the pics! This place is for the pro or even the amateur and the help on hand from Sean and G'lock is brilliant.

Prices are real competitve and definately worth it when you catch one of the beauties I did.

Should you book I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did?

Thanks guys for a great time! Oh and by the way i'll be back to hook that 70kg plus Arapaima that got away!

• Liked — The staff helped so much and nothing was too much to ask.
  • Disliked — Not catching that Arapaima!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barrera006
Perth
Reviewed 20 July 2008

.Gillhams is actually a world class fishing resort, set amongst stunning scenery and a few minutes away from Krabi town an the tourist "strip" of Au Nang.

We had hired a car in Phuket and thought we would try out the resort where my wife would sit, read and relax whilst I would have a go catching a few fish. We used Gillhams as a base to travel about which was much easier than I thought it would be with excellent roads and light traffic.

I wish now that we had stayed for the whole ten days of our vacation at Gillhams. The accommodation alone was much better value than anything we came across in our travels. The place is brand new with lovely modern chalets set about a magnificent lake and a soaring mountain backdrop.

The food was the best we have had in all our trips about Thailand and we ate with the family. You can have English or Thai food served when you want. They have an English and a Thai chef. A new restaurant is just about to open.

By the way, July is a great time to visit - the weather was good and it is a lot cheaper at this time of year. And I caught BIG fish as well!!

Nothing was too much trouble for Stuart, Benz, Sean and Noi who run the place. You can relax in the magnificent gardens and they will bring you a tea or a beer, handle the laundry and produce a top meal as if by magic.

Sean, Stuart Gillham's son runs the fishing and has several pets including a Slow Lorris and a Python - not in the same room though! Benz is Stuart's partner and is a delight, with the typical Thai friendly nature. She is a very classy lady, so we nicknamed her Mercedes. Noi looks after the housekeeping and everything is absolutely spotless!

We are missing the place already and are busy saving our pennies for next July.

All the best to Stuart and the crew at Gillham's.

• Liked — Spotless and contemporary design.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Khao Thong
Aonang Cliff Beach Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi

Been to Gillhams Fishing Resorts? Share your experiences!