Bananas Bungalows
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Krabi Sands Resort(Krabi Town)
View Hotel
All reviewssecret beachbioluminescent planktoncommunal dinnermosquito netkrabi townthe ownerstone bungalowwe loved our stayall you can eatrelaxed atmospherearrange transportationdorm roomlow tidehighly recommend this placeother gueststhe kitchen staffair con
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Banana's in a bamboo bungalow with private bathroom and mountain view (800THB/night).
The resort is pretty far off civilization - you have to take a taxi from ao nang for 600 THB to the Banana's (call Olli if the drivers tell you a higher price or need instructions to go there - hardly anybody in ao nang knows it). Even though there's not much around in a radius of like 25km, Olli provides scooters and bikes that you can rent on a daily basis for a small fee. Furthermore he organizes trips to the islands around and kayaking tours (we did one around monkey island which was awesome!! we even had some macaques in our boat stealing our water - so drink up fast!! :) ).
The bungalows themselves are cute (they are built with lots of nice little details! In fact, all you can wish for in a bungalow resort - I couldn't imagine a thing I would have done differently if I was running the place), comfy and provide enough space for two people. The showers are cold water showers which is not a problem, though, because it's hot outside anyways ;) If you're very much into privacy I would recommend a stone bungalow because you can hear everything through the bamboo walls (including a muezzin nearby who starts singing at 6 in the morning) - yet I preferred the bamboo ones!!
The main reason why I would definitely go there is the great atmosphere. The pier with the colourful hammocks is perfect for relaxing after a long kayaking trip, the outdoor kitchen and living room offer the perfect place to sit and talk to the other guests till late in the night... Btw the food was the best we had on our trip through Thailand!! We had the pad thai there (which was just perfect!), a great massaman curry, a pumpkin dish, ... Actually, everything on the menu was delicious, also the shakes were tasty (I liked the coconut shake the best ;) )! And I would definitely recommend to join the common dinner every night - you pay like 150THB per person and have a buffet with a main dish, an appetizer and a dessert, all you can eat, of course. You get also vegetarian versions of the dishes if you ask for it. It's really great and you get to try new original Thai dishes. It's a pretty family-like atmosphere :)
All in all, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants some quiet after busy Bangkok or Phuket!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I spent two nights in Bananas Bungalows in February 2013. This beautiful spot is a half hour ride from Krabi by local taxi, or hitching.
Set on the stunning Krabi coastline in a mangrove forest and surrounded by limestone karsts on land and at sea, Bananas is an ideal getaway for backpackers and travellers in southern Thailand who want to escape the neon face paint crowds thronging PhiPhi and the honeymoon or family set ups found in so many other islands nearby.
An communal evening meal - both simple fare when I stayed there - brings everyone together and gives travellers a chance to share stories and couples a chance to talk to other people. The kitchen also does a range of Thai and Western food from early morning.
Highlight of the stay - relaxing on the wooden deck at the edge of the mangrove and walking on the sands at sundown.
Most telling moment of the stay - the cheer that went up from the backpackers when the wifi was reconnected...
Bananas has a dorm with beds available from 300b per night, to concrete bungalows for 1400b per night.

Room Tip: Call or email in advance to get a room - Bananas is busy all year round.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My wife and I only spent one night at the Bananas Bungalows, but it was quite possibly one the best nights of our 3 week vacation through Southeast Asia. The place is owned and run by a very hospitable man named Ollie. Right when we arrived, he told us that dinner would be at 7. This was something I did not expect when booking the night through Hostelworld, but it was very iconic of the family-feeling nature of our time here. Dinner was excellent! Ollie had everyone come together for a fish fry with stir-fryed vegetables over rice, It was very good and reasonably priced, especially since Ollie kept telling me to go back for seconds, thirds, and fourths. I really enjoyed this family feel and the opportunity we had to talk to people from other cultures because of it. That was probably the thing we enjoyed the most about this place. Everyone was so nice and helpful, and they were all genuinely interested in our lives just as we were interested in theirs. Our night stay was very relaxing. We enjoyed sleeping with just the mosquito net; and while we understand that some people might not like this kind of living, we found it very refreshing. The view from the dock out over the water was absolutely gorgeous! All of these areas have plenty of chairs and hammocks to relax the day away. I wished we could have stayed here longer to truly enjoy it all. If you want to see other parts of Krabi this might not be the place for you as it's kind of in the middle of nowhere, but that's exactly why we chose this place. If you want a relaxing time away from the croweded, touristy areas of Thailand, then this is the place for you. Fantastic service, the relaxing family atmosphere, and the reasonable price would definitely make us come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

Peaceful , quiet , relaxing , secluded , quirky all help make this place a haven for doing absolutely nothing!. It is outside with nature so if you are a light sleeper then bring some ear plugs as nature can be a bit noisey. Plus the 5:30 mosque gave me an early morning wake up call. But it shut up after a while and after a few days with ear plugs I didn't hear it at all. The Food menu at the bungalows is very good. A communal style dinner served in the evening. A main computer is available for use and patchy but useable wifi is available around the main areas. Push bike and motorbike hire is available for those who want to explore. So you are not absolutely stuck there. Just up the road is a really nice restaurant with decent wifi and a really nice view .This was the relaxing start to our onward travels that we needed.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We spent 7 nights at Olli's bungalow's. If you are looking for a high quality - low key experience - this is the place for you. Olli has a number of activities lined up (boat trips, kayaking, scooter rentals, etc) and can organize just about anything for you. His on site kitchen will prepare delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between for you. It's a very relaxed atmosphere, perfect to unwind. Things are basic but very functional and I am amazed what you can build from bamboo. The bungalow's are great and you sleep in the middle of nature (that includes frogs, no A/C, spider, etc ... but I thought this was great). Don't miss swimming at night in the bioluminescent plankton!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple