“Quiet place”
Review of Bananas Bungalows

Bananas Bungalows
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

That is what this is,
I don't think there is any intention to mislead guests but there is no beach, just an estuary and a little pier. At 900baht for "beach facing" bungalows they are expensive I feel. Setting is quiet for a getaway but remote and very expensive taxi ride and ridiculously priced trips (hong island tour is 2000baht and we did it from further away for 450baht).

If you want to stay here rent a scooter and stay in the cheaper rooms, more expensive isn't better. Go to secret beach up the road as its nice. The Tom kaa soup is nice but communal dinner at 150 per person is also quite pricey. Over all though olli is a great guy and very bouncy and chirpy. Take a bus not a taxi and rent a scooter!

4  Thank Michael11_10

Reviewed 7 March 2013

This was a last minute choice and we were not disappointed. Even though it is far away from everything, in that lies it's beauty. A great place to recharge. The resort offers access to everything in the area though either via scooter or with organized transport.Highly recommend is the kayaking only 3 km away from resort with a free pick up and drop off service,was a highlight of our trip. We stayed in nr 1 bungalow that seems better equipped than the rest with aircon and hot water. The food is truly great and the communal dinning at night with fellow travelers ads value to the experience. There is no direct access to the beach or any great swimming options. In the light of this a swimming pool would make a great addition', come on guys make a plan!. Ollie the host is jovial and very helpful with everything. the kitchen staff is great and massages on site competes with the best around. Other highlights in the area include the tiger cave temple and emerald pool.

Room Tip: Room one that is a concrete not bamboo bungalow seems better equipped.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miracles_d0_Happen
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

Based on our research on Trip Advisor, the photos shown on the official website allure tourists in, with the promises of a get-away type of bungalow set on a quiet beach front area, with mopeds available on site for easy access to Krabi and Ao Nang.
The reality, however, was somewhat misleading. The photos are not quite the reality. Furthermore, we did not feel this was the advertised "bungalow facilities on a budget". It was 900 Baht ($31 US) a night for a bungalow with no seaside view (in fact it's a dock, NO beach!), and a cold shower. Over priced for nothing other than a mattress with a roof over your head. As well, there are only 5 mopeds available. So if they're all taken upon your arrival you truly are stuck. It's either an expensive taxi or cheap bus ride into town. Or, pay a higher price for a moped rental up the road! The wi-fi was sporadic, and at times it wasn't working for hours on end.
While the home cooked food was exceptional, and the honour system for drinks refreshing, it's not a place that I would recommend to others. It's far too off the beaten path.

5  Thank BrownGuuy
Reviewed 28 February 2013

It is certainly a tradeoff mentality. I really had to remind myself that I really can't stand participating in boardwalk tourism and that bungalows is a great respite for it. However, it is far and seems even farther when you're tired and sun burned from visiting the beaches near Ao Nang and you're driving back on a moto in the pitch black; occasionally being blinded by random trucks/cars passing you in the opposite direction.

If I did know of someone planning to stay here, I would tell them to please please please try to arrange a moto rental beforehand because you will be stranded and bungalows only has five motos available. However, the huts are very pleasant, bathrooms clean and yes, the food is quite good. Although the food is nice, I think the biggest selling point of it, is the community aspect to get the opportunity to meet other travelers at the bungalows. If you're not too social, then I would recommend skipping the dinner and grabbing something in Ao Nang or Krabi town. I would recommend this to a friend that wants seclusion and to build relationships with fellow travelers. The environment at bungalows is certainly conducive to that but if you want to explore the beaches and other attractions, perhaps it would be worth it in time and money to pick something in Ao Nang. ALSO, for some reason, I thought this WAS in Ao Nang because Ao Nang is associated with the address on Tripadvisor but it certainly isn't. So, another tradeoff is that a taxi to the hostel is very expensive and you can't get it cheaper as the taxis and long tail boats are now regulated. I believe ours was 800-900 baht whereas a shuttle to a hotel/hostel in a better location (Ao Nang, Krabi town) was 300-400 baht. Obviously, the shuttle was not even an option for us. I would definitely do more research in airport transportation if it's your first time in Krabi. So yes, Bananas is nice but there are tradeoffs...and have Olli arrange transportation for you as our cab driver was in his own personal hell trying to find this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gtech
Reviewed 28 February 2013

If you are looking for an escape from the techno blasted beaches of Thailand, this is the place for you. Very chill atmosphere and amazing scenery. When I mean "Krabi serenity" I mean there is nothing nearby; no restaurants, no clubs, just a few small grocery stores (if you can even call them that). Everything you plan to do excursion, food and event wise you do from Bananas. For example it was a 30 minute taxi ride arranged from Bananas to get to Krabi Town. Also the "secret beach", the only real beach nearby is a good 40 minute trek away, and down a steep cliff (so reserve a motorbike when you first get there!).

Most of the dinners are communal and all the other meals you can order whenever you want. All food and drink is recorded via honor code into a notebook. The food is delicious and there are always vegetarian friendly options available.

The bamboo huts are really nice to stay in, but be aware that they do not have hot water for the showers (good for the sunburn, bad during chilly nights). There are however, hot showers available outside of the huts. Also, be prepared to hear prayer calls in the distance beginning in the early morning hours that continue throughout the day.

*This place only takes cash so make sure you bring more than enough!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for four nights and really enjoyed our stay. Olli were very helpful and can arrange any sort of activities you want to do in the area.
We stayed in one of the thatched bungalows and loved it. It was simple and just had the basics but that's all we needed. The shower is only cold but that's perfect after a hot day. It was very clean and if you needed more towels or blankets all you had to do was ask.
The only downside was that us wasn't on a beach. There are scooters and bikes you can rent to get there. One day they ran out of both so we had to walk but instead we hitch hiked which is pretty easy in that area. The closest is 1.5km away but it's not the greatest. I would definitely recommend going the extra distance to secret beach if you stay here. The Internet/wifi could also be terrible at times.
All in all it was a great place to get away and relax. If you don't need to be beachfront then I would definitely recommend this place!

1  Thank onelife14
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Banana's in a bamboo bungalow with private bathroom and mountain view (800THB/night).
The resort is pretty far off civilization - you have to take a taxi from ao nang for 600 THB to the Banana's (call Olli if the drivers tell you a higher price or need instructions to go there - hardly anybody in ao nang knows it). Even though there's not much around in a radius of like 25km, Olli provides scooters and bikes that you can rent on a daily basis for a small fee. Furthermore he organizes trips to the islands around and kayaking tours (we did one around monkey island which was awesome!! we even had some macaques in our boat stealing our water - so drink up fast!! :) ).
The bungalows themselves are cute (they are built with lots of nice little details! In fact, all you can wish for in a bungalow resort - I couldn't imagine a thing I would have done differently if I was running the place), comfy and provide enough space for two people. The showers are cold water showers which is not a problem, though, because it's hot outside anyways ;) If you're very much into privacy I would recommend a stone bungalow because you can hear everything through the bamboo walls (including a muezzin nearby who starts singing at 6 in the morning) - yet I preferred the bamboo ones!!
The main reason why I would definitely go there is the great atmosphere. The pier with the colourful hammocks is perfect for relaxing after a long kayaking trip, the outdoor kitchen and living room offer the perfect place to sit and talk to the other guests till late in the night... Btw the food was the best we had on our trip through Thailand!! We had the pad thai there (which was just perfect!), a great massaman curry, a pumpkin dish, ... Actually, everything on the menu was delicious, also the shakes were tasty (I liked the coconut shake the best ;) )! And I would definitely recommend to join the common dinner every night - you pay like 150THB per person and have a buffet with a main dish, an appetizer and a dessert, all you can eat, of course. You get also vegetarian versions of the dishes if you ask for it. It's really great and you get to try new original Thai dishes. It's a pretty family-like atmosphere :)
All in all, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants some quiet after busy Bangkok or Phuket!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 4 in Khao Thong
Khaothong Terrace Resort
Khaothong Terrace Resort
#3 of 5 in Khao Thong

Been to Bananas Bungalows? Share your experiences!