“Paradise on Earth”
Review of Bananas Bungalows

Bananas Bungalows
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I have never been so sad to leave somewhere in my life. Staying in a bamboo bungalow at Bananas was the highlight of our 16 day trip. Location is wonderfully away from all the tourist madness but yet only a 35 minute motorbike ride to Ao Nang. Plenty of local activities to keep you busy for several days, Olli rents motorbikes right on site, meals were excellent, prices were very fair and beer was cold. We met great people, had great conversation late into the nights and swam in the bioluminescent plankton. Swimming at high tide was great right off the pier and low tide gave a great chance to walk and explore the sand flats. Olli's provided great company with his relaxed personality and great sense of humor. Beautiful sunsets! Been gone for over 2 weeks and there hasn't been a day I haven't thought about this place.

If your looking for a social environment away from the crazy tourists, this is a must stay. We will be back!

Best to have Olli arrange your transportation from airport or get advise from him in advance for bus details.

Room Tip: Seaview Bamboo bungalow with bathroom was great
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bananas Bungalows

Reviewed 17 March 2013

I had a great time during my stay at Bananas! I was able to escape the normal "crowds" and "tourists" that you find at many of the beaches in Thailand. It was perfect for relaxing, watching the sunset, and swimming in the clear blue water. There are also many activities to choose from while I stayed there I went kayaking through a mangrove forest and Andrew showed me to a beautiful secret beach! The food is AMAZING and Ollie is wonderful and always friendly, it made me feel right at home! I didn't want to leave after day 4 but I'm so happy I found this place! I know I'll be back one day. Thanks Bananas for the good times!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 March 2013

While some of the bungalows could stand to be fixed up a little,* overall this is an attractive place, and you get a sense that it’s loved and that its owners want to take good care of it. The grounds surrounding the bungalows stand out as being especially pretty. You can’t help but be fond of the dwarf chickens that wander around the garden at their leisure, and enjoy the hammocks facing the dock. The greatest asset to this place, however, are the people it draws, and its communal setup, which makes it easy, if not inevitable, for even the shiest of guests to strike up a conversation with other fellow travelers. I will cherish the ones I took part in while there, with fascinating people from all over the world. Under different circumstances, then, I would have gladly rated this resort four stars out of five, instead of the three I ended up giving it.

What displeased me, and determined my final assessment, was the staff’s reluctance to divulge the rates of the additional services provided on site prior to our arrival. In a place so secluded and distant from everything (including ATMs), you really need to be willing to invest a little money in the activities on offer, unless you are looking to do absolutely nothing for the entire duration of your stay. I had a feeling this would be the case and requested information on what was offered and on how much it would cost via email, on more than one occasion, so that I’d have enough cash at my disposal. My questions to this effect were simply ignored. As others have pointed out in their reviews, some of the recommended activities—and indeed even the evening meals, which it would be hard to avoid for lack of readily accessible alternatives—come with price tags bigger than you would perhaps expect.** So why not be more forthcoming?

All in all, it was a fun experience and we were able to see and do enough—though not everything we would have liked to—with the money we had brought along. Nevertheless, I think prices should either be stated on the resort’s website or provided to those who request them, given how secluded the place is. The irony of it is that we would have spent more, and hence the resort would have profited more, had we simply been forewarned of the cost of things.

So while I would recommend Bananas Bungalows to a friend, I would also advise him/her to bring along plenty of pocket money.

*In our stone bungalow, the bottom sheet had several holes in them, and the A/C unit was so loud it was hard to sleep with it on during the night. At 1400-baht/night, that seems a little substandard.

** As an example, the four-island tour, which we enjoyed a lot, costs 2000 baht, regardless of how many people take part in it (but that’s not including the required 200 baht/person entrance fee to the park). The evening meal costs 150 baht. A can of beer costs 50 baht. For instant coffee we were charged a steep 45 baht. It adds up quickly.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank kikiricky
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

That is what this is,
I don't think there is any intention to mislead guests but there is no beach, just an estuary and a little pier. At 900baht for "beach facing" bungalows they are expensive I feel. Setting is quiet for a getaway but remote and very expensive taxi ride and ridiculously priced trips (hong island tour is 2000baht and we did it from further away for 450baht).

If you want to stay here rent a scooter and stay in the cheaper rooms, more expensive isn't better. Go to secret beach up the road as its nice. The Tom kaa soup is nice but communal dinner at 150 per person is also quite pricey. Over all though olli is a great guy and very bouncy and chirpy. Take a bus not a taxi and rent a scooter!

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Michael11_10
Reviewed 7 March 2013

This was a last minute choice and we were not disappointed. Even though it is far away from everything, in that lies it's beauty. A great place to recharge. The resort offers access to everything in the area though either via scooter or with organized transport.Highly recommend is the kayaking only 3 km away from resort with a free pick up and drop off service,was a highlight of our trip. We stayed in nr 1 bungalow that seems better equipped than the rest with aircon and hot water. The food is truly great and the communal dinning at night with fellow travelers ads value to the experience. There is no direct access to the beach or any great swimming options. In the light of this a swimming pool would make a great addition', come on guys make a plan!. Ollie the host is jovial and very helpful with everything. the kitchen staff is great and massages on site competes with the best around. Other highlights in the area include the tiger cave temple and emerald pool.

Room Tip: Room one that is a concrete not bamboo bungalow seems better equipped.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miracles_d0_Happen
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

Based on our research on Trip Advisor, the photos shown on the official website allure tourists in, with the promises of a get-away type of bungalow set on a quiet beach front area, with mopeds available on site for easy access to Krabi and Ao Nang.
The reality, however, was somewhat misleading. The photos are not quite the reality. Furthermore, we did not feel this was the advertised "bungalow facilities on a budget". It was 900 Baht ($31 US) a night for a bungalow with no seaside view (in fact it's a dock, NO beach!), and a cold shower. Over priced for nothing other than a mattress with a roof over your head. As well, there are only 5 mopeds available. So if they're all taken upon your arrival you truly are stuck. It's either an expensive taxi or cheap bus ride into town. Or, pay a higher price for a moped rental up the road! The wi-fi was sporadic, and at times it wasn't working for hours on end.
While the home cooked food was exceptional, and the honour system for drinks refreshing, it's not a place that I would recommend to others. It's far too off the beaten path.

• Stayed: February 2013
5  Thank BrownGuuy
Reviewed 28 February 2013

It is certainly a tradeoff mentality. I really had to remind myself that I really can't stand participating in boardwalk tourism and that bungalows is a great respite for it. However, it is far and seems even farther when you're tired and sun burned from visiting the beaches near Ao Nang and you're driving back on a moto in the pitch black; occasionally being blinded by random trucks/cars passing you in the opposite direction.

If I did know of someone planning to stay here, I would tell them to please please please try to arrange a moto rental beforehand because you will be stranded and bungalows only has five motos available. However, the huts are very pleasant, bathrooms clean and yes, the food is quite good. Although the food is nice, I think the biggest selling point of it, is the community aspect to get the opportunity to meet other travelers at the bungalows. If you're not too social, then I would recommend skipping the dinner and grabbing something in Ao Nang or Krabi town. I would recommend this to a friend that wants seclusion and to build relationships with fellow travelers. The environment at bungalows is certainly conducive to that but if you want to explore the beaches and other attractions, perhaps it would be worth it in time and money to pick something in Ao Nang. ALSO, for some reason, I thought this WAS in Ao Nang because Ao Nang is associated with the address on Tripadvisor but it certainly isn't. So, another tradeoff is that a taxi to the hostel is very expensive and you can't get it cheaper as the taxis and long tail boats are now regulated. I believe ours was 800-900 baht whereas a shuttle to a hotel/hostel in a better location (Ao Nang, Krabi town) was 300-400 baht. Obviously, the shuttle was not even an option for us. I would definitely do more research in airport transportation if it's your first time in Krabi. So yes, Bananas is nice but there are tradeoffs...and have Olli arrange transportation for you as our cab driver was in his own personal hell trying to find this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thalane Palm Paradise Resort
Thalane Palm Paradise Resort
#4 of 4 in Khao Thong
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Bananas Bungalows? Share your experiences!