“Very quiet, relaxing place!”
Review of Bananas Bungalows

Bananas Bungalows
London, United Kingdom
“Very quiet, relaxing place!”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We (couple in our 20s) visited Ollie's secluded paradise on a stopover to Krabi for two nights..

Good
- The location is beautiful. You're in the middle of nowhere, sharing the great outdoors with chickens, bats, monkeys, frogs and crabs! And after a week in Bangkok and Phuket, all you'd want to do is lie in a hammock and listen to the wind blow through the trees. Mmmmmm.
- We had a bamboo bungalow, it has the absolute basics, but nicely maintained!
- The communal area is a great idea, you can help yourself to drinks or snacks and there's an honesty book where you write what you've taken, and Ollie adds it up at the end of the stay. Also, his staff cook a wonderful meal every night and everybody sits down together and gets to know each other, such a great idea!

Bad
- The beach isn't actually a beach, it's more of a mudflat/wetland, so don't expect to build any sandcastles.
- Very little to actually do, unless you want to spend money, which leads me to....
- Bring cash! Lots of it, there's no ATMs, and paying for the food, on top of hiring scooters, bikes and organising trips quickly adds up.
- DO NOT trust the taxi drivers who claim they know "exactly" where this place is - trust me, they don't. Make sure you book a taxi through Ollie.

It's a great place for a two night stopover, just make sure you hire a scooter and go exploring!

Room Tip: We had a bamboo bungalow, which had a fan rather than A/C. Get a stone hut if you want full blown ai...
4 Thank Miles D

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My partner and I stayed at Bananas at the end of March. It was a great base to go out and explore all of the local attractions and temples. The bungalows are great and have everything that you need, we stayed in a bamboo one with no air con and were fine. When the tide comes in the evening swim was an unexpected bonus! The food is fantastic, and the idea of sitting together every evening is great, especially if you are travelling alone as it is a great way to strike up conversations. I highly recommend this place if you want to get away from the big resorts as it couldn't be further from them.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CoraScott
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Banana bungalows is a great spot to relax for a few days. Beautiful spot with great swimming (when the tide is in.) Please don't miss swimming after dark when you can see the bio-luminescent plankton- one of the coolest things I've ever done!! The food is good and Olli, the owner is very nice and helpful. Bananas is pretty secluded so be prepared to hang close- but there are lots of activities to do. We took a great kayaking trip one day. The bungalow with shared bathroom was cool- definitely a rustic bungalow with tons of ants. Overall, a great place to relax, do some fun activities and to not miss the plankton!

Room Tip: I don't think sea view rooms would be worth the extra money because there's not much of a se...
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I have never been so sad to leave somewhere in my life. Staying in a bamboo bungalow at Bananas was the highlight of our 16 day trip. Location is wonderfully away from all the tourist madness but yet only a 35 minute motorbike ride to Ao Nang. Plenty of local activities to keep you busy for several days, Olli rents motorbikes right on site, meals were excellent, prices were very fair and beer was cold. We met great people, had great conversation late into the nights and swam in the bioluminescent plankton. Swimming at high tide was great right off the pier and low tide gave a great chance to walk and explore the sand flats. Olli's provided great company with his relaxed personality and great sense of humor. Beautiful sunsets! Been gone for over 2 weeks and there hasn't been a day I haven't thought about this place.

If your looking for a social environment away from the crazy tourists, this is a must stay. We will be back!

Best to have Olli arrange your transportation from airport or get advise from him in advance for bus details.

Room Tip: Seaview Bamboo bungalow with bathroom was great
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I had a great time during my stay at Bananas! I was able to escape the normal "crowds" and "tourists" that you find at many of the beaches in Thailand. It was perfect for relaxing, watching the sunset, and swimming in the clear blue water. There are also many activities to choose from while I stayed there I went kayaking through a mangrove forest and Andrew showed me to a beautiful secret beach! The food is AMAZING and Ollie is wonderful and always friendly, it made me feel right at home! I didn't want to leave after day 4 but I'm so happy I found this place! I know I'll be back one day. Thanks Bananas for the good times!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 10 March 2013

While some of the bungalows could stand to be fixed up a little,* overall this is an attractive place, and you get a sense that it’s loved and that its owners want to take good care of it. The grounds surrounding the bungalows stand out as being especially pretty. You can’t help but be fond of the dwarf chickens that wander around the garden at their leisure, and enjoy the hammocks facing the dock. The greatest asset to this place, however, are the people it draws, and its communal setup, which makes it easy, if not inevitable, for even the shiest of guests to strike up a conversation with other fellow travelers. I will cherish the ones I took part in while there, with fascinating people from all over the world. Under different circumstances, then, I would have gladly rated this resort four stars out of five, instead of the three I ended up giving it.

What displeased me, and determined my final assessment, was the staff’s reluctance to divulge the rates of the additional services provided on site prior to our arrival. In a place so secluded and distant from everything (including ATMs), you really need to be willing to invest a little money in the activities on offer, unless you are looking to do absolutely nothing for the entire duration of your stay. I had a feeling this would be the case and requested information on what was offered and on how much it would cost via email, on more than one occasion, so that I’d have enough cash at my disposal. My questions to this effect were simply ignored. As others have pointed out in their reviews, some of the recommended activities—and indeed even the evening meals, which it would be hard to avoid for lack of readily accessible alternatives—come with price tags bigger than you would perhaps expect.** So why not be more forthcoming?

All in all, it was a fun experience and we were able to see and do enough—though not everything we would have liked to—with the money we had brought along. Nevertheless, I think prices should either be stated on the resort’s website or provided to those who request them, given how secluded the place is. The irony of it is that we would have spent more, and hence the resort would have profited more, had we simply been forewarned of the cost of things.

So while I would recommend Bananas Bungalows to a friend, I would also advise him/her to bring along plenty of pocket money.

*In our stone bungalow, the bottom sheet had several holes in them, and the A/C unit was so loud it was hard to sleep with it on during the night. At 1400-baht/night, that seems a little substandard.

** As an example, the four-island tour, which we enjoyed a lot, costs 2000 baht, regardless of how many people take part in it (but that’s not including the required 200 baht/person entrance fee to the park). The evening meal costs 150 baht. A can of beer costs 50 baht. For instant coffee we were charged a steep 45 baht. It adds up quickly.

7 Thank kikiricky
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

That is what this is,
I don't think there is any intention to mislead guests but there is no beach, just an estuary and a little pier. At 900baht for "beach facing" bungalows they are expensive I feel. Setting is quiet for a getaway but remote and very expensive taxi ride and ridiculously priced trips (hong island tour is 2000baht and we did it from further away for 450baht).

If you want to stay here rent a scooter and stay in the cheaper rooms, more expensive isn't better. Go to secret beach up the road as its nice. The Tom kaa soup is nice but communal dinner at 150 per person is also quite pricey. Over all though olli is a great guy and very bouncy and chirpy. Take a bus not a taxi and rent a scooter!

• Stayed February 2013
Thalane Palm Paradise Resort
Thalane Palm Paradise Resort
#4 of 4 in Khao Thong
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Bananas Bungalows? Share your experiences!