“Extremely Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 2 Calvert City B&B and Inns
Danville, Kentucky
“Extremely Disappointed”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Made a reservation via telephone on Tuesday, February 28th with Carolyn for the nights of March 2, 2012 and March 3, 2012.

Carolyn asked what time we would be getting in on 3/2/12 and I told her probably 6pm, but possibly sooner. I asked what time check-in was and she said: “any time after 3:30pm will be fine.” I told her I would call her if we arrived prior to 6pm to ensure she was at home.

Our schedule changed and we arrived around 3:20 pm so I called Carolyn and to ask when we could check in. She did not answer the phone, so I left her a message. I waited a few minutes and then called the alternate number and Carolyn answered. I told her we had arrived in town and wanted to go ahead and check in as soon as possible. It was 3:25 pm at this point.

Carolyn said she was at the property, but did not have a room ready for us. She said: “we’ve been lazing around all day watching the tornado warnings” and had not prepared a room. She said it would take her about an hour, or maybe an hour and a half, to get the room ready. I told her we would occupy ourselves for an hour and 15 minutes and come by then. She said that would be fine.

We arrived at the property at 4:40pm, one hour and fifteen minutes later, one hour and ten minutes past “official” check-in time. Carolyn met us at the door in sweats and house shoes and said she still did not have a room ready then asked us to wait an additional 20-minutes. She suggested we “walk around the acreage.” She made a very unprofessional impression.

We waited in the driveway for 35 minutes (until 5:15pm) with no indication from Carolyn, so I went to the door to check on the status of our room. I rang the bell several times and knocked loudly on the door, but nobody answered. At this point I concluded that Carolyn did not actually have a room for us, so we left and drove to the nearest town to look for a hotel room.

As we were checking into the hotel, an additional 23 minutes later (at 5:38pm), over two hours past official check-in time, Carolyn called and said she now had a room ready. I explained to her that we were going to stay elsewhere since she was unable to provide us with a room as reserved. Carolyn became argumentative and said she was still going to charge my credit card because “she did not give refunds.” I tried to explain to Carolyn that we had kept our end of the bargain by showing up for the reservation, but she had not kept her end by having a room ready. All she did after that point was try to argue with me.

The property itself is less of a farm and more of a 1980's vintage vinyl sided house on a country road. Everything on the front porch of the house was covered in dirt and dust including the house siding itself. I think it's fair to say the property is misrepresented on the website and not anything like we expected. We were still game for staying at the property, but Carolyn had made no preparation for our arrival and we were worried about having somewhere to stay for the night.

Not sure where the few positive reviews come from unless it's folks with much lower expectation of service who've never stayed at a real B&B. I would strongly recommend you look elsewhere if staying in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank None7759

Illinois
Reviewed 16 October 2010

When we arrived no one was there, no note, nothing. We called the cell number and got no answer. Ten to fifteen minutes later Carolyn arrived. Our room was not ready. This was past the time for check in, not early. She forgot that we were coming. She suggested that we go out to dinner, we were not ready to go out. We wish that we had gone out and never returned.
It is the strangest place. The family was there for Sunday dinner and there is no separation of guest area and family. We felt trapped in the room. When we went to fill the jacuzzi tub there was not enough hot water, it went cold before it was filled.
Many windows have no window shades. We like a feeling of privacy, especially as family was on the grounds. The other guest room was left dirty and uncleaned.
We did not like this place and would not go back. Plus the county around Kentucky Lakes is Dry, so when you go to Paduca for wine, they will rip you off, the prices were double easy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bed&breakfastfans

Travellers are raving about these Calvert City hotels

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I had an incredible comfortable room(BY THE LAKE) which suited me perfectly as a solo traveler. The grounds are wonderful which you can enjoy at your leisure. Carolyn is an absolute delightful hostess and the blueberry pancakes are not to be missed.
Spotlessly clean I couldn't have wished for anything more. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Bowling Green, Ky
Reviewed 29 December 2009

My husband and I stayed here on 12/27/09 and had a wonderful time. Our suite was spacious and charming, but our favorite things about this B&B were the amazing homeade blackberry crepes, the pet deer named "Bonnie," and the 20 acres of beautiful land that we were permitted to roam. Oh, and Bob and Carolyn were quite enjoyable too. Bonnie, the deer will come right up to you and let you pet her! We had such a nice time and would highly recommend this experience to anyone who loves nature.
Ps. Don't miss out on Patti's restaurant (and settlement) - the food and the decorations are to die for!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 August 2005

We stayed one night and were the only guests. We stayed in the "Tree House". We thought it had a peaceful view from the windows (you do see the driveway if you look down but look OUT and you see flowers and trees and beauty!!! It's very secluded and quiet. The room was clean and very lovely. The bathroom was very nice and has a nice shower and a jacuzzi and a large vanity. The vanity was soiled when we arrived but when I drew her attention to it she immediately cleaned it. The jacuzzi is wonderful -- plenty of room for two but is difficult to get in and out of. The owner was very helpful in directions and made reservations for us for dinner at a fabulous restaurant called "Patty's" - highly recommend eating there. The owner asked us what time we would like breakfast which we said 9:00 a.m. She served it at alittle before 9:00 and it was delicious. One of the best breakfasts I've ever had. We would recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 November 2003

We stayed four nights here. The room had a wall full of windows on the east side of the building that captured the full morning sun waking us up at the crack of dawn (no shades here). Not to mention that our room faced the driveway/parking lot. So much for a romantic night. For a place with a jacuzzi, we got one towel & washcloth apiece per night.
Also, the jacuzzi was next to impossible to get in an out of due to poor installation. On the third night we came back to find that they had resurfaced the driveway (oh the smell of tar to get you in the mood). The next night we came back to find they had been painting and the smell of paint fumes drove us out in the middle of the night. We tried to stay the night after the innkeeper tried to circulate fresh air with the Heat/AC. She had told us that she would refund us if we felt that we had to leave, but then after we returned home said it would only be half a night since we stayed part of the night. Also, as we complained about the paint we were told that they needed to get this done since they had a full house coming in that weekend. Hope that you are never caught as their only patron. The one good thing at this place was breakfast, but it was never served on time.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Patti's Inn & Suites
Patti's Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Grand Rivers
Best Western Paducah Inn

Been to Wildflowers Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!