“dirty room equipment not working properly”

General Butler State Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Carrollton
Dawson Springs Ky
“dirty room equipment not working properly”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The check in was pleasant enough but after that it went down hill. The room was quite a distance from the parking lot and once in the room, the carpet was filthy. When I turned on the light in the bathroom it failed to light up beyond a dim glow. That did it. I asked for a refund and checked out all within 10 minutes. They didn't argue about refunding my money.

Room Tip: Ask t see your room before you check in
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank George S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Edwardsville
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was in town for a book fair and needed a cheap place to stay. The Kentucky state parks were offering two nights for $90, which is hard to beat, but at that price I expected a fleabag. I was pleasantly surprised with a lovely room, quite spacious and scrupulously clean with two double beds and space for a large rollaway if needed. The bed was far more comfortable than some hotel chain beds I've slept in, and the vaulted ceiling in the oak-panel room made it feel quite open and homey. Plus, the balcony overlooked the swimming pool, woods and beyond it, the river. It was March, so the trees were still bare, but I can imagine the glorious view if it had been fall.

And this was in the cheap end, the rooms on the exterior-corridor wing of the hotel. Some rooms are inside the resort building with interior corridors, so if that matters to you, best to mention it when you book your reservation. The staff was cheerful and pleasant, the views were great, the lobby was charming and of course the grounds were lovely: it's a state park.

One caveat: on the first night, I thought it was absolutely, blissfully silent and peaceful. Apparently that's because I didn't have neighbors. On the second night there was someone in the room next to or below me, and even though they clearly weren't raising their voices, I could hear every word they said almost clearly enough to join in the conversation. And when their wakeup music came on at 9 a.m., sure enough, I was up too. Not much sound insulation.

In all, I'd stay there again, especially at that rock-bottom price. The drive to Madison, Ind. was a bit far for me because the bridge was out, but apparently it's only a 20-minute drive into historic Madison when the bridge is open, so consider this a good alternative to the high-priced hotels in Madison.

Room Tip: If interior corridors matter to you, mention upon booking. Some rooms have exterior corridors.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Elizabeth D
Harrison, Ohio
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to a nice Thanksgiving getaway. A great Thanksgiving dinner in what we understood to be a three star dinning room and a night in the lodge.
Simply stated the room was bare bones. Two of the three lamps were broken, no place to put luggage, the drapes would only fully close ,etc.
Our Dinner! We waited 1 1/2 hours to be seated. we were escorted through the dinning room to what looked like the employees break room. Plastic chairs and banquet tables. The service was buffet. the food was mediocre cafeteria quality.
What a mess! We checked out of our room at 8:00pm and went home.
DONT WAST YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money!
1 Thank Robert O

Travellers are raving about these Carrollton hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed here over the weekend. This is a gem of a place. The room was nice and quite comfortable. We stayed in a king room. It had a private balcony facing the woods with a screen door and a steel door. The front entry had a view of the inn, the pool, and the woods. There wasn't much to do, however that was one of the reasons we chose this place. I am sure it would be a nice place to visit during the summer with more to do there. The pool is huge too. The inn had a pretty nice restaraunt. We had all our meals there. The food was good as well as the service. The place wasn't perfect, but we plan on visiting again. The room did not have a small fridge or microwave, but if we wanted that we could have stayed at one of the cottages.

2 Thank ddabh
louisville
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Went to this location for a getaway middle of the week. Cabin with fireplace was our choice. Cabin was dated but nice. Strange arrangement with bathroom across the living room from bedroom plus a step at bedroom entrance. Also a door into bedroom from outside as well as one into living room did not make sense looked like bedroom was added on. Saw mouse traps in living room and bedroom closet as well as behind television in bedroom. Later that evening found out why. Heard noise in bedroom like tapping found mouse in trap behind tv. Called front desk and informed them, the young lady at the front desk said she would be down to remove the trap. While waiting wife saw another mouse run across kitchen floor. This was enough that we called and asked to change cabins, we went to from desk at 11:30pm and told the only cabin they had with a fireplace was a two bedroom, They moved us to that cabin.

We got in that cabin decided to have a snack needing the microwave which did not work. Called they said it would be the next day before they could get someone to fix or replace it. The fireplace in the 2nd cabin was very loud could not hear television without turning it all the way up. After turning on gas fireplace three times if finally became quite, maybe first time used this year but was fine after that.

The next morning called at 8:30 to remind them that microwave wasn't working. Maintenance man did not arrive until 10:15 to repair reset circuit breaker.

Cabin was clean but the full beds in the rooms were against the wall making it difficult for the person on that side to get out of bed.

If it wasn't for the front desk staff being so friendly and willing to help this would have been a terrible trip. They saved the day.

I know that this is the low season for this park and rustic cabins can have animal problems but knowing that there is a problem and renting the cabin to individuals is questionable.

Room Tip: Eat at least one meal at the lodge food was very good.
2 Thank Shangri_la_Seeker
Austin, TX
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is a hotel in a state park, which already gives them a leg up. It's quiet, and beautiful, and the rooms overlook either a forest or the pool (which is the better view, because past the pool is more forest and a view down into the valley). My room was clean, spacious, and had a nifty balcony with chairs and a table facing one of the forest trails. Staff were all friendly. The onsite restaurant has an all-glass V-shaped back wall, with spectacular views into the river valley below and the forest all around. Upstairs is a lounge area (not a bar) with the same views. Ya' just can't beat sitting in a relaxing, comfortable chair watching eagles play.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool - better view. Or, if you're a hiker, ask for a room at t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Neskya
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was the first leg of our trip. 3 nights at General Butler. I have to say the staff (Jeff) was great. I mixed up my reservations online and he fixed them for me and even took us in his cart to show us the available sites. (the one I reserved wasn't open...thank goodness!) Great guy. We lucked out and got a site on the same row as the full hookups. This is not a "noise free" campground. You will hear the traffic. The campground is not gated either. (made me nervous w/ 4 kids) The grounds are nice but some of the sites (90's) are tight and well worn. It was ok....not the tranquil "away from it all" feel. Nice mature trees made it appealing to sit outside. Putt-putt looked fun. The lodge seemed nice when we visited it to look around. (didn't eat there) and the bathouses were kept up just fine. No complaints there. A little difficult to get a hold of anyone as the guard house never had anyone man it the whole time were were there after we checked in. Don't think we'd return due to the noise factor. We camped in a hybrid.

Room Tip: Pick a site that is full hookup or right across from them.
Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nofitpitchinkids
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrollton
Hillside Inn
Comfort Inn Madison
Comfort Inn Madison
#4 of 7 in Madison
Ramada Sparta/At Speedway

Been to General Butler State Resort? Share your experiences!