“Restaurant FABULOUS” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Carrollton
Kentucky
“Restaurant FABULOUS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

Oh, my... I just have to contradict the review dissing the food at this resort park... I'm quite familiar with all of them (visit frequently) and have to say this is the BEST, and the others are really, really GOOD. This one has a bona fide gourmet chef and is actually open to the public; you can't find a seat after church on Sundays. They also participate in the "Kentucky Proud" locally grown food program, so all is fresh and native. The seafood is out of this world; the Shrimp Scampi, Catfish Lips, and Rainbow Trout are to die for, and the Hot Brown is (in my opinion as a Kentuckian) very good, as is the luncheon Ruben sandwich. If you have appetite enough for the buffet, you'll love everything!!!

The lodge itself is gorgeous architecturally, with a huge stone fireplace casting lights on the soaring glass windows in winter, although I wish the park were still a ski lodge and not a golf course, as we have plenty of those and NO ski lodges now...

The pool is fabulous and incredibly convenient' it's literally at the door of your lodge room, as are the vending and ice machines. If you prefer a more rustic setting, there's the Woodland Wing overlooking trees and hills, which gives more balcony privacy...

I can't praise Kentucky State Parks enough, and this one is especially inviting, with it's friendly front desk staff and very convenient location right off the interstate; although you don't have to drive miles and miles out of your way, it's a "retreat."

This park was built in the 30s by the CCC and is just lovely.

• Stayed September 2008
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank otterhere

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2008

We stayed overnight in the lodge -- a planned stop in a longer trip. The room was clean and roomy enough for the three of us. I think it has been a long time since they have updated/remodeled, but we found the older style lodge room charming and enjoyed the small poolview patio on the backside of our room. The price was very reasonable and we enjoyed checking out the town. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The only complaint we had was one that will probably prevent me from choosing to stay there again. The walls in our room were such that we could hear other people's conversations -- from the next room and from outside. It wasn't that we could just hear that they were talking and/or that the TV was on. We could hear what they were saying! The television sound was clear enough that it could have been in our room.

Stayed October 2007
Cincinnati, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2007

This is a long review because there were none for the cottages and I so wish I'd had some insight before I went. Also, I would have given the cottage I stayed at three stars instead of two except for the bathroom. The cottages are before you get to the lodge but you must check in at the lodge first. Past the cottages there's a camping site for people with small RV's and tents I believe. I'd seen the showers on a previous visit to explore the park and found them to be clean and very warm in the autumn so I hoped the cottages would be clean and nice. I still had a fear of something utterly rustic to the point of unclean but resolved not to stay the night if that was the case. I called ahead to see if I needed to bring sheets or anything and was told it was just like a hotel room and, well darned if it wasn’t.

Check in and out at the lodge was fast and easy. They had modern key cards to get in and housekeeping will change the towels for you. That was a problem for me though. At around 8 or 9am there was a very loud knock on my door and it near about scared me to death. Well it was housekeeping with clean towels but what I had been told when I checked in was that if I wanted new linens to leave the old ones in front of the door so I was still in bed sound asleep because the night before we’d stayed up later than I’d planned just talking so when they came I was so not expecting that. I would advise anyone not wanting an early wake up to call the front desk and specify that and I realize 8 or 9 isn’t early for some but for others it might be.

The cottage had a compact kitchen with flatware, cast iron pans, coffee maker, mugs, even dish detergent. There was a skylight over the kitchen area, which gave a nice amount of natural light so you didn’t have to open the blinds if you didn’t want to. It’s basically a one room efficiency with the bed(s) in a back corner and the kitchen on one wall just before the only closed in part, the bathroom. There’s a folding table of wood with matching chairs by the window facing the patio when you walk in and in between all that is the small living room area, which isn’t really small. There’s a love seat and a chair with an ottoman and of course a television. There are exposed wood beams above which along with the skylight give the place an airy feeling. There’s also a brick wall, which gives it the rustic feeling I was expecting. There are plenty of windows so you can look out at the foliage. The cabin I stayed in didn’t have screens in the windows but I opened them anyway to air the place out because it was a little stuffy. Also, the patio has nice black patio furniture, a table and two chairs so it’s enjoyable to sit outside.

I brought my own sheets even though they said I didn’t have to because I wasn’t sure of what to expect and I did use them. Not to say theirs were dirty, they weren’t but my daughter said the bed smelled. It was really a stuffy kind of smell I think so I was glad I had my sheets. Also the bathroom is small though certainly efficient but there was some mold in the shower. I didn’t have bleach but did try wiping some of it down. It was faint mold not thick grotesque stuff but still – mold! That and the stuffiness of the place are really the only things I didn’t like, oh and the early wake up.

That aside, the location is beautiful, they have a wonderful inexpensive golf course a friend of mine really enjoys (he recommended the lodge to me but I fell in love with the cottages when I went up to hike last year), they have paddle boats when in season, you can fish, canoe, play mini golf and we even went to a Pow Wow they had on the grounds. There was also a car show the day we were leaving and oh what beautiful old cars just driving around the park for all to enjoy before parking! So besides taking walks by the lake there were actually plenty of things to do to keep my teenager busy. She was, however, greatly disappointed that they didn’t have the Internet. No hookup, no Wi-Fi and she tried everything believe me. Cable had limited stations but it served the purpose because I didn’t go there to watch TV but to relax and that in itself, along with the lack of Internet, helped to get her out of the cabin.

The state park has quite a lot of events scheduled through out the year so you may want to check that before making a reservation, you could call them as well. It’s also very convenient to fast food if you don’t want to cook and nearby are a Super Wal-Mart and Kroger’s if you want groceries or need anything. I bought a bunch of inexpensive flowers and a vase at Wal-Mart for the room, which you’ll see if I’m able to put up the pictures I took. I did try the food at the restaurant and I simply can’t recommend it at all. Also, the small menu I took from the front desk doesn’t explain the exact hours meals are served. For instance I found you could only order sandwiches during lunch time but then I was ordering from the cottage planning to pick it up so perhaps it’s different when you go to the restaurant for lunch. The pasta was plain, the hot brown was lumpy and blah and the chicken dish smothered in cheese with bacon and onions was also plain. The salad bar was good though I don’t usually do salad bars.

Enough about food! I was very happy with the sense of privacy I felt in the cottage. There were a lot of people just taking a leisurely stroll as well as little kids running around but the cottage still felt very private with some of the blinds facing the main road left closed. The kids weren’t noisy (good parents!) and you didn’t hear any loud noises once inside which I really appreciated. When I checked out an older lady who’d been in the cabin across from mine (they’re not really too close together at all) asked me if her kids had bothered me and I told her they really hadn’t. Overall I was pleased enough to want to go back, see how another cottage is this time one with a fireplace. I would seriously hesitate to go back a third time if I found mold again though and mind you I didn’t call housekeeping when I was there because I didn’t feel it was that drastic and we were vegging out and didn’t want the hassle of being bothered. For the most part it was a pleasant experience – the smell of wood fires burning and the beautiful leaves sailing in the air almost like snow falling, just a really quiet, peaceful time.

• Liked — The location right smack in the middle of a beautiful state park.
  • Disliked — Mold in the bathroom and the stuffy air.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank StormyWindRider

Travellers are raving about these Carrollton hotels

Northville, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2005

We stayed one night at the General Butler State Resort at the main lodge, and wish we could have stayed longer, but they were sold-out. The main lodge and restaraunt were very nice, the lodge rooms were clean, food was great, and the pool was fabulous! Probably the best outdoor pool at a moderately priced hotel we've ever seen (only nicer outdoor pools were at Disneyworld, but you pay 4x more).

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank kak531
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2005

Loved the people, golf course was rough but great greens, food was excellent. Beautiful lodge.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrollton
Hillside Inn
#1 of 7 in Carrollton
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 7 in Carrollton

Been to General Butler State Resort? Share your experiences!