“Motorhome Site”

General Butler State Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Carrollton
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Full service lots available, water, sewer, electric and more space than usual between lot. The lodge is nice and clean. Beautiful over look into a valley. Not a large park but just right if you wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Outdated rooms. But for price not bad place to stay. Clean pool and lake fun with fishing and canoeing. Old putt putt course needs updating. Cant beat the old train ride $1.50. Buffet at the lodge is bit pricey. Didnt stay at campground but location looked good with water and electric hook ups. Lodge resort needs some TLC and updates.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank S40601
Reviewed 9 June 2014

If you are a tent camper,there are very few good sites. The one we rented had no place for a tent at all, even though I specified tent when I booked online, and was small even for an RV. We had to switch sites to 001 by the campground entrance, which was a big site by the play ground. Unfortunately, I slipped on the wet grass on the slope leading to the women's bathhouse and broke my ankle, so we had to cut our 4 nights to 2.
There are some pretty views of the river in the park, and the town of Carrolton is close by and right on the Ohio & Ky rivers. We ate dinner in town our second night, our options were limited and not great.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Vicki C
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We are from northeast Ohio and we stayed at General Butler for a long Memorial Day weekend. The cottage we stayed in was actually really nice - updated cabinets and countertops, nice flooring, and the bedrooms were even nice. The only thing that I considered "dirty" were the comforters on the beds, I saw staining on them, but I never trust those any where I go! Otherwise, the cottages were really nice and clean and I felt were stocked pretty well with pans, dishes, soap, toilet paper, linens. The staff was so nice and checked in every day to bring us new towels or whatever we needed.

There were a few set backs to the trip and I know some of them were not the fault of the park but it was just a bummer - first off, the pool wasn't filled when we got there on Thursday. They told us it was going to be filled on Friday but of course would be very cold. Must to our dismay - Friday came and went and the pool was still not filled. Apparently a pump broke so they did give out free passes to the community pool so that was great. Also the lake was closed because the dam broke so no boating or swimming in the lake, and all the hiking trails were closed due to Emerald Ash Borer. Also the golf course needs a little TLC. I felt like we were "off roading" it in the golf carts most of the time. Some of the path is paved, some gravel, and some broken up asphalt. Quite a bumpy ride - but great views. The rec center was also closed whenever we went up there. We did not try the restaurant at the lodge.

Walking around the campground - the playgrounds were really nice and big and there were a couple of them. The camp sites were very close together.

So all in all - the staff was very courteous, the cottage was very nice, updated, and clean (other than the bed spreads), and unfortunately there wasn't much to do since trails, boating, swimming were all closed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mamabeanxo
Reviewed 6 June 2014

On a recent road trip, I stayed with my sister and my dog at the General Butler State Resort Lodge, and the experience had its highs and lows. I chose the General Butler because there were no rooms available in the charming Ohio River town of Madison, Indiana, and this seemed like an interesting nearby choice, and was dog-friendly. We were pleasantly surprised by the natural beauty of the surroundings, and the check-in experience was very pleasant. The room itself was not bad - a nice size, with comfortable beds, but it was showing its wear a bit. There was a poorly patched hole in the wall, but overall it was clean and comfortable.

We arrived around dinner time, and were surprised to see how packed the dining room was for a Friday evening seafood buffet, and overheard another guest say that it was a popular place for locals to eat. We decided to give it a try, and despite how busy it was, we were seated in fairly short order. The hostess asked if we wanted a drink, and we said we would start with water while we decided. She said if we were having the buffet, we could help ourselves, and that was the last we saw of a server. In fact we were nearly finished eating before we got drinks, and only got them then when we walked across the room and asked a server to help us. A person that we had never seen before, who was apparently our server finally showed up after the other person had brought our drinks. Similarly, it took about 20 minutes to get the check, and that only arrived after asking twice.

The park itself is very pretty, with what appears to be a challenging golf course, a beautiful hilltop viewpoint overlooking the Ohio River valley, several trails - perfect for walks with the dog - and an interesting historical mansion. We would recommend the rooms and the grounds, but have mixed feeling about the restaurant: the food was good, the service experience among the very worst.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Bookish12866
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The check in was pleasant enough but after that it went down hill. The room was quite a distance from the parking lot and once in the room, the carpet was filthy. When I turned on the light in the bathroom it failed to light up beyond a dim glow. That did it. I asked for a refund and checked out all within 10 minutes. They didn't argue about refunding my money.

Room Tip: Ask t see your room before you check in
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank George S
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was in town for a book fair and needed a cheap place to stay. The Kentucky state parks were offering two nights for $90, which is hard to beat, but at that price I expected a fleabag. I was pleasantly surprised with a lovely room, quite spacious and scrupulously clean with two double beds and space for a large rollaway if needed. The bed was far more comfortable than some hotel chain beds I've slept in, and the vaulted ceiling in the oak-panel room made it feel quite open and homey. Plus, the balcony overlooked the swimming pool, woods and beyond it, the river. It was March, so the trees were still bare, but I can imagine the glorious view if it had been fall.

And this was in the cheap end, the rooms on the exterior-corridor wing of the hotel. Some rooms are inside the resort building with interior corridors, so if that matters to you, best to mention it when you book your reservation. The staff was cheerful and pleasant, the views were great, the lobby was charming and of course the grounds were lovely: it's a state park.

One caveat: on the first night, I thought it was absolutely, blissfully silent and peaceful. Apparently that's because I didn't have neighbors. On the second night there was someone in the room next to or below me, and even though they clearly weren't raising their voices, I could hear every word they said almost clearly enough to join in the conversation. And when their wakeup music came on at 9 a.m., sure enough, I was up too. Not much sound insulation.

In all, I'd stay there again, especially at that rock-bottom price. The drive to Madison, Ind. was a bit far for me because the bridge was out, but apparently it's only a 20-minute drive into historic Madison when the bridge is open, so consider this a good alternative to the high-priced hotels in Madison.

Room Tip: If interior corridors matter to you, mention upon booking. Some rooms have exterior corridors.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Elizabeth D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrollton
Hillside Inn
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 7 in Carrollton
Holiday Inn Express Carrollton

Been to General Butler State Resort? Share your experiences!