“Loved this campground”

Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Mammoth Cave
Zanesville, Ohio
“Loved this campground”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

We stayed here 3 nights on site 109 while we visited Mammoth Cave. We arrived right at 9 pm (their time, remember traveling from Ohio they are one hour behind us!) which is closing for their registration desk but the young girl was very courteous although she had to help us right at closing. We appreciated that since we were so excited to have arrived. We stayed in our truck camper pulling our boat (went to Lake Cumberland after here.) Our site was very level and huge. No one was next to us so we had the place to ourselves which we loved. (We are not social campers!) We had a large grassy area to the right of us perfect for parking the boat while unhitched. It also allowed us the privacy of no one staring at us while enjoying our evening campfire. But, the site had no trees for shade. The majority of the other sites had trees. It was cool enough that didn't bother us but I could see in July how that could be a problem for this particular site 109.

The campground is built on a "hill" and we never could make it all the way "up" the hill on our bikes to the jump pillow, store, etc. that was at the top of the hill at the entrance. However, it sure was a QUICK ride back to our site! (all downhill) That wouldn't stop me from staying here again, this place was GREAT. Our kids (13 and 9 yrs) loved the waterslide (which is separate from the pool itself, that's something I was confused about. I thought it emptied into the pool, but it has its own little "pool" for you to land in next door to the actual pool) The jump pillow was fun for all. Remember socks for this. The gazebo next to the pond was beautiful. The putt putt was fun and so was the game room. Never did any crafts or the hayride. My children saw that they sang on the hayride and my kids are at an age where that is a definite "no" since it is not 'cool.' Years ago they would have loved it.

The bathrooms were very nice and clean. They were way better than the state park bathrooms we experienced later in the week. We had a short walk there. (you can look at their great map on their website.)

Overall, we made a great choice for our trip staying here. It was a very short 15 min ride or so to Mammoth Cave for the New Entrance Tour. We also enjoyed the Dinosaur World and Kentucky Action Park closeby.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Bill P, Owner at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Mammoth Cave, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Wish I could fix the hill, but that's what we're stuck with.
Bill

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Sellersburg, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

went there three years ago on a bored weekend with my wife and two kids. we instantly fell in love with it. I have been there every summer since. I have stayed in several cabing and tent sites and have always had a wonderful experience. Plenty of great family activities. Celebrated my best fathers day ever last year there. The jumping pillow is always nice

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Bill P, Owner at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Mammoth Cave, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Thanks for your comments. We've been wanting to get a Jumping Pillow for years but didn't want to remove any trees to put it in. Finally bit the bullet to remove 5 trees so we could put one in. Seems to be a wonderful success, not just for the kids either. Lots of moms and dads out there too!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

Loved this campground. Owner very helpful with finding a tire for our camper. Great activities, love the location, perfect setting. Very hot when we were there so it was hard to enjoy all the activities and jumping pillow. Dogs loved the pet run area. Other reviews say the sites are not level, we were set up in about the same amount of time as we are at other campgrounds with no trouble getting level. For those complaining look around at where you are and you will realize why some sites are not perfect, by the way it is camping not a 5 star hotel high rise. Our daughters loved the Hay Ride, water slide, pool, and dyeing the tshirts. One review stated that it is so close to the freeway they heard cars all night, this campground is not next to the freeway it is a few minutes from it. There is another campground right next to the freeway, maybe they mixed them up.Thank you for a wonderful four days we will return whenever we can.

Room Tip: Ask for a site on the paved roads, they are closer to the bath houses and activities.
1 Thank DogsandDragons
Bill P, Owner at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Mammoth Cave, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you. We appreciate your comments and look forward to enjoying another visit with you.
Corydon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

This campground doesn't have a level camping site in the whole park. The sewage drains in the sites equipped are raised 6-8 inches for some reason. The roads are poorly planned out as well, forcing people from other sites to enter your site to get to bathroom/shower facilities. The bathrooms are what you might expect in a prison with more urine on the floors. The Internet they boast about does not have any connectivity so don't bother. No rules are enforced in this park unless it has to do with you forking over money. Quiet time and speed limits aren't enforced and staff is too young or immature for their positions i.e. the swimming pool area.

Room Tip: Skip this money pit.
2 Thank Anthony P
Bill P, Owner at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Mammoth Cave, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
To my knowledge, we never had a complaint from this individual over the holiday weekend so we didn't have a chance to correct the problems he perceived. We always have sites that we intentionally do not book even on holidays to change out for those who are unhappy with their site. Yes, we were very full for the holiday weekend, and there may be some uncourteous campers cutting through to the bathhouse or being louder than he desired, but generally those are limited situations. I did think we had fixed all the "tall sewer pipes" but will have maintenance look again for any we may have missed. The internet was working - I saw over 100 users on at one time Friday afternoon. I could respond to his other comments, but it'd be better for users to just read Anthony P's other reviews. If his best review is that Mammoth Cave is "not too bad" . . . Then read our other reviewer's comments.
We welcome honest reviews from our campers. Please contribute.
Shelbyville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We booked a our cabins on the recommendation of a friend who had stayed here. We were very pleased with our choice! Our Girl Scout troop booked the Bunkhouse and the 2 Bear Dens. We found ourselves on a nice corner lot, a perfect place for a fire circle and for girls to run and play. The staff was friendly, accomodating, and helpful -- even setting up a private Hey-ride for our group. It was clean and very family-friendy. There was plenty to do when we weren't visiting Mammoth Cave NP. Several of our girls' families will return in the future.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed here last summer with my young son, my best girlfriend and her young son. We got a cabin but were still a little nervous about doing a campfire and such since we had no men with us, but everything was set up great. We had an efficiency cabin which was very nice and cozy. It is small but perfectly fine for what we needed. My only complaint is in the bathroom the sink and toilet cubby are so close there is barely any room and is really cramped, but its something that I can live with for a day or so. Our cabin overlooked the lake which was full of fish. There are outdoor movies and crafts and activities for the kids. They have a nice playground also. We tried the pool but being two really hot days it was seriously crowded and just not big enough to accommodate so many people. Other than that, we had a great stay. The cabin had bunk beds and a futon. Cable television and wifi. There is a fire ring and a grill outside each cabin and firewood available at a reasonable price. Several attractions are close as well, including Mammoth Cave National Park. Joe's Diner is up on the corner for a super cheap and yummy breakfast. We will definitely be going back for another mini vacay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

This review is overdue, but I wanted to give this nice park credit. When we approached the area I have to admit that I was VERY worried. The surrounding area off the freeway and the area attractions were very tired and in need of a facelift. Once we were inside the park, we were pleasantly surprised! We rented a log cabin for 2 nights and it was the perfect amount for a quick stop over on our way back to Ohio from a few nights in Nashville, TN. The little store upfront where the check in is is well equipped with the basic needs while you are staying (Walmart isn't too far away as well). We rented a golf cart because my husband LOVES to ride around in them. We had fun cruising the park at night checking out all the campers and how they setup camp. Lots of very creative people camping out! Our log cabin was perfect for the 4 of us. It was me, my husband, teenage daughter and 7 year old son. The pool wasn't open yet when we were there and they had yet to roll out the full activities, but they still offered crafts and other activities each night at the pavilion and my son loved it! The playground was also a big hit with him. We loved sitting each night under the stars by the fire. The outside grill was perfect for our size family to make burgers and hotdogs. The cabin offered a full/twin bunk and futon in the living area along with a small flat panel TV and a kitchenette. The bedroom had another full/twin bunk and a cute little desk as well as a little sink with a place to put your toiletries. The bathroom was big enough for a shower and toilet. We never had any issues with hot water, but we staggered our showers. My kids also loved the FREE internet! Everything was CLEAN and bug free (other than the ones we let in running in and out at night). My Dad was an insect technician and I always check for bed bugs and I was so glad to report it was clean!!! I hate to camp on the ground and have medical issues so this log cabin was perfect for my type of camping.

My only complaint was when we checked out the lady at the desk looked like she needed some time off and was a little snooty. I gave her the key back to the golf cart and she asked "you didn't ram it into a tree did you?" I said NO!? She said, well, if you did...we will find out. I thought, how rude. My husband and I are decent upstanding people and I took offense to that comment. Not a good way to leave an impression. Anyway, I would go back and hope the old grouchy lady retires!!

Also - another tip for Mammoth Cave. The lines are LONG during the weekend. Go as soon as you can to buy your tickets for the next day or two for the tours. Also, know what tour you want when you get in line.The ticket sales people were NOT helpful at all and will make you leave the line if you don't know what tour you want. I recommend the Historic tour as long as you are OK with small spaces and lots and lots of stairs!
Enjoy my pics!!!

Room Tip: Make sure to read the descriptions or email them with questions. They are good at explaining the cab...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Red Roof Inn & Suites Cave City
Hampton Inn Horse Cave
Hampton Inn Horse Cave
#1 of 3 in Horse Cave

Been to Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Mammoth Cave? Share your experiences!