“Think of it more like Camping, but in a Cement Cone”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cave City
Wigwam Village Inn #2
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cave City
Rochester, Michigan
“Think of it more like Camping, but in a Cement Cone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

When my friend and I arrived to our Wigwam, we giggled like school girls. It was fantastic,mostly because it gave "kitsch" new meaning and tacky is funny. If you are looking for a four star hotel or really a hotel experience in general, then keep driving. This hotel is like renting a cabin in the woods, an old cabin in the woods. THINK -cabin in Northern Michigan when you first open it up; there is dust,it needs to be cleaned and it isn't quite warm enough,but you are happy to be there.

That being said, I never once saw the owner, my key was left in the bucket and that is where I dropped it off. We hoped to go into the main tepee to buy tacky souvenirs, but the tepee was closed. Boooo. The Wigwam Hotel #2 has some serious potential, but it seemed like the owner bought a house that just happened to have tacky tepee sheds in its backyard. Thus, the owner is just making the best of the inconvenience of having multiple sheds in the yard.

That being said I would to it again in a heartbeat and I would bring shower shoes.I know this review doesn't sound that positive, but I loved it.

I realized we went to Wigwam Village #2 at the end of March and during the "off" season so maybe it would be less of a cabin experience and more dusted.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank hunterha

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Shawnee, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

My husband and I have a genuine appreciation for Americana, so we were really looking forward to our trip to this place. Several weeks in advance, I called and reserved a wigwam for 3 nights. First, in retrospect, one night would have satisfied our curiosity. It wasn't that we were expecting much; the 1930s atmosphere was what we were looking for. However, a little bleach to kill the mold in the shower wouldn't have killed the nostalgic effect. When we checked in, before we even got the key, we were told our credit card had been charged. We wanted to put the room on a different card than the one we used to reserve, but were told that it was not possible. But here's the kicker. We showed up as planned and paid for 3 nights in advance. We had to cancel the third night. We heard that a blizzard was heading for our home area, and we wanted to get home before it hit. When we took the key to the manager and told him we wouldn't be staying a third night, he told us that it was too bad, but we wouldn't be getting our 3rd night's room rate back. It seems they have a 3 day cancellation policy. Now, I can (sort of) understand that for people who make reservations and then never show up, but we had already been there for 2 nights. We were told we should have planned better. How can you plan around a March blizzard a month in advance? I would have let it go, but the manager did say, as we left, he'd make an exception in our case. Obviously their word is worth very little. I just spoke with him after 2 weeks, and he said he'd have to "investigate further". He refused to give me a yes or no answer -- which sounds like more evasion to get me off the phone. The money isn't going to make or break us. But I prefer to give my business to PROFESSIONALS who show some appreciation to the customers who took the effort to patronize them.

Room Tip: If you stay, bring an extension cord or an adapter. There are few outlets. We had to make a choice b...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank JWright9561

Travellers are raving about these Cave City hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Me and my wife did a cross country road trip for our honeymoon, and stayed at the Wigwam Village in Holbrook. It was superclean, nice staff, had a Native American performance, vintage cars strewn about, and overall an awesome experience. So when we were planning a trip to Cave City and saw there were Wigwams there, we jumped at the chance to stay.
The woman who checked us in barely spoke a word to us, and once we signed the pre-pay receipt, (should have been suspicious then) she pointed at a table with a bunch of keys on it and said, "thirteen". So I sorted through the keys and found ours. Once entering the wigwam, we were horribly disappointed. We are definitely not neat freaks, nor run of the mill continental breakfast boring hotel types, but this offended us. Paint was chipped and blackened, wallpaper peeling, tiles broken and missing, tv remote didn't work, toilet constantly ran, bedspread was very old and stained, and as with others mentioned, the tiny portable heater, and a mattress that was terrible. I then ran into the owner who when I told him of my dissapointment, said, "oh it's historic, you can go somewhere else but not going to be like this, is historic." I politely told him that we wouldn't be staying two nights, and if he could refund me the second night we'd stay that evening, which to his credit he did.
For all the owner's talk on the website about its historic nature, it's really dissapointing to see this treasure not kept up. The playground and grounds overall were run down, and even the main historic office wasn't in use and looked bare and unkempt. If we hadn't been to the one in Holbrook, I suppose we wouldn't have known the difference, but seeing a comparison made the experience all the worse. My advice is, if you want to stay in a Wigwam, go to the one in AZ. They do it right and are keeping the tradition alive. The owners here at Cave City don't seem to care, and are the reason why places like this can't stay open anymore.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Walter B
Breda, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

I so wanted to LOVE the wigwam village. It's a neat concept but unfortunately the property is not well cared for. As other reviews have mentioned, there was mold in the bathroom, which I'm fairly certain made me sick. The beds were ancient, falling apart, and sank when any weight was put on them. As we were there in the winter, staying warm was a concern but the space heater at least was sufficient for such a small room. Check in was confusing because the office was in a house to the side of the property. So, although the idea of staying here was appealing - actually staying here was not.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank vashka0310
Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

Romm was full of cob webs. Mold on walls in room & bathroom. Mold very thick around heater coils. Heater did not work. They did provide a VERY small heater for the room. Had to leave after only 15 minutes due to the quantity of mold and ended up in the Emergency Room due to the amount of mold. Then they charged my credit card after we left a message on their answering machine as no one was in the office. Since no one was there we could not move rooms or advise of the problem. We will NEVER stay here again & will not refer them to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Cherrie H
Bristol, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

This place was everything we'd hoped for. A very unique and beautiful place to stay. I don't understand some of the reviews I read. It had the original furnishings. It was was clean. And the owners were very nice. Highly recommended over a bland (and way more pricey) modern hotel if you are interested in Americana and roadside attractions. Lots of interesting things to see and do in the area, too. Kind of reminded us of Gatlinburg without the extreme commercialism. Plus, Kentucky is a beautiful drive.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank William V
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

We had read about the historic quirky motel and wanted to stay there to experience the nostalgia of the place. I recall seeing photos from my grandparent's trip through the area back in the early 1960's. It was a bit exciting to drive up and see the cool white teepees and freshly mowed lawn. That was the highlight however. The office is no longer in the large wigwam but in the house to the side of the units. It was closed and the sign light was off, so we rang the bell as instructed on a handwritten sign and a teenage boy answered stating the manager and owners were both out. He was not very welcoming and was hesitant to give us a room because we had no reservation - despite the fact only one of the units was occupied. He said on the weekends and during the summer, they stayed fully booked by reservation only. He said he wasn't sure what to do but gave us a sheet to fill out and quoted a room price that was higher than the internet rate posted. I pulled up the site on my iphone and showed him the rate and he said the website was wrong and they had not changed it yet. After a few minutes of discussion he agreed to let us have the room for the internet rate posted.
While the units look good on the outside, to say they are rustic on the inside is being very kind. Entrance is very small with jalousie windows at the top which would not open. Once in, it is like walking back in time to your great grandmother's house, which is quaint until you look closer. The furniture is from 1938 when the motel was originally established - an interesting feature except that the bed frame was held together with steel strapping tape and the rattan footboard was shredded. There was a fold up bed in the corner that had definitely seen better days. Frame was rusted and mattress was very dingy. It was also blocking a small closet.
Unit was surface clean but could use a deep thorough scrubbing. There was mold in the shower. The shower curtain was torn. About every 30 minutes or so the toilet would have to refill the tank which was very loud. The woodwork was very dirty. The doorknob on the bathroom door was falling off and broken and the door would not shut completely. The bathroom sink leaked and was pulling away from the wall. The original radiator was rusty but no longer used. They did have a small air conditioner and space heater in the room. The coffee pot was large - a 12 cup one but the package of coffee left was for a 4 cup pot. You could not have the heater, the lamp and the coffee pot plugged in at the same time. The lampshade would not stay on the fixture and the light would flutter off and on. While they did use a CF light bulb in the overhead fixture, it was a bare bulb with no glass shade over it and the ceiling fan was pitted and blades were drooping. They did have cable on a very small, very old tv but the remote volume did not work. On the positive side, there was plenty of hot water, a new set of curtains in the unit and the playground was very nice and well kept.
Upon leaving, a woman I assumed was the owner came out of the house and asked if we were checking out. I handed her they key and she never smiled or said thank you.
The motel could be a very cool place if they would sink a little into it for some serious cleaning and maintenance. Am I glad we stayed there? Yes, it satisfied my curiosity. Would I stay again? In its present condition, no way!

Room Tip: No pool. Do hear a lot of traffic noise and several trains nearby. Back side backs up to a big fie...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Park City
Hampton Inn Horse Cave
Hampton Inn Horse Cave
#1 of 3 in Horse Cave

Been to Wigwam Village Inn #2? Share your experiences!