“Very nice”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cave City
Texas
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

This hotel is very clean, very comfortable. Evening staff seemed slightly rude. ( Actually Ashley in housekeeping was apparently training and it was she who waited on us. Ashley was very friendly. The girl training her was a little rude and abrupt.) Morning staff was very courteous and helpful. The suite was very clean, with a whirlpool in room. Bed was very comfortable. I particularly loved the smaller square pillows. I'd love those at my own home. All in all a very nice place to stay when you visit Mammoth Cave.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed in this hotel one night before visiting Mammoth Cave the next morning. The room was nice and clean. The breakfast provided was adequate. It included choices of cereal, english muffin, danish, juice, waffles, and yogurt. The area was clean. The staff was constantly cleaning and refilling containers. This is a nice hotel for a quick one night stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

First of all, the lady at the desk checking us in was less than friendly, but I guess I wouldn't really be happy to work on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, either.

Our room was on the third floor right by the elevator. It was fairly crowded, so my initial thought was "great, it's going to be noisy". I was right, but it wasn't due to the elevator or anything outside our room. We only heard one group outside our door the whole night. No big deal. Every step across our floor sounded like we were stomping, no matter how softly we stepped. I felt sorry for the people below us.

The bathroom had a huge counter and appeared to be very clean, but it was noisy, too. The tub croaked and moaned very loudly like an old rocking chair on an old wooden floor. It was horrible! I felt like we should go downstairs and apologize to the neighbors below us for all the noise we inadvertently made. Everytime you shifted your weight at all, it would make a horribly loud noise. The bathtub wouldn't hold water - it just drained right out, so a shower was the only option.

It was quite relaxing after we all had our showers and laid down for the night. As long as everyone stayed in bed, it was quiet.

For ~$100/night, I think we should have had a better experience! Overall, the place seemed nice and clean. I just expect a little more than nice and clean. We usually stay at Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn. Hampton & Fairfield aren't options in Cave City, so next time, we'll probably just drive back home and save our money.

Room Tip: The evening sun blinded us, as we were on the front side of the building right over the entrance.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

This is my second visit to Mammoth Caves in successive summers. The caves are so worth the visit, but finding fresh, new, shiny lodging in the area will be a challenge for any family. Last year I didn't bring the kids and stayed at the Victorian House in Smiths Grove, KY. It was a lovely bed and breakfast and I wish I could afford to have stayed there with the kids as well. Instead, my family opted for the Comfort Inn and Suites in Cave City, KY. Last year I stopped in several hotels in the Mammoth Cave area looking for that 'great place to stay' with the kids and I just didn't see that shining gem in the lot of them. Mammoth Caves has been around awhile, and so have the hotels that service the area.

The Comfort Inn, Cave City was a typical Comfort Inn. I did not find it dirty or bug ridden as some other reviews I read. I did ask for adjoining rooms when I made the reservation months earlier. I was a bit dismayed when I arrived to learn that our family did not have adjoining rooms. We were, however, on the same floor. The two rooms we did have, did not have the air conditioning on at a sufficient level when we arrive to make the room not feel stuffy either. We did crank the air conditioning while we went out to dinner and the room was sufficiently cooled off for sleeping and stayed that way for our 2 day stay.

The breakfast was more than adequate: waffles, english muffin, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs and sausage, cereal, juice, and coffee. My whole family found something they were happy to eat and didn't leave hungry. The breakfast room didn't have a lot of tables, but my family preferred to eat in the room anyway so it wasn't an issue for us.

The staff was a bit stealth. I almost never saw anyone behind the front desk. You had to "ring the bell" for service to find anyone. Honestly, this didn't bother me much because I really only needed to check in, check out, and store some things in the safe behind the front desk as the rooms did not have safes.

The kids enjoyed the indoor swimming pool between cave tours. You did need a room key to access the pool, and the deck had a couple tables with chairs so we could watch the kids comfortably without actually having to be in the water with the kids.

This hotel site is also close to several food options: McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC, and a Mexican restaurant. Honestly, the food in and around Mammoth Caves is nothing to write home about. The food at the restaurant at Mammoth Caves especially is lacking. I wish we brought PB&J instead of eating the food there. The sandwiches would've been better, even if squished in a backpack we had to leave in a hot car because you can't carry bags thru the caves. If you're driving TO Mammoth Caves and plan to stay there, you'd be well served to stop off in Bowling Green, KY or somewhere else for dinner/food before arriving in Cave City/Mammoth Caves. The food from the aforementioned restaurants close to the Comfort Inn wasn't any better or worse than you'd get at any of those chains anywhere else in the world. Just be advised, your options are limited. I did hear from some other families that the Mexican restaurant is worthwhile, but my family did not sample the food there.

The photos shown of the property on the Comfort Inn website (there is no date on the photos, but I looked at the Comfort Inn website Sep 11 to write this review) are a good representation of the size of the rooms and the pool, but not really the current state of the comforters and/or carpet. The hotel has much more wear and tear on it than the photos indicate. The rooms we stayed in had 2 queen beds, a desk and no couch/big tub (the "guest room" in the photos.) The rooms were a bit cramped with 4 people in the room, but livable. Having a refrigerator was handy while driving cross country. We were able to keep some water and sodas cool for the drive, but the freezer section did not really work at all. We started out with mostly frozen bottles of water as "ice" for our mini-car cooler, but by the end of our two days, those bottle were mostly thawed.

Overall, it was a convenient place to stay that didn't skeeve me out.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

Room was comfortable and the staff pleasant. The only issue we had was it took a loooong time to get the room cool enough when we arrived as the air was turned off and it was close to 100 degrees outside.

• Stayed September 2011
Appleton, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We had reserved a room at this hotel after going to Mammoth cave. When we got there the hotel was not as described. It was filthy dirty. we had to get the girl behind the desk's attention to get off of her cell phone and then she acted like we were interrupting her. After we saw the place we said we weren't staying. She call the manager (on the phone) and I told him we weren't paying and he said well you're gonna pay because you did not cancel 24 hours in advance and after I argued with him he said "take it up with your damn credit card company. " We've always had good results at comfort inns but will never stay at one again

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
gmky165, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
I'm sorry you were not pleased with our facility I encourage you to call me at (270) 773-3335 to discuss this matter.

Russell G. Yonker Jr.
Manvel, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Not a great hotel in Comfort chain at all. Was clean but needs serious updating and replacement of furniture and carpets. The sofa bed was horrendous. We had to put the comforter from the other bed on top of the mattress just to lessen the feel of the springs from the sofa mattress! And the sheets for the sofa were all damp - front desk was very accommodating though in getting me clean dry sheets. Good location but won't stay here again. Just looked old!

Room Tip: Don't plan on the sofa bed being comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Park Mammoth Resort
Park Mammoth Resort
#1 of 2 in Park City

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!