“Beautiful View and Good Food!”

The Riverview Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 75 Restaurants in Corbin
Findlay, Ohio
“Beautiful View and Good Food!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stopped at this restaurant for the view alone and loved the food. We spent a night at the Cumberland State Park Resort and enjoyed dessert here after spending a couple of hours at the Falls. The restaurant is a bit dated like the resort but the employees and food make you forget about that! Enjoyed the Derby Pie with ice cream and then stopped in for the breakfast buffet the next morning so we could enjoy one more view before heading out! They have a dinner buffet also which looked excellent..

• Visited October 2013

Racine, Wisconsin
“Great view; food varies”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The view from Riverview is really hard to beat. Looks out over Cumberland Gorge. In the evening, one can also dine just inches away from raccoons and perhaps a skunk--wild animals that are drawn to the other side of the glass windows thanks to the dropping of bread or crackers from above by guests at the lodge.

The food can be very good. It depends on what you order. We've found that ordering off the menu is safer than the buffet; besides, the buffet can be rather pricing for the quality of food that one gets.

• Visited August 2013
Louisville, KY
“Best catfish ever!”
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stopped by on our way home from a Florida vacation for an impromptu visit to Cumberland Falls thanks to visit to the Kentucky welcome center. After many hours on the road we stopped at the Riverview Restaurant for a bite to eat. Wow. This hidden treasure was amazing. Best catfish ever....very light and tasty. The hot brown was wonderful too ! And just when I thought we could eat no more....homemade banana pudding with warm meringue.... Yum.

• Visited September 2013
Berea Ky
“Goooooood food”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

When my friends and I visited the Lodge we ate at the Riverview. We chose the buffet to eat. The food was very good. The salad bar was large and had many choices. There were different types of meats and vegetables, but if you really want to enjoy Southern cooking the thing to eat was the sup beans, cornbread and fried fish. The fish was excellant in both taste and texture. It is probably the best friend fish I have found in a resturant.

Visited August 2013
Cincinnati, OH
“Gross, Unappetizing Buffet”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The one night we tried the $14 buffet (middle of the week - Tuesday evening - mid August), the meat choices were: fried catfish (ok); fried chicken fingers (incredibly dry and unseasoned); and incredibly overdone broiled chicken pieces that were seasoned with a very burnt sprinkling of lemon pepper.
Plus a very thick, pasty spaghetti meat sauce and spaghetti.

Rolls and garlic bread were hard as a freaking rock. That means that I brought them back to the table and they went clunk when I sat them down. I couldn't find a soft spot to even nibble on.

I can't overstate how lousy this buffet is, how bad the food preparation is, and how poor a value it is. I am used to these places having to use canned vegetables and generic products. You generally don't expect to see any fresh products except lettuce at a state park restaurant. But the skill level of preparation and the state of the food in the buffet here just really, really sucks. And at $14 it's a total, unconscionable ripoff.

The lunch buffet is $8 and at least you're only paying $8 for a buffet then. But I got a meatloaf, another loser entree, from that buffet, and it was like a chunk of sod - it tasted like straight hamburger baked in a pan with tomato sauce over it - flavorless and gross and thick and hard to cut with a fork.
The reason we got the buffet the two times we ate there was that most of the things in the buffet overlap the $10+ al la cart dinners, so it almost makes no sense to order from the menu, and you don't get a salad anyway so that would also be extra.

The salad bar was OK.

The girl at the cash register asked us when we were paying how we liked our dinner. I told her what the state of the buffet was - she acted like a fuse blew in her head and didn't have a clue what to say. She finally said "well, I'll try to tell a manager". I bet it never happens and she's too scared of losing her job to pass the news along.

If you stay at the lodge here, you will probably drive to Corbin (20 miles, about 30 minutes) to eat after you experience the restaurant here. That's what we did. The food quality was an absolute turn off.

The one redeeming aspect of this restaurant is the view, and the cute critters like groundhogs, birds and raccoons that visit the (empty) feeders outside the windows. (Apparently austerity has hit the wildlife birdseed and corn budget.)

• Visited August 2013