“It was better than average...”

Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Corbin
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is by far one of the finest state parks I have ever stayed at. The falls itself are absolutely gorgeous and the hiking trails are outstanding. The cleanliness of the rooms were not up to par and it's not because of an issue with the housekeepers, but because it is out in the woods. No, I do not expect a perfectly spotless room when I am tucked away in the heart of the forest. This doesn't bother me however but it seemed to bother some other guests during my stay. The staff were courteous and more than generous to guests based on absolutely crazy requests. One gentleman that stood out to me was someone who made me feel at home. He charged my card and I really didn't mind that he was taking the money from me. He seems to really enjoy his job and the people.... or he's good at hiding it. This was my biggest surprise in that... not only him but the entire desk staff was courteous, kind, and helpful. The food is pricey for dinner, but for breakfast, it is affordable and good. I've enjoyed my one night stay as this was a pit-stop for my kids and I as we had made plans for mammoth cave the following day. It started as a pit-stop, but it is now a place I will be going back too very soon.

1  Thank RoadTraveler012345
Roy J, Manager at Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your response regarding your recent stay at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park. It is always helpful to hear from our visitors about their experience at our parks. Our facilities are a bit well worn, but my field staff goes above and beyond in trying to ensure they are clean and safe. However, renovations to our patio are almost complete. Once this is complete, we will begin upgrades to our facilities.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Cumberland Falls was beautiful! And there is lots of character as you look around the lobby of the Dupont Lodge, wood, logs, earthy. But beware, the pet freindly rooms are right by the lobby so not very quiet room for trying to sleep in. Was disappointed to not be able to enjoy the patio because it was under construction but I understand that couldn't be helped. Our reason for choosing this hotel was the view from the patio, so we should have cancelled reservation after receiving an email a few weeks before our expected stay. The window of our pet friendly room looked right out to the under construction patio so not a chance of sleeping in with sounds of table saws and hammering waking us up each morning along with lobby chatter and creaking steps. Would have loved a reduced rate with construction going on outside our room. State run hotel.....No luck. The buffet in the lodge restaurant is delicous.

2  Thank Colleen R
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I would like to start off with a positive.....the falls itself is gorgeous, Unfortunately, that is about the only positive thing we experienced while at Cumberland Falls State Park. My husband and I love patronizing State Parks all over the country. We reserved 2 nights with hopes of a great adventure. The grounds were in horrible condition, landscaping was over taken with weeds and very little live plants. So much trash and cigarette butts just about everywhere we walked around the grounds The lodge itself was undergoing a renovation of the viewing patio so it was closed....I understand that is necessary from time to time and wasn't to disappointed. The registration and dining room staff were friendly but the condition of the rooms needed a lot of attention to cleanliness and was very much overlooked. I'd like to add that I'm generally not a picky person who would ever write a bad review but this time I just felt compelled to since we use reviews when choosing things. Mary Beth~ Indiana

6  Thank Mary Beth C

The landscaping in front of the lodge is specifically designed to represent plants and flowers that are native to the park. In fact, the butterfly garden has recently been featured in the newspapers. While it is not the same style of garden overflowing with flowering plants you may have seen growing up, this new approach is not only more natural, but also more cost effective to maintain. Staff cleans cigarette butts from all lodge entry ways every morning and every evening. Despite the fact that there is a smoking area just a short distance from this spot with a disposal canister, guests continue to not only smoke at this spot, but also to drop their trash on the ground rather than disposing of it properly. Over the past 7 years, our full time staff has been cut 23%. Funds for maintenance and operations have continued to be cut even as facilities were added to the Parks compliment. Please know that the Kentucky Department of Parks field employees work very hard to maintain their facilities with dwindling resources and shrinking staff. We are pleased that we will be able to address a major problem with the deck/dining room roof area and will then concentrate on upgrading some of our other guest accommodations as funds become available.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I have never stayed in the lodge. We always rent the 2 bedroom cottages . They are showing some wear but still nice and the price is very reasonable . The buffet is very good and I do not usually like buffet's . We will be back .

4  Thank Saltydandog
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Great park for families. Hiking, pool, viewing falls, nearby trails were amazing. Must try Sheltowee rafting trips! Must eat at Bubby's BBQ in Corbin! Room was ok, just needed a little TLC (windows dirty, burned out bulbs, cobwebs). Hopefully management will get the hint and take care of the details. Restaurant is just okay. Bring in some meals and check out local eats. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Chose a Woodland room for more space and the frig and kitchen space so you can prepare meals.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The rooms are very old and dirty!! We didn't have any maid service during our stay, but our last day there we had a maid try to get into the door twice (thank god we locked the door). There food was luke warm and overpriced. There was no wifi signal at all and no cell phone signal. The place is under construction and that woke us up early in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cb1013
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Very Pricey for a ran down hotel looks like a hotel that you would spend 55 dollars for I wish u hadnt booked a room here.The carpeting is old and has stains everywhere.There was dirty bedding and linen on the floor right outside room. The shower curtain was moldy paint chiping off the wall. Bathroom floors unswept dirty grout moldy caulking in the tub. Took my inlaws with me how embarrassing. At least consider replacing the hall carpet paint the walls a fresh coat of paint change the shower curtains :( never stay here again gross!!!!

3  Thank mhoeff1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corbin
Baymont Inn & Suites Corbin
Hampton Inn Williamsburg
#1 of 4 in Williamsburg
Best Western Corbin Inn
Holiday Inn Express Corbin

Been to Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge? Share your experiences!