“Just average!”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Corbin
Sylva, North Carolina, United States
“Just average!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We arrived at the Lodge and was sent to room 300. The whole place smelled of cleaning products, not exactly in a good way! The view for our room overlooked the rusted duct work so the view was terrible. We had dinner, which was pretty good, just a little overpriced. The room was so noisy, there were kids running up and down the hall and slamming doors until late. We didn't have breakfast, we just wanted to leave! When we checked out, we were not asked how the room was or anything about our stay. She proceeded to tell me that my balance $0. She then asked if I would like a receipt, which I told her that I did. When she handed it to me she said "oh you have a $2 credit and she would have to check with her supervisor about it". I know it was only $2 but if I had not asked for a receipt, I would have never known about it. I will probably never see it anyway! I would not recommend this place. If you are coming just for the Cumberland Falls, just make it a day trip and save yourself some money!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda S
Roy J, Manager at Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, not all of our rooms have a view of the river. Our housekeeping crew is required to accomplish a deep clean periodically. We apologize if this caused any issues. We have many families with children and groups that enjoy our park. Excited children usually are not aware of how loud they are. If our front desk staff is aware of this disturbance, they would have addressed it with the parents or group leads. I am happy to see that you did enjoy your dinner.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We just returned from a six day stay at DuPont Lodge. We had read the reviews and were a little nervous of what we would find. BUT it was amazing. The rooms are outdated as the lodge is very old but we didn't care. This facility and it's location we're amazing! The staff could not have been nicer, the trails are incredible as is the pool. My husband and son went on a great horseback riding trail and did an amazing all day rafting trip with Sheltowee Trace Outfitters. The nighttime guided trail walks were very cool. We did the Big Southfork train ride to an abandoned coal mine as well, what a great time. So come here for adventure and fun and enjoy staying in the most beautiful forest. We only left twice for dinner at Bubbys BBQ which is delicious! We will be back, it was one of the best family trips we have done. This lodge is not a spa hotel, the purpose is to enjoy nature and be outdoors.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Laura F
Thank you for your response. Our employees work very hard to maintain our facilities with dwindling resources and shrinking staff. Our rooms are a little dated. We are please to say that once our patio and restaurant renovation are completed this call, we will concentrate on upgrading our other accommodations.
Maineville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My family has a reunion there each year in august. We love it there. Generally everything is great! We loved the updates to the cabins. New furniture and tvs. The only thing I would suggest is that when you have a large group that uses more than one cabin replace the items taken from one cabin to the next. We were missing forks and spoons and bowls! When we called they told us the other cabins might have them since there was a reunion the week prior. I would think there would be a checklist with the items to be in each cabin. Also when we were eating dinner they started taking down the buffet as we were still getting food. I think it should have been left until the last person one done. I felt very rushed to eat and get as much as I could before they took it all away. But other than those things it was a great time. Love the pool as always. And the falls are just amazing, my family has been coming there for 50+ years and I plan on continuing the tradition with me family!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Heidi E
Roy J, Manager at Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your response. I like your recommendation of having a checklist for each cabin. Thank you, I will take your recommendations and improve our process. I apologize that our kitchen staff removed the buffet while your family was still getting your food. I have implemented a policy that will ensure that this does not happen again. I am quite sure that this will not happen on any of your future visits.
alma, mi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a rustic state lodge. Our room was on the small side, and the furnishings a bit tired - but we had a terrific view and enjoyed the overall atmosphere of the lodge. Others complain that they were unaware of the ongoing patio renovation; I received a separate email (after making a reservation) warning us that the patio was closed so I was not surprised. Of course it was a bit disappointing and the construction was a bit distracting - but when it's done this should be really nice for those who come in the fall.

The dinner we had was, to put it kindly, mediocre. Okay, it was pretty bad (tough meat, overcooked corn and veggies, etc.). But overall it was still nice to be so close to the falls and the other trails. Bottom line: if you're going to the falls just for the day, stay somewhere else (in the towns east or west), but if you want to spend time hiking the trails then it's fine for night.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zenmusic
Thank you for your response. Our employees work diligently to maintain our facilities. Our patio renovation is almost complete and will have beautiful results. Once our renovations are complete, we will start on improving our accommodations. We are actively working to improve our food operations and have had several meetings with Sullivan University. The most recent meeting explored several cooperative efforts, including the use of culinary program interns at our parks as well as a case study of service options for four smaller resort park food operations.
St. Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed one night so that we could white water raft early Saturday morning. For the price of the room I expected more...rooms are cramped and offer a musty odor. We could hear the people above us moving about. Back patio that offers a beautiful view of the river was closed and under construction, as well as the closest Trail #4. (No mention or concession was made for all that is under construction.) Also paid extra for a poor to mediocre breakfast bar. Staff, just ok. Surprised at the litter in the park and on trails...
Had a great time at Sheltowee Trace Outfitters both staff and rafting! A must do for all ages!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
I am very sorry to hear your concerns about the food operation as well. This is particularly interesting since I was informed that one of the state’s top elected officials who was very complimentary about the food and food service at Cumberland Falls. In fact, this individual is notorious for being critical of food and so I was pleased. We continue to work on improving our food service, bringing in locally grown produce wherever possible.
In conclusion, please know that the Kentucky Department of Parks field employees work very hard to maintain their facilities with dwindling resources and shrinking staff. We are pleased that we will be able to address a major problem with the deck/dining room roof area and will then concentrate on upgrading some of our other guest accommodations as funds become available.

Travellers are raving about these Corbin hotels

Glasgow, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I were supposed to stay 3 nights at the lodge, we left after 1 night, no one bothered to tell us that they were doing construction right outside our plastic covered windows!! Supposed to have gotten refund for the other 2 nights and 9 days after our stay still have not seen refund!! My husband ran a couple of trails and was not impressed with the garage along the trails.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank angela c
Roy J, Manager at Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I understand that you chose to leave early (August 14) due to the construction on our patio. Park policy is that if customer pays by credit card, we can refund the card that was used. If customer pays by cash, the park can refund cash immediately. If customer pays by check, that refund must be processed through the central office in Frankfort, Ky. The Park Manager was informed about this refund on July 25th and personally called the customer. After looking into this issue, this particular refund was processed by central office on August 23rd. We inform all customers to please allow 7 -10 business days to process the refund. Kentucky Parks Central Office personnel work very hard at ensuring that if a refund is received, that it is processed as quick as possible.
Ashland, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Traveled 3 hours to stay at DuPont Lodge to catch the Moonbow.
The lodge reception area was filthy, the dated, musky, over-priced room was dirty and in dire need of deep cleaning. Found dead bee in bed. The dining room, it too was in need of cleaning. The staff walked around like zombies and the buffet was the worst dining experience I've had in years. The grounds around the lodge and part of the park I saw was overgrown with weeds. This is by far the most poorly ran state park in this state. Embarrassed to have travelers from all over the world come to KY and have this place represent Kentuckians. Will write letter to politicians and newspapers about this travesty!

Room Tip: Go to a hotel chain in Corbin, KY!
Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank L A H
Roy J, Manager at Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your email regarding your recent stay at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park. It is always helpful to hear from our visitors about their experience at our parks. We have just now been able to hire on additional housekeeping staff. Of course, each new employee will receive proper training to ensure all rooms are cleaned and ready for the next guest. I can understand your concern about some of the well worn areas of the park, and we are working hard to maintain the condition despite substantial reductions not only in our general fund dollars but also in reduced visitation as people cut back on travel during the downturn in the economy. Cumberland Falls maintenance/housekeeping staff regularly use an extractor to clean carpets in all accommodations. However, since we have been unable to replace stained and worn carpets in many areas, the appearance is not at the level we would prefer. please know that the Kentucky Department of Parks field employees work very hard to maintain their facilities with dwindling resources and shrinking staff. We are pleased that we will be able to address a major problem with the deck/dining room roof area and will then concentrate on upgrading some of our other guest accommodations as funds become available.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corbin
Baymont Inn & Suites Corbin
Cumberland Inn and Museum
#2 of 4 in Williamsburg
Holiday Inn Express Corbin
BEST WESTERN Corbin Inn

Been to Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge? Share your experiences!