“Better off here than the courtyard!”

Cincinnati Marriott at RiverCenter
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Ok so the hotel looks great on the outside but the inside needs work! It was an interesting 3 days! We were in town for the Bengals game for Sunday but we checked in on Friday. First bad experience
The bellmen lost my fiancé luggage plus mines and which I had Gucci bags. It took them over an hour to figure out where they put our luggage! The front desk staff seemed wonderful, Mitch was our guy, he up graded our room for the horrible inconvenece. The room was greasy!! The internet the worst!! When we went back down the girl at the desk waved the internet fee and gave us access to the members lounge which was nice but she didn't seem to know much about the area she said she was from there!! I hate asking about places and I hear I don't know as an answer!! However there are some workers that stood out more and made the stay so much better! The guy in the evening that works in the lounge, I think his name was Danny or Dennis He was sooooooo much fun &amazing! He appreared to be to ONLY genuine person there. He was completely honest about the activities around the city and gave us such great directions!! My fiancé & I were so amazed by his overwhelming knowledge & that smile he has! The breakfast was ok and the morning girl was very antisocial and looked like she didn't want to be there. Also Keesha who took our room service order helped me like it to our needs! She seemed angry at first but she helped us out a lot. The maid service was also great by the old ladies that came to our room but later when we ordered fresh towels, the guy was rude and he had a toothpick in his mouth, not professional at all!!! But overall the concierge service is the best in the hotel, preferably in the evening!! The front desk tries to please very hard, the Center cut restaurant was horrible we were better off going to Burger King! The workout room was fantastic!!! The pool was also great, but hard to get to! Finally,Its sad how the hotel over charges for your stay with really no real amenities! The internet was the worst I ever had! Parking is confusing and they charge no matter where you park! It could have been worst but overall we got a good night rest and got to see a great Bengals game!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Sean M

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I would highly recommend the Marriott Rivercenter. I held my area business meeting there and was thrilled with the level of service my team and I received. Everything was spot on from check-in to check-out. My room was very clean with a beautiful view of downtown Cincinnati. Dinner at Center Cut was absolutely delicious, better than many steak houses in the area. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

I travel frequently from San Diego to Newport, KY on business and the Marriott Rivercenter is my stay of choice. They excel in every category of service and their proximity to businesses, dining and shopping is ideal to the casual and business traveller alike. I would recommend Marriott Rivercenter to anyone!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here recently for a conference and into what was an incredible football weekend. The staff at this Marriott is amazing. They welcomed us warmly when we arrived and blew us away the whole stay. Cap it off with a wonderful Happy Hour in the lobby for the weekend with this really good green drink. And the Bengals won!
We took the trolley that stops at the hotel into downtown and was not dissapointed in everything to do near this hotel. They even had a shuttle to the casino which was great for us.
We will be back!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was booked at this hotel thru my company for a work assignment. At first sight the hotel is somewhat impressive until you check in. The parking fee is ridiculous!! You will average $20+ per day because there is no in and out privileges. Marriott does not own or operate the parking garage. There's no shopping or restaurants close by and surrounding area is not safe to walk alone. One week before my arrival I called the hotel to request a room with a King bed and refrigerator. Upon check in I was given a room with two "double beds" and no refrigerator. I immediately called the front desk but was told there were no king rooms available "for a couple nights." These double beds are not truly double beds. They are more like twin beds. I completely understand that my pre-arrival request was just that -- a request. But the front desk staff never made an attempt to move me to a king room when one became available. Their attitude was you get what you get! I have stayed at many Marriott properties and they have always been very attentive and accommodating to simple requests. Not the case here. Housekeeping was very limited in their duties -- made bed, replaced towels, and wiped vanity area. On several occasions the tiny little garbage cans were not emptied. Beware -- some of the housekeeping staff wanted to enter my room in the evening to pull my curtains and turn down my bed. After this occurred the first night while I was away at dinner, I place my privacy tag on the door each evening. However this did not prevent them from banging on the door and attempting to enter. I was working 12 hour days and just wanted some peace and quiet upon returning to my room in the evening but this was not possible at the Marriott Rivercenter. As mentioned in earlier reviews the noise problem was a huge issue. I stayed on the 10th floor but was still bothered by the atrium noise every night. After two nights of little to no sleep, I rolled up a couple bath towels and placed them at the base of my door. This helped to muffle the noise a little bit. Make sure to pack earplugs if you want to get a decent night's sleep. There are several other hotel properties in the nearby area. I would strongly advise choosing another hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here during a conference. I noticed the same design flaw that another reviewer did (no sound insulation from events in the atrium, and no willingness on the part of hotel staff to keep events quiet or at reasonable hours). We also had very bad mold in our bathroom, though I'm unwilling to blame housekeeping; I've cleaned tiled showers myself, and without a fan in the bathroom (and of course there wasn't one) it's impossible to keep mold at bay without a weekly hour-long scrub or applications of raw bleach on a level that would leave the room perpetually reeking of fumes. The pool was nice, though it was a bit dirty, lacked a hot tub, and you have to go through the AC-on-high gym room to get there (not fun on the way back with wet kids).
The biggest frustration for me was the service. The staff were willing and helpful, but we got nickel-and-dimed for everything: parking, refrigerator, microwave (they didn't even have that, but warned me they'd charge if they could get me one). Even the housekeeper hinted delicately that she would appreciate a tip, although we were in the room so much that we usually just asked for towels and trash removal and she only cleaned it once in our four-day stay. The one that nearly had me blowing my top was that my husband had, for some reason, requested a room with a king-sized bed for the two of us and our two kids (probably not realizing there wouldn't be two kings). When I explained this, they said they could get us two roll-a-beds but they would charge $10 apiece. I get that my husband made a mistake, but he did book the room for four people, and they apparently didn't see a red flag on that at booking. When they found out what the problem was, though, they were able to switch us to a room with two doubles (no charge on that). Not two queens, mind you, doubles (I didn't know they even had those in decent hotels anymore) so it was pretty tight, but better than two adults and two kids in one bed, or two roll-a-beds in a room that could barely fit one.
Those drawbacks aside, the room was very clean and comfortable, though pretty small. The view of the water, though small, was very nice, and the trolley that stops outside and takes you across the river and into the downtown area was great. For the money, though, I probably would have stayed in a different hotel nearby (the area is thick with them), maybe walked another block or two for the trolley, and been a little less frustrated.

Room Tip: Further from the atrium is good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This Marriott has a serious design flaw. The interior tower is designed around an open atrium. On the ground floor of the atrium is the hotel bar and lounge. The rooms in the tower, which I think is 12 floors, circle the atrium. The atrium looks very nice and the rooms are what you would expect from a Marriott.

The problem is that the sound from the bar/lounge carries up the open tower and you have no insulation from it when you are in your room. I stayed on the 6th floor this past weekend. There was a wedding at the hotel and when the wedding ended, everyone took to the bar. The noise reaching the 6th floor was incredibly loud and it was impossible to sleep. When the bar closed, everyone took to the various floors to socialize, which continued until 4am. There was no security to break up the late-night crowd in the halls. Even from inside your room you can hear all voices, running, and doors slamming throughout the circular tower, including people that are on the other side from where you are staying.

It was the worst night I've experienced in a Marriott, or any modern U.S. hotel for that matter. At 3:30am there was a guy yelling in the hall that he was locked out of his room but couldn't go to the front desk because he was in his boxers. The elevator had empty beer bottles in the morning. Upon check-out the front desk apologized, but unless they hire security to regulate the floors and the bar, there is nothing that they can do about the noise due to the design of the hotel.

It's disappointing to write, but you are better off to avoid this hotel, especially if there is going to be a wedding, event, of conference that might have people hanging out until late hours.

Room Tip: Top floor, furthest from the lobby bar.
Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KelleyMBA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Central Business District
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
Central Business District
Hyatt Regency Cincinnati
Hyatt Regency Cincinnati
#8 of 51 in Cincinnati

Been to Cincinnati Marriott at RiverCenter? Share your experiences!