“Golden Wedding Reception”
Review of Horsted Place

Horsted Place
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Little Horsted
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Recently invited to close friends Golden Wedding reception at Horsted Place. From the beginning nothing appeared to be too much trouble and we were treated as special guests (as every one else seemed to be) The food was excellent and served with care. The hosts choice of wine was good, however Horsted Place do no favours to themselves by using very large glasses and filling them only 1cm full. This should have been sorted out as it gave the wrong impression for an establishment using the name Horsted Place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sydney M

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel because we were going to a wedding in a nearby village, and chose it mostly on the grounds of location so it was a very welcome surprise to discover that it was a great little event all by itself.
I had not expected too much because earlier reviews mentioned rather unfriendly staff and made it sound stiff and starchy, but our experience was of a warm and welcoming arrival after driving through a twisting, tree lined drive onto a broad gravel car park where we could put the car right by the grand entrance.
It's a big, cozy Victorian pile, kitted out in immaculate slightly worn Country House style. Imagine staying with a titled family in their dear old place in the sticks. Which was what the Queen and Prince Phillip used to do when Prince Charles and Princess Anne were children and the house was still owned by their old friends, the Nevill family. (If you want to stay in the bedroom the Royals always had, ask for the Windsor Suite, according to the potted history supplied in the bedroom.)
We had a big, comfortable ground floor room which made life very easy for my husband who can't climb many stairs. There was a beautiful view of the gardens, a modern bathroom with all you'd expect in the way of nice smelly things and a decent bath and shower and when we asked if we could have some tea making things, we were brought a tray with a kettle, cups, teabags and a jug of fresh milk at once.
The rooms was warm - a radiator was just gently on, but you could open the window for fresh air if you wanted. It
There is a croquet lawn, lovely grounds to walk in and my favourite, a peaceful library with an eclectic selection of battered books and a secret door in the bookcases for staff to pop in and out from when they serve you a drink as you sit on the gently aged sofa.
There is also a large and elegant lounge with plenty of seating for bigger groups.
We didn't try the TV in our room but it seemed to be a good, modern one with Sky Sport as well as the usual channels. The wifi works well, the bed was made with traditional blankets and fat pillows.
The restaurant has big, well-spaced linen-covered tables and blessedly carpeted, curtained acoustics so even when busy you can hear the conversation around you. The night before we had eaten at a place all of glass and stone where the sound ricocheted off all the hard surfaces and nobody could hear a thing, so we appreciated it all the more.
We can't vouch for the lunches and dinners but the breakfasts were great. All cooked to order and brought to you, no tragic food wilting under keep-warm lights on a greasy buffet.
The sausages and bacon were outstanding and we were told a very local butcher supplied them both.
That's all we had time for. We enjoyed it all enormously. The staff were friendly and helpful without grovelling, the surroundings unpretentiously luxurious. Our stay cost us £180 for the whole thing, with a morning paper and the tray of tea all included and actually, I think it was worth it. We both felt refreshed and cheery as we crunched off up the drive. Recommended.

Room Tip: The Queen used to sleep in the Windsor Suite! Garden floor rooms are lovely and easy to walk to but...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CleoMagna
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I had my wedding in this hotel in early 2014. The atmosphere was warm and cosy and the staff were very attentive. I stayed both the night before the wedding and the night after, with my husband, and really enjoyed soaking up the lovely country-house atmosphere and enjoying the food, which was excellent throughout the stay. As we had the hotel booked exclusively it was particularly lovely to be able to relax in my slippers during the day, even in the common areas. I was under the weather the day after the wedding and the restaurant manager organised a full three course dinner in our room for us.

In terms of organisation for the wedding I am very grateful to Emma who was exceptional in getting everything sorted for us. I would highly recommend that you investigate this venue if you are getting married as it was the stand-out venue we looked at in the area.

We visited a number of times in the run-up to the wedding, for a lunch, a wedding taster dinner and for general organising and every time came away even more excited about the choice we had made to get married at Horsted.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank the g
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel is amazing ! built in 1850, offering all that could be expected of a country retreat from the madding crowds that we had endured, during our weekend trip to London over the bank holiday .

The room was updated to meet with to-days expectations, but still retains its true identity. To wake up in glorious sunshine and hear birds singing coupled with customer service and food qualities to match any 5* star London Hotel is true testament to the dedication of its staff.

We suggested that the afternoon tea was a 10/10 and will return if not just to experience the wonderful surroundings and another indulgent relaxing afternoon in the country side.

Hotel, staff and location…………… Fantastic !!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ray E
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at the hotel to attend a wedding over the Easter Weekend which was held there. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful location and hotel. The rooms were perfect and for the money very impressive. We had a small double which was actually very luxurious considering this was the cheapest room, it was more like a small suite. The bathroom was immaculate and had been recently refurbished or so it seemed. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff and our stay went perfectly. The breakfast was also lovely with very good quality ingredients. The only small but slightly upsetting part was checking out the next morning, the lady who dealt with this was very abrupt and quite rude, she may have been stressed and there may have been issues going on that we weren't aware of, but as a guest, we should not be aware of problems in the background as this put a dampener on what was an amazing stay, when all other members of staff had been amazingly helpful.

We were actually worried we had said or done something wrong, but then friends of ours who weren't aware of this checked out shortly after us and said they were treated the same way by the same lady.

Again this upset them and for the type of establishment I wouldn't expect to find this sort of service. I have stayed in a lot of similar hotels over the years and have never had this issue before.

But not to dwell on this point, I would definitely recommend Horsted Place as it is an extremely beautiful Hotel and a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Penny C
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We recently booked a two night stay at this lovely country house. I had contacted the hotel via email and they had offered a good rate for bed and breakfast. We chose a suite on the first floor with a view to the garden. Our arrival was pretty low key and to be honest the hotel looked quite deserted. We did eventually find the Reception but the 'reception' was not as warm as I would have hoped, and we were not made to feel welcome. We had informed the hotel that during the course of our stay we would be celebrating a special anniversary but throughout the stay there was no mention or recognition of this.

We were then greeted by the Hotel Manager, who was at least a little more friendly, and together with a very helpful young man we were escorted up to our suite. The suite was in fact a large open plan room with a small seating area and large king sized bed. The room was light and spacious and had a nice view to the garden, the bathroom was internal but well fitted and very clean.

As stated there was no 'welcome' in the room and it would have been nice to have at least had a card from the hotel.

We unpacked as best as we could although storage space was at a premium - the wardrobe was rather last its best and had those annoying hangers that hook onto rings on a pole, and thus cannot be taken out. There was very little drawer space, and I think one would struggle if staying more than a couple of days.

We ventured downstairs and were gain served by the same charming young man, who really is a credit to the hotel. The Drawing Room is a lovely spacious room with views of the garden, and lots of comfortable seating. We ordered tea and scones, both of which were very nicely served and the scones and home made jam were delicious.

We decided to have a walk in the garden. The grounds are quite extensive and feature some very well established shrubs and trees. The gardens were not overly manicured and had been left in their natural state, but this was in keeping with the country house feel of the house.

We had booked dinner in the restaurant and thus went down to the drawing room where we were greeted by a very pleasant gentleman, who took our drinks order and served some delicious canapés. The menu was very clearly laid out and I was delighted to see the hotel asked guest not to use mobile phones.

We went through to dinner, and were swayed at a lovely table in the beautiful and very elegant dining room. The food was of a very good quality. I had the scallops, which were well cooked, but I was not overly keen in the flavour of the sauce, which somewhat dominated the subtle flavour of the scallops. For main course I had duck which was very well cooked, and deliciously tender and my partner had filet of beef, which was very generously sized and tasted delicious. I had a lovely selection of cheese, and my partner had a delicious dessert. We also enjoyed a couple of glasses of different wines, both of which were excellent.

The restaurant was empty except for us as the only other table had cancelled. This did not bother us and the service was very friendly and attentive.

We had asked the bed to made up as two twins, which the hotel had kindly done. The hotel uses blankets and as these were folded in half it made them covers feel quite heavy, and the bedding tended to get tangled up. The pillows were very small and not that supportive, but the bed itself was very comfortable.

We were concerned we might be disturbed by road noise, but in fact it was very quiet, and as the hotel had very few guests staying we were not disturbed by other guests.

We went down for breakfast and were greeted by a very friendly young waitress. The breakfast menu was quite extensive and it made a pleasant change to be served rather than have a buffet. The food was delicious and service was very attentive. The room however felt quite cold and there was no heating in the room that I could discern.

The rest of the stay was fairly uneventful. I had asked if the bedding could be changed as the blankets were too heavy etc but sadly my wishes were ignored. When I went to tidy the bed on the second morning I noticed that the mattress protectors were very old and thin, and could do with being replaced with something more luxurious.

Breakfast on the second morning was somewhat 'hit and miss' as the young waiter was not well organised and despite there being only us and one other table of two service was slow and inconsistent. The room again was very cold, which was a shame as the food was again excellent.

We packed up our luggage and I asked Reception to send someone up to collect our luggage. By the time I had left the room no one had yet arrived, so I just made my way down to Reception. The bill was already prepared and with the exception of one small error, all was in order. The lady adjusted the bill, took payment and just handed me a folded up copy of the bill - no offer of an envelope, no 'did you enjoy your stay', in fact no conversation at all! I found the entire process very flat, as if our custom had not been welcomed. The hotel manager did come and say goodbye and asked if we had overall enjoyed our stay, but again I felt there was a lack of genuine interest and warmth and she was not sad to see us go. I was then greeted by the Housekeeping staff who had collected my luggage, and were waiting all in a row to take it to the car.

So I left with somewhat mixed feelings. The house is a beautiful building and the hotel has a lovely feel of staying in a private house, rather than a hotel. However, with the exception of some of the waiting staff, I did not find overall the experience to be that welcoming.

I had spoken at length to the hotel before our arrival and they were aware that I wished to have a quiet, spacious room. It was therefore a shame that we were allocated a suite overlooking the main function room of the hotel. On the second day there was a large party using the function room for afternoon tea. It was a warm day so our windows were open and you could hear guests under the windows in the garden, a number of whom were smoking, and thus we had to close the windows to prevent the smoke coming in.

The hotel was very quiet for the few days we were there in terms of guests staying over night and thus I feel the hotel could have been more flexible about what rooms they could have offered us. Other rooms were available but only if we wished to pay a supplement which in the circumstances seemed a shame as we would still have only used one set of sheets, towels etc, irrespective of the actual room we stayed in.

Therefore, as much as we liked the place very much and found the food to be excellent, certainly during our stay we found the place lacked warmth, both physical and personal. The hotel clearly depends heavily on its wedding and and function trade to make ends meet, but the hotel must not overlook its leisure guests.

My overall rating would have been 3.5 stars but have given 4 as I cannot give half stars.

Room Tip: All rooms are very individual and no two are alike. Portsmouth is a lovely light room and I also lik...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Piers G
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We took over Horsted for 24 hours to host our wedding. Liz and the team made us feel truly welcome allowing us to use the hotel as a home for the day. Liz was really insightful providing suggestions and guidance to make the day we wanted work. The staff worked tirelessly to ensure that we were where we needed to be for each part of the day, and adapted the timetable as we inevitably ran over. All our guests commented on how beautiful the venue was and how attentive the staff were.

The accommodation available on site meant that many of our friends and family could stay in comfort after the long day, they were astounded at the size of the rooms.

The food, an afternoon tea, was amazing. Before the big day we had been for an afternoon tea to taste the food and can only say that this meant we were even more excited about the day to come. The kitchen served round after round of great sandwiches, scones and beautifully presented cakes and treats - just what we were looking for! The evening BBQ continued the excellent quality ensuring our guests never went hungry. Full marks for a great full English the next morning!

If looking for a wedding venue that will make your guests say “wow”, Horsted is definitely the place to go. It offers a beautiful setting, great food and comfort to ensure that your day goes exactly to plan.

It’s also a great venue for afternoon tea for any occasion!

Room Tip: The rooms in the hotel itself are all beautiful. Even the standard doubles are very spacious, and t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding

Been to Horsted Place? Share your experiences!