“GOOD VALUE FOR OVERNIGHT STAY”

East Sussex National
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Little Horsted
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
“GOOD VALUE FOR OVERNIGHT STAY”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Great value - £100 for spacious double room and buffet breakfast. Superb location. All bedrooms overlook the golf course, and the verdant grounds. The hotel appears rather stark internally, with long corridors to bedrooms. The reception area is cavernous. Easy and plentiful parking. Dining area looks uninteresting, but did not sample food there.
Pool and gym area are well equipped and maintained.
You don't have to be a golfer to enjoy a stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 2nd floor - effectively the ground floor to reception, and preferably one close to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Tracy T, General Manager at East Sussex National, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our facilities, hopefully next time you visit us you may take the opportunity to try the restaurant

Tracy Tennant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
London
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Little break away with 6 month old baby and husband
Positives:
Manager sent me an email response about bringing own travel cot - nice little touch as they didn't have to and it made me feel like they cared. Clean room & bathroom. Spacious room. Love the shower cubicle being separate to the bath. Lovely huge soft fluffy towels. Used swimming pool facilities, where Staff were friendly and helpful. My baby was allowed in the pool (used swim nappies) but note that children are only allowed in the pool at certain times which are quite limited. Ample parking. Lovely grounds Very peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.

Little grumbles:
Long queue to check in when arrived at 2:45pm and room was not ready. Reception take a long time for someone to answer the phones. On 2nd day no toilet roll in room and the bin was not emptied. Reception addressed this straight away when notified.
Booked to have Carvery and we arrived at 7pm and they were still setting up. I reluctantly placed my baby into the high chair which was pretty sticky & grubby, but at least one was provided.
We we're advise we could help ourselves to starters but I had to ask for serving cutlery, and I had to ask for a spoon to dish the soup and I had to ask for butter with my bread. Basically I had to keep asking for service items and the staff seemed quite new as when I asked for something that person then had to ask another person. The restaurant experience was ok but seemed to need a little 'refinement'.

All-in-all a lovely stay and easy access to several tourist attractions and then back to a tranquil hotel.
Will definitely come back

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SSB82
Thank you for your comments, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please be assured that i will pass your comments onto my operations manager reagrding the issues you encountered

Once again Thank you

Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I needed to visit my accountant in Lancing and decided to take a very short break away from the rigours of being self employed! I booked on a special deal through Amazon local I expected to be traeted by the poor cousins (this has happened when we have taken up offers in the past with other chains!). I was so wrong we were treated like "normal" guests even down to the choice of dinner menue.
As we approached the Venue/hotel it became obvious that the whole site was going to be well llooked after, and so it proved. The approach to the buildings was impressive and almost overwhelming.

We were booked in by Ike who gave us all the information we could possibly need for our stay and I had previously telephoned to book a table in the Pavillion restaurant. I then modified the booking adding two more guests almost at the last minute the change was handled with `courtesy and politeness. Staying with reception when it came time to check out we were treated with the same respect and friendliness by Christine.

The room (classic standard) was clean and well presented and a delight to be in. we walked through the grounds avoiding the flying golf balls easily ( I play golf at De Vere Dunston Hall in Norwich but due to temporary health reasons could not play this time).

Now to the resataurant experince I find it a struggle to find words to describe our experience. I was met by Michelle, What a treasure she showed the right balance of friendliness and efficiency which has to come from within you cannot learn those skills easily. She made the whole evening a real pleasure for us and our two guests. I commend her unreservedly.

After we had finished sous chef Neil came out and asked us about the food and spent time to talk us through what we had just eaten. I have to say the quality of the food was outstanding and would be equally at home being served in any top class restaurant in London (at twice the price). My guests were equally complmentary and as they are local to you they will be visiting again in the near future (as we will later in the year). To sum it up a really, really specail evening was created by Michelle for us.

On to breakfast, I thought that this standard cannot be maintained, How wrong I was we asked to sit on the balcony (no problems setting a table especially for us). We were looked after by Lorraine the supervisor, Billy Joe, Sophie and Katie all with very happy and poisitve attitudes cannot fault them. So wiil I be coming back? For sure. will I play golf next time maybe depending on the health issues.

It is always a good test if you feel sad at leaving a hotel or venue.

So the bottom line is. Well done, the way the staff behave has to filter down from the management so well done to them as well. I have run out of words to say. I would advise anyone to not take my word for it try the venue for yourselves.

Sincerely Tony White

Room Tip: All rooms looke great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Wow, i dont know where to start as a Thank you doesnt seem suffice for the superb comments you have made not only about the facilities but most importantly about the team, they will be delighted.

Yes you must book the golf next time as the courses are superb and two to choose from, we do hope to greet you again soon to ESN

Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Nightstopped this excellent hotel from our home in north Dorset as my husband was playing golf at nearby CBGC and an after-match dinner was involved at the Club. I checked in by myself with a view to meeting him later in the afternoon. Hotel Reception was busy on Sunday with guests waiting to check in but the one Receptionist on duty coped admirably and was so welcoming and helpful, as was the guy she summoned to help me with our luggage. Beautiful Reception area. Spacious room, lovely ensuite facilities, excellent breakfast. My thanks to their excellent 'front of house' staff for making check-in so smooth and stress-free for this not-so-young traveller. Would recommend this hotel wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us and for your kind understanding regarding the reception team. I will ensure that the team are aware of your kind words

We do hope to see you again soon

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Have played golf here before, ( A great course), but this was an overnight spa break for the wife and I.

The setting is idyllic, nestling in the verdant Sussex countryside with The South Downs as its backdrop. Easy access from London, the airports and from the coast, it seems to appeal to a wide audience. The building itself is fairly contemporary from the outside but has a luxuriant charm inside.

I value service highly wherever I go and abhor surly, snobbish and downright rude staff. None of that here...everyone that we talked to maintained eye contact, smiled and did their best to tend to your needs. A special mention here to Christine on reception, a real people person, and genuinely interested in our stay from check-in to check-out. Well done!

We had a standard room, which would knock the usual Premier Inn offering into a 'cocked hat', (the only thing missing was a fridge mini-bar, but there was decent room service on offer).
There was a large wedding party on-going, but this did not seem to interfere with anything else and even though the reception went on late, we never heard it from our room.

The dinner was, for a set menu, surprisingly good. Presentation and quality being excellent. We were told we could order 'A la Carte' for a small surcharge, but looking at the 3 course/3 choice offerings we decided to 'stick'. The buffet breakfast was similarly of a very high standard, plentiful, well tended and regularly replenished.

Last, but not least, the Spa. All the usual offerings Gym, Pool, Sauna, Jacuzzi, Steam Room and large changing / shower facilities. These were all clean, modern and in GWO and didn't seem overcrowded at any point. We had a couple of sessions booked at the Horsted Spa, ( massage / facial treatment ), and these were expertly carried out in a very relaxing atmosphere, all mood lighting and 'birdsong'!

All in all, a pleasant surprise and much needed break combined! My advice, leave the golf clubs at home for once and work on lowering your handicap with the wife!

Room Tip: It is a very long walk from reception to some of the furthest rooms. Some of the longest corridors...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard H
Tracy T, General Manager at East Sussex National, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you so much for such a lovely review, the team will be delighted to read and i love your advice to the other golfers about leaving the golf clubs at home

I will ensure all the team read your review as i am sure they will be delighted to read such an lovely review

We do hope you return soon

Birmingham
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just spent a night at the East Sussex National while visiting Glyndebourne.
Pros: Extremely friendly and helpful staff from check to check out. Spacious room with a balcony overlooking the golf course and a great en suite. The shower was particularly good, fantastic water pressure and very easy to control. The included cooked breakfast was a good standard. Huge pool and well equipped gym.
Cons: Breakfast coffee was so so, and that's it. It really is a good place. If the coffee is a deal breaker for you, think how little you paid for the room and cough up £2.60 for one of their excellent cappuccinos. I know I did!
I unhesitatingly recommend the team here who made our stay truly excellent and amazing value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
First Class review

Thank you and we hope to see you next year

Westgate-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a Buddhist weekend course. The room was magnificent, extremely spacious with a queen size bed overlooking the golf course. A well stocked tray with tea, coffee and luxury hot chocolate in the room with a table and chairs which were positioned so that a peaceful view and a cuppa could be enjoyed. Nice toiletries in the bathroom too with very soft towels. The food at all 3 mealtimes during the day was superb, plenty of choice for both veggies and meat eaters. Staff were friendly and helpful and had time for conversation. The swimming pool and spa were the icing on the cake, large pool with a choice of both steam room and sauna and a jacuzzi. I can only praise the stay, it really was pure indulgence for a couple of days, thank you so much x

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your comments, the team said you all were a delight so Thank you from us too

We do hope that you return soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horsted
The Shelleys
The Shelleys
#4 of 8 in Lewes
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to East Sussex National? Share your experiences!