“An amazing and memorable Anniversary Break!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of East Sussex National

East Sussex National
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Little Horsted
Stevenage
“An amazing and memorable Anniversary Break!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the East Sussex National this week for 2 nights (6th - 8th) to celebrate our anniversary. After an extensive search of similar Golf and Spa resorts this looked to fit the bill perfectly, and on arrival we weren't let down.

We had contacted the hotel before our arrival to organise some activities for our stay (spa massage and golf), both the General Manager Tracey and the Operations Manager Chloe were very quick to respond and help organise everything for us, Fantastic service before we had even arrived.

On arrival, the service at reception was quick and efficient meaning we could get into our room straightaway. To our great surprise we had been upgraded to a Suite (room 201) and we were greated by a 'Happy Anniversary' chocolate tray and was delivered a 'Happy Anniversary' Chocolate cake in the evening on our first night. Lovely touch!

The room was amazing, loads of space. 2 TV's with a little lounge area. The bathroom was very spacious and clean. Lovely big bath and seperate walk-in shower. The Queen size bed was amazingly comfortable and made for 2 very good nights sleep. We also had a very large balcony over-looking the East Golf Course, lovely view!
Breakfast both mornings was great with a hot and cold buffet good enough for anyone, the staff could not be more helpful and attentive.

Both myself and my girlfriend had great experiences with the Leisure facilities namely, swimming pool, sauna, steam room, spa and golf course. We could not use the Jacuzzi as it had broken that weekend but that did not spoil our visit.

So overall, we had an amazing stay at ESN and will certainly come and stay here again.

Thank You ESN!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Tracy T, General Manager at East Sussex National, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you so much for an amazing review, it is always a pleasure to read when guests have enjoyed there stay and always nice to see names mentioned too, the team will be delighted to read your comments

We do hope to see you again soon

Kind regards

Tracy Tennant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Arrived with my daughter yesterday as a hopefully nice treat, as we had purchased a spa voucher, we were informed on arrival that the jacuzzi was not working by the pool and if we should want to use their spa relaxation facilities then we should pay more!!!! Totally disappointed as the pool area only had 3 sun loungers and they were taken!!! And my daughter is pregnant.....awful never going back!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Teresa B
Tracy T, General Manager at East Sussex National, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your comments and I am so sorry that our Jacuzzi is at present awaiting a part for repair, whilst this is no consolation to you I do apologise.

Yes there is a small charge should you wish to use the relaxation facilities within the Spa area unless it is part of your package.

The loungers I am sorry if they were in use by other guests

Once again I do apologise and I am sorry that you feel let down

Worcester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at The National on business so I didn't get the opportunity to use the extensive leisure facilities. The first thing that struck me was the size of the bedroom. As someone who frequently stays in hotels I can't recall ever staying in a larger room, it was enormous! The en-suite had a bath and a separate walk-in shower. The views across the golf course to the downs beyond was spectacular. During my stay I ate in the restaurant twice. On both occasions I found the food and the service to be excellent. I slept soundly in an enormous and very comfortable bed. The spread at breakfast would be to almost anyone's taste. I rarely give five stars on a review but in this case it was well deserved. I look forward to revisiting The National in the future on a leisure break.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank John R
Top Review !! Thank you for your kind comments and yes the suites we also think are very special

Once again Thank you and we hope to see you again soon

solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Whilst my wife and I were travelling around Kent/Sussex/Surrey we had stayed two nights in Brighton and then needed somewhere in the countryside close to where were visiting National Trust and HHA properties and I found East Sussex National on the web. I was so glad that we had for it was just what we needed after driving around in the day to be able to relax in the bar lounge and our great large bedroom (kept us fit though room 228 was a long walk every time).

Having been driving everyday we decided to eat in the hotel and on the first day we had the snack of pitta bread with hummus £3.50 with a pint of Asahi beer £4.50 and Gin and Tonic £5.50 and then after changing we had the bar menu of Chicken Caesar £10.95 and the Chicken with Chips £9.50 (both were very good).

The following day we had the buffet breakfast which was tremendous (Fresh fruit,cold meats and cheese,smoked salmon on scrambled egg,kippers,porridge,egg,bacon,baked beans,mushrooms,sausages,tomatoes,pastries,fruit juices,cereals) we did not need to eat at lunchtime. On return at evening time we ate in the main restaurant and had the Lamb £17.50 (excellent) and the Pan fried cod £18.00 (very good) and shared the dessert tasting plate £14.00 (scrumptious but too much for us).To accompany we had med glass of Merlot £5.75 and med La Place £5.45 mint tea £1.95 Espresso £2.40.

The bedroom was clean with a lovely bathroom and a super view of the countryside from our small balcony.Both nights we slept sound thanks to a comfortable bed and super air con(last week it was so hot 22/23 July).

All though I do not play golf I would certainly recommend people to stay here as the staff have been very helpful and attentive.

Room Tip: Ask how far you have to walk to your room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for a lovely review of all our facilities it is always a pleasure to read when guests have enjoyed there stay with us

We do hope that you visit us again soon

Polegate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had a much larger than average room with a beautiful bathroom. All was spotlessly clean, and the bed was very comfortable. In the evening we sat on the large balcony, which had views over the surrounding countryside.
Apparently we could have used the swimming pool, but the DeVere website didn't make that clear, so i didn't pack my swimming things.
We didn't have dinner, but breakfast was included in the price. We sat it the large, circular dining room, most people sat nearer the food, on the other side of the bar.
Now i know i am easy amused, but the choice of breakfast music i thought was rather interesting - Marvin Gaye," Lets get in on"! Possibly suitable for a romantic evening meal, not so much for breakfast. And Marvin appeared to be on a continual loop - i heard it at least five times over breakfast! Now don't get me wrong - i quite like Motown, been to the Motown studios in Detroit and everything...but it was very funny!
I don't think the music was turned up so loud where most people were sitting and i don' think anyone else noticed - but i certainly will never be able to drive past the East Sussex National Golf club again without thinking of breakfast with Marvin...

Room Tip: As everyone says, not to far from reception - unless you have eaten lots of breakfast or dinner and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank happytraveller65_12
Tracy T, General Manager at East Sussex National, responded to this review, 4 August 2014

I will certainly go and listen to the music as I would also be amused if i heard it too. I have just checked the website and have posted below the wording, I do hoewever apologise if this wasnt clear enough on the website and will re address with marketing

With facilities including an indoor leisure complex with pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, it is one of the best equipped venues in Sussex. Dine in style in the AA Rosette award winning Pavilion restaurant and if golf is your passion, East Sussex National has two championship standard golf courses.

Once again Thank you for your comments and I do hope that we will see you again soon

Hove, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Hotel is lovely with superb grounds. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the competence of the staff. We had booked the tea a week before for 3pm so the knew well in advance that we were coming. One of party had rang the day before to make a special request for certain sandwiches and was told that it would be fine. We sat down at our table and the tea (no choice of tea given!) arrived fairly quickly but we were told straight the special order was not available & they knew nothing about it - Tuna was then offered instead. Half an hour later still no food and then we were told no tuna available. We eventually got the sandwiches at 3.45pm. With a very poor selection of cakes but very tasty scones. Once again we asked for Strawberry Jam and waited another 10 minutes to be then told no jam! It was an absolute debacle for a so called hotel of this calibre. The Manageress was apologetic & did try & rectify the situation. It is such a shame because the Hotel is lovely and the Sunday Carvery is delicious but they certainly do not know how to make afternoon tea!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pippaodm

I do apologise for the lack of service standards that you encountered and I can assure you this is in no way our usual standards and I once again apologise

Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was our third time at this hotel which remains very good and offers excellent value for money in terms of the facilities. The bedrooms are large and cleanliness is very good. On this occasion there was an impression that the hotel is increasingly used for conferences and the like - which is not surprising but if you happen to run into one during your stay it does detract a little when using the limited 'public' areas.

Room Tip: The hotel bedrooms can be a very long way from the reception area........
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

We are so pleased that you decided to return for a third time to us. I do apologise if the public areas were a little busy with conference guests but i do hope that this doesnt deter you from visiting use again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horsted
Pelham House
Pelham House
#3 of 8 in Lewes
Dale Hill Hotel and Golf Club

Been to East Sussex National? Share your experiences!