“Gwinn Island Memorial Day Weekend 2012”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Danville
Gwinn Island Resort and Marina
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed in a very nice 2 bedroom cabin on the island. Everything was clean and working condition. This was surpising based on the old reviews we saw on Trip Advisor. Apparently, Gwinn Island Resort & Marina changed ownership almost 2 1/2 years ago. The new owners were very nice and accommodating. We did notice changes as they were pointed out. Like they tore down the old waterfront store and were using a small floating cabin temporarily. They said they hope to build a new one in the next few years. They also were updating a lot of the cabins interiors' and exteriors. Overall, our stay was very nice. We launched our boat at their ramp and the kids swam in the lake and we roasted marshmellows over our fire pit. We will definitely go back. And not to mention the price was better than 3 other campgrounds on Herrington which allowed us to put more gas into our boat for skiing.

Room Tip: Just ask what the best rate you can get is and they worked with us and probably will work with you.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Connie W

Reviewed 28 February 2010

When I was younger My dad took us here several times when he could afford it, it was wonderful family times fishing and swiming and just having family time. I really hadn't visited this place as a adult unitl 2002 when my dad was dx with CA and wanted one last family vacation, and time for our family to sit and enjoy each other, since then every year our family enjoys this peacefull setting and spend quality time together

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank tammybeyer
Reviewed 12 June 2008

My dad's family went here when he was little, now my family has started a tradition (10 years this year) and we will continue it. It is an older camp ground with older fishing cabins. We all squeeze together in about 4-5 cabins just to sleep and house the food. We are outdoors most of the time and my kids (4,5 and 9) enjoy this every year. We go in the fall when it cools down some and we can have a fire going every night. Everyone goes fishing and we all sit around and enjoy the long weekend to visit. There are no TV's, phones or radios, so it's back to the basic!! The Green family loves it!!

Stayed: October 2007
7  Thank keplmj
Reviewed 2 January 2008

My Mom's family has been going to Gwinn Island since she was younger, therefore she took us when we were younger. This place has so many memories attached to it. I agree with the past review, you must understand that these "cabins" are pretty old. However, we rarely stay inside. The decks are nice to sit on and watch the boats pass by and are a good size. We rent pontoon boats and john boats and fish most of the day. The pool is small, but whenever we go it isn't crowded. I personally haven't been there for a couple years, but I look forward to going back this year with my cousins and our kids.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
6  Thank summerfrog81
Reviewed 6 May 2007

I am not a person accustomed to luxury but Iwas quite surprised by the conditions I saw when we arrived. Iwas lucky to have my choice of the shacks available.I am writing this review not because of any hostility I have towards the place because the people there are nice,I just wish I had been able to get some information before staying there which I couldn,t get with any real accuracy.The shacks are old and somewhat rundown but it is under new ownership and they are trying to improve the place.I hope they have deep pockets.If you plan on staying there bring plenty of booze and some really good smoke.It just takes a little getting used to and maybe ideal for some people.Danville is a nice quaint town with many more comfortable places to stay if your not into roughing it.If you decide to stay there after this review don,t complain.

7  Thank Tim1957
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danville
Red Roof Inn Danville
#6 of 6 in Danville
Quality Inn Danville
Quality Inn Danville
#5 of 6 in Danville

Been to Gwinn Island Resort and Marina? Share your experiences!