“Pussy Galore!”

Tiing Gading Bungalows
Reviewed 11 July 2013

On arrival from the vile Nusa Dua to the opening drive/alley of Tiing Gading in Ubud I must say that the outlook was rather bleak and dismal and depressing. However on stepping through the first doorway we were transported into a different world. We were met by the owners who immediately exuded warmth and sincerity. Thereafter all of my doubts vanished. We had been recommended this property by friends and found it to fit exactly with their description. There are several double storey bungalows surrounding a lovely lush garden (slightly overgrown in some areas). We were in a top floor apt, the bedroom and bathroom are a little small but then on the other hand, the only time spent inside is the night time and the bed was large, old fashioned and very, very comfortable. The best part is the balcony which is large and has two comfortable chairs on it. These we used for much of our time in the complex and occasionally (especially early morning) some hot tea and lemon would appear and await our attention. This tea was perfect with the lemon squeezed into it and gave us a kick start every day. The Staff in the complex were exemplary, quiet, efficient and pleasing on the eye! The breakfast choices were varied and served in an unhurried fashion. We had the pleasure of taking dinner in Tiing Gading for three nights of our stay and food was superb, well cooked by Siti. She was also very good at organising our trips around the city and environs and nothing was ever a bother. Her husband Allan was also a character and proved very loquacious and often amusing and always kind. All in all a very pleasant break, in quiet surroundings (even the calls of the nature and animals around during the night seemed to blend in with the peace!). There were also three pussy cats who were occasional tempted to roll over on their back and purr! What more does a holiday maker need? I recommend everybody to go there soon before it becomes too popular and loses its charm.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RalphSingapore66

Reviewed 3 June 2013

The owner runs a cookery class and her skill at cooking Indonesian, Asian and Western food is amazing - definitely worth enjoying dinner there at least one night than just having the complementary breakfast. The location is good and only 10 minute walk from the shops / bars. The rooms are comfortable and clean and excellent value. The staff are friendly and helpful. Free welcome drink, tea, breakfast were provided as well as a slice of cake when I left ! :P

A tip for Ubud and no reflection on Tiing Gading - Ubud get's very quiet after midnight and I got chased by some dogs walking home one night. This could happen wherever you are staying as it was on one of the main roads. Advice: if you are going to go out late, get dog repellent spray !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tomsksquidge
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My first trip to Bali and I stayed at Tiing Gading Bungalows. The owners and staff are gracious, kind, warm, and welcoming. They were a huge part of my overall enjoyment in Bali. The rooms were very clean and offered a view of the beautiful gardens and swimming pool. We ate at some of the restaurants in Ubud and I have to say my favorite and most delicious meals were made at Tiing Gading. Siti is an outstanding cook, and I would highly recommend taking one of her cooking classes. You will not regret it. Outstanding hotel for reasonable price. You will be well taken care of here. I miss waking up every morning to the chorus of nature, and a carafe of hot tea waiting for me on my balcony.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PamP488
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Just picture ... sitting out on your deck enjoying the early morning tropical bird calls and a tray with a thermos of hot tea and fresh lime arrives to gently nourish you into the day. A leisurely breakfast in the open-air dining room awaits with a menu full of local choices. Hmmm... should I have the "to die for" banana pancake today? Or the exotic black rice pudding? Spicy mie goreng? Or am I missing home and want fresh scrambled eggs with home made bread? No matter the choice, the breakfast is absolutely "delish" and is served with fresh squeezed juice and hot Balinese coffee or tea.

Dinners were equally sumptuous and the best that I had anywhere in Ubud. By the end of my two week stay I was ready to move in permanently. The attention of the owners, Siti and Allan were non-stop and their staff were all very helpful, always smiling, always available. Both the owners are amazing cooks. Allan even went so far as to bake an amazing Birthday cake for one of our group.

Cooking lessons with Siti proved to be one of the BEST Balinese cultural experiences we had and we now know how to cook a very mean chicken green curry and nasi goreng.

The experience at Tiing Gading is very much a "Personal" one. You arrive as a guest and leave as a friend. You are within a reasonable walk of Monkey Forest and the main shopping streets of Ubud, but beware, the Ubud streets are not easy walking with their uneven pavements and dangerous holes. Taxis make the journey easy and are inexpensive.

Refreshing afternoon dips in the pool are heaven in the Ubud heat. A cold beer or juice is always available as is FREE drinking water. You need only refill your bottle. Tips and advice on what to do and see are always available.

This is not a "posh" place. At Tiing Gading you leave those kinds of expectations behind and instead bathe in the richness of Balinese culture, food, friendship and hospitality. Your well being and safety are paramount. You are nestled in comfort and your Balinese cottage begins to feel like home as you become part of this Balinese family. This is the kind of place a good, world traveler really enjoys.

You are well cared for from the moment you arrive until you finally (regrettably!) depart.( I'm definitely coming back!)

And yes, the neighborhood cocks do crow early in the morning and yes, they may wake you ... just in time for that hot thermos of tea. It's all part of the local, cultural experience.

Wonderful value for the money ... you don't easily find this kind of complete hospitality out there in the travel world today.

Room Tip: Upper rooms ... sitting out on the deck is lovely!
Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Gibsonspeg
Reviewed 31 January 2013

One of the best hotels we stayed in in Indonesia and in Asia in general. It consists of two-storeyed cottages standing in a beautiful tropical garden. The rooms are large and beautifully adorned in the traditional Balinese style. They have all you need (ac, hot water, free wi-fi, a fridge even, a large balcony with armchairs, a good bed) and are furnished with an extreme attention to detail and to guests' comfort, which is very appealing and touching. The lady who met us was very welcoming and friendly, and the breakfast she made was filling and delicious. It is a bit noisy during the night (on account of roosters and frogs) but I used my earplugs and slept like a baby. I wish I could spend more time in this lovely place and cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ksu
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Such a welcome change from busy commercial hotels of Kuta and Seminyak! The rooms were cool, traditional and very clean, but the best and most memorable thing about Ting Gading was the service - all the small things, welcome drink on arrival, a hot thermos of tea outside your room very early every morning, a mosquito coil lit outside your room at 5pm... You just didn't have to ask for anything!
It's not situated in the heart of Ubud, but everything is still a walkable distance, including some of the better hidden local restaurants.
We did a cooking class with Sitty, an amazing experience, we cooked 6 or 7 things, we were so full we couldn't fit in dessert so she let us do it the next morning!
Would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lizzie F
Reviewed 19 September 2012 via mobile

Slight disappointment with Tiing Gading, we decided to stay here after seeing reveiws on trip advisor.
I'm afraid it didn't meet our expectations.
Firstly we got a great deal on two nights stay so cannot complain about that!
& the lady that saw us to our room was the loveliest.
The room was very traditional with beautiful wood carved doors & surrounding nature! Felt quite private.
Breakfast was good too.
So the disappointment came with the pool cleanliness,which we did not even entertain & sun lounges are not mobile & covered in ants.
You need a pool in ubud as you are not close to a beach.
The walk was quite far to the main strip for places to eat & very dark walking back in the evening.
So location wasn't great.
We also woke in the night to find our room had been invaded by giant ants which had come in from the drain in the bathroom!i have never seen so many!!This was not a pleasant experience & ment we did not sleep well this night!
The cockerels next door started calling as early as 3am in the morning sometimes so would avoid If a light sleeper!
But I surpose all part of the experience!

• Stayed: September 2012