“maya oh maya !!!”

Maya Ubud Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We recently spent 4 nights at the Maya Ubud and wished our stay was longer. THE most beautiful place i have EVER stayed. Our garden villa and the resort grounds were absolutley lovely and very peacful and relaxing. The staff were also wonderful, always very friendly and helpful. We hope to return next year.

1  Thank kensmate
Write a ReviewReviews (2,322)

Reviewed 17 October 2011

During the second half of our honeymoon in Bali, my wife and I stayed at the Maya Ubud. We were amazed by the location; the resort is adjacent to a deep river valley on one side and rice fields on the other side. Views from different parts of the resort are picturesque and stunning including the two swimming pools and spa. We especially enjoyed the food which combined traditional local fare with global options. The river cafe adjacent to the spa was exceptionally good with lighter options that were perfect for lunch. Shuttle service into Ubud was convenient and comfortable (and free) during the day and evening transportation was relatively inexpensive. Ubud itself was an excellent cultural discovery after our hectic first stop in Seminyak. The Maya Ubud was one of the highlights of our trip and we'd love to find an excuse to go back.

Room Tip: We took a garden villa which didn't have views of the river or rice fields. Still, the room was...
2  Thank Serkan O
Reviewed 14 October 2011

By far the most beautiful place I have ever stayed, The staff was wonderful, the grounds impeccable. We had a garden villa with a private pool. Heaven! Quiet except the chirp of frogs, ( Sound like little birds) and the Spa..... I think the best Massage I have ever had. Worth every last cent. Will go back again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank AntiquarianThreads
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Wonderful service - On arrival greeting with cool towels and a cool drink. Seamless check-in.

Rooms - We had a garden villa. Lovely room, but we spent very little time in it.

Breakfast - Great breakfast! Love the ambience of the restaurant overlooking the forest.

Special features -
Beautiful gardens and pools. I preferred the pool closer to the main buildings rather than the pool near the river - as you really felt you were swimming into the forest - an incredibly unique experience.
Great morning yoga class by the rice paddy fields.
Entertaining walking tour with Winana who explained all of the plants and flowers all around - thank you!
Complementary afternoon tea - At 4pm is a lovely touch.

Downsides -
Distance from Ubud was a definite drawback for me. I found it really annoying that the complementary shuttle service stops at 5pm (I assume this is to increase the numbers at the resort restaurants in the evening). The hotel charges 50,000 rupiah each way for the shuttle after 5pm - when we asked why it was so expensive (and IT IS compared with metered taxis in Kuta for example) we were snootily informed that it was a five star resort. No kidding. I think I will find something a little more down to earth next time with that attitude. Taxis in Ubud to/from the hotel can be bargained down to 30,000 rupiah (still expensive vs. Kuta, but certainly more reasonable vs. the hotel).

Room Tip: If you plan to spend very little time in your room (as we did) I wouldn't bother upgrading to a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank its_about_glamour
Reviewed 8 October 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights in September and were upgraded FOC to a garden villa, as we were originally booked in the main building. The villa was very comfortable and although there were a few niggles, such as the TV not facing the bed, generally we found it to be very good. The grounds and pool area were very well kept and the food was good, although very pricey. Complimentary afternoon tea was a nice touch and the shuttle bus always had room for us, even if it did stop running at 5.30. However the taxi fare from town to the resort was only about £3 so not really an issue. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2011

The resort is a 'wow' - the open layout in a large garden setting is just spectacular. The ravine/stream/spa is just one of a kind and a highlight of quite an extensive trip for us.
Postives;
- wow factor beautiful - step into nature
- great architecture and desigh
- spa
- really friendly staff
- food
- location
- we loved the walk thorugh the rice paddies experience
- best soft drink coctails by far
Not so sure;
- the villas - it is back to nature - bugs, maybe a squirrel in the thatched roof as well. Not much in way of room facilities
- they need to take greater care with food - open air buffet layout is fine but cover all the food (from flies). They did this selectively but I saw far too many flies on open dishes.
- better information re Ubud - the general map tells you little - shopping is really on Monkey forrest steeets, not just the market.

Room Tip: I would have tried the room in the main hotel - the villas were a bit too close to nature.
1  Thank Vinehall70
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Maya Ubud is a contained resort on one side of a deep valley, just five minutes from Ubud town. What you might not appreciate from the photos on Tripadvisor is the size of the resort and just how many villas they pack in. It is immaculately landscaped with beautiful plantings and manicured lawns (and sprinklers running constantly). The staff are friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant is excellent. Breakfast was a highlight -- a great selection of breads, fresh fruit, cooked and cold dishes.

For all that, I still wouldn't stay here again. As I discovered from talking to my taxi drivers, other places in Ubud offer all of the above and a driver for the day for half the price. Maya offers a shuttle bus that runs hourly from 9-5pm. I wondered if it stops at 5pm to encourage travellers to eat at the resort -- the dinners were spectacular but priced around 3x what you would pay for a similar meal in town. Likewise, Maya has its own spa, but the prices were astronomical, not just compared to Ubud but to my home town, Melbourne.

If you are looking for a self-contained resort experience and money is no object then Maya Ubud might be the resort for you. For me, the point of going to Ubud and not a resort town like Nusa Dua is to get out and experience the town and its beautiful surrounds, and Maya Ubud really doesn't make that easy.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank Danmeek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
The Kayon Resort
Komaneka at Bisma
Komaneka at Bisma
#17 of 200 in Ubud
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang

Been to Maya Ubud Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!