“Something for everyone”

Maya Ubud Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed for a week on my own in a Garden Villa. Couldn't have chosen a better place than Ubud and the Maya Resort & Spa was the perfect hotel. Morning yoga sessions were non intimidating for beginners and a great way to start the day. Exceptionally friendly and well trained staff who ensure all guests feel like "regulars". A fabulous array of activities are run from the hotel, such as guided walks, private yoga and cultural dances so it always felt as though there was something happening. The shuttle service into the centre of Ubud made it easy to pursue other activites outside the resort. Even though I'd never holidayed alone before, I felt very comfortable and safe at the Maya and would definitely go again for an indulgent recharge! I must also mention the fabulous buffet breakfasts which had absolutely everything on offer.

Room Tip: The private garden villa (405) was very well appointed and private. I found it was handy to have a t...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank MAJ-from-Melbourne
Write a ReviewReviews (2,312)

Reviewed 5 January 2012

This was our second hotel for the second week of our honeymoon.

LOVED our room, just stunning!! We upgraded to a garden villa, and it was beautiful. We felt like we wer every secluded, but actually it was only a few minutes walk to reception and breakfast. Big comfy bed. TV with lots of UK channels and DVD player too (buy cheap pirate dvd's in Ubud and they will work on the DVD players in the room, ours worked on our DVD player at home too which was a bonus!). Room always cleaned when DND was not on, and we got a treat every day, cake one day, another day was iced coffee!

Breakfast was excellent everyday, and they actually had UK style tea which I was so grateful for (though not quite pg tips!). Huge selection, and hot food was always hot.

Poole were beautiful, we loved the infinity pools overlooking the river and valleys. Breathtaking!

The spa was amazing. though expensive. The rooms are open on one side, overlooking the river, so you can hear it trickling throughout the massage. BLISS!!

We ate at the restaurant next to the spa, once for lunch, and once for dinner. Quite expensive, but not as bad as I was expecting. Though the chocolate pudding, which sounded amazing on the menu, was tiny and a huge dissapointment. I was amazed at all the Gluten/Wheat fee options. Although not a ceoliac myself, my sister is, and I was impressed that they had so many options including Pizza's.

About a 30 minute drive to UBUD, but the hotel ran a frequent shuttle bus. When we stayed out late we just got the restaurant to phone the hotel who sent a car for us (for a charge, but less than a taxi would have cost and no worries about safety etc)

Ubud is very busy, and gets livelier in the evenings, though we never stayed in Ubud passed 7 so we dont have any review on the nightlife.

I recommened the Lotus restuarant just a few minutes walk from the hotel drop off point. We went twice as it was so good!

I was really looking forward to shopping in Ubud, but found it all very dissapointing. The markets were mainly just junk, rubbish clothes, sarongs etc. The main shops were quite expensive. I didn't buy half as much as I was expecting. Alot of the stuff was exactly the same as the stuff I bought in Thailand so I didnt bother.

I thoroughly recommend cycling through the rice paddies and villages near ubud. The local children all run out and want to high five and talk to you. Such a great experience. We did the tour which ended at the Elephant Safari Park. The cycling is all down hill, and so easy, dont be put off if you hate exercise (like me!), it really was easy.

The Elephant Safari Park is definitely a must, even on its own. The elephants are well cared for and the ride under the stars was beautiful. (although I would actually recommend a day time ride as you could see very little in the dark).

Overall a lovely hotel, a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BuntyBearFace
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Maya Ubud. The service was excellent, grounds were meticulously maintained, and the food was great. Our kids loved the pool.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Thered1
Reviewed 29 December 2011

There are two exceptionally good features of the Maya Ubud. The first is the extensive and spectacular grounds, which an army of gardeners keep to a state of perfection. Allied with this is the hotel's stunning location at the edge of a gorge. Words cannot adequately describe how good the grounds of this hotel are. This is what has me coming back here frequently.

The second exceptionally good feature is the staff. They are welcoming, helpful and very friendly. Some of them have worked at this hotel for many years, which itself says a lot about this place.

Mention should also be made of the hotel shop, which sells a very interesting array of stock, from true antiques through reproductions to souvenirs.

I understand that the Maya opened some ten years ago, and unfortunately this shows, especially in the accommodation. The villa accommodation is more basic than luxurious, and, not for the first occasion, the lights of my villa went out one evening on account of an electrical fault. An electrician was then prompt in coming to fix the problem, but it should not have happened in the first place. There was also a blockage to the bathroom handbasin, which the staff were also prompt to attend to. But again, this should not have occured.

During my most recent visit, there were paintings for sale hung throught the public areas of the hotel building - with price tags attached. This display of merchandising did nothing to promote a five-star atmosphere in the hotel.

The Maya is not part of an international hotel chain, so there is no loyalty scheme for guests. (Indeed, although I have now stayed there on no less than seven occasions, I have never been offered an upgrade. What you pay for it what you get.)

Room Tip: Make sure your villa is as far away from the motorcycle parking area as possible, especially if you...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank afdickey
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This is one place that I was truely sad to leave. Beautiful location, breathtaking view, genuine people and good food. Our driver/tour guide from the hotel, Mr Dewa Oka, spoke so passionately about his village and we are really grateful to him for showing us the REAL Ubud. After just 3 nights in Maya Ubud, we told ourselves we will never want to go back to the more commercialised part of Bali (like Nusa Dua, Jimbaran, etc). Thank you Maya Ubud Resort, thank you Oka!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Loved every minute of it. The wonderful hotel, the beautiful surroundings, the excellent service and the amazing spa. Can't wait to get back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2011

This is really an excellent hotel in the middle of the green nature and hospitality of Bali. Definitely suitable for couple. Room was nicely decorated so that you will really feel back to nature. We had our own pool, but they also have bigger pool. Try the spa, so relaxing...

Enjoy 2-3 night stay before you move to the rocking Kuta or other nice places in Bali.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
Kamandalu Ubud
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Komaneka at Bisma
Komaneka at Bisma
#17 of 196 in Ubud

Been to Maya Ubud Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!