“Pure magic in an unforgettable setting overlooking jungle and rice paddies”

Maya Ubud Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Maya Ubud is a very special place to stay, especially for a romantic and secluded getaway in the lovely hill country of Ubud. The level of service was exceptional and the refined beauty of the entire resort is pure pleasure (even took pics of the uber-deluxe ladies room off the restaurant!!) The hightlight for us was a special group dinner in the signature Sari Mas restaurant. They arranged a very reasonable set menu for us and at no extra charge they surrounded our table with candles, decorated it with flowers and printed souvineer personalised menus for the occasion. Each course was exquisate as we dined beneath billowing white silk drapes overlooking the valley to the sound of the river gushing by below. Truly unbeatable if you want something special in Ubud.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,313)

Reviewed 20 February 2009

we have just arrived from a trip to Sumatra, Kalimantan,Java and Bali. Thanks for the memorable stay we had in your hotel. The pool villa was just great, spa services unforgettable, the staff was amazing and we had a lovely time there,even if it was raining all day.Nothing else to say except : terimakasih, thanks,moltes gràcies.I'll advise all my friends to visit this hotel and ourselves will be surely coming back in a future.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I stayed at the Maya for only 1 night on a work trip, but its a very nice hotel, when people think of hotels in Ubud they think 'stairs and hilly' Well the Maya is the opposite located central Ubud, with free shuttle every hour to Ubud Central its great. Rooms are nice, except none are pool view, but you can get a villa with your own private pool. The pool is amazing looks over the forest. And the resturant is very nice. Resort also has 2 gift shops, and are pretty well priced. Definitely recommend for couples/older couples/honeymooners. Not for families though.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2009

My family stayed there for one night during our trip to Bali. This is our first time we stayed at Maya. It turns out that one night wasn’t enough. We wish that we could come back there again. The hotel service was absolutely exclusive. The concierge staff even recognizes us from the first time we arrived there. The check in process was quite efficient. We stayed at Superior room. The room was huge with simple but stylist look. The bathroom has a big tub made by terrazzo. The best part of the hotel is on its landscapes. The hotel is located in the slope area near Ubud and bordered by Petanu River. It creates a dramatic hotel landscape. Personally, I like to trek around the hotel and plunge on one of two hotel pools. The breakfast was vary (maybe because there only few guests) but the service was excellent. Overall, I enjoyed everything there. Maya offers beautiful property with an excellent service. For me, Maya is the most valued hotel I’ve ever stayed at Bali.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at Maya Ubud with our two small children (3 & 8) over New Year 2008/09. We thought our pool villa compared favorably with the Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay. We prefer the hills of Ubud to the seaside.

Maya Ubud is in a fantastic location on a ridge between two rivers. You can explore the property via the various walking tracks...these can be steep and slippery in parts so take care with children. The villas are very private...we loved the outdoor shower and plunge pool.

On our first night we discovered we had an unwelcome visitor in the roof of our villa...a 'barking gecko'. We love wildlife and the natural surrounds of the villa were beautiful, but this was just too much. The gecko would 'bark' 5 or 6 times,incredibly loudly, every 15 minutes ALL night. We did not sleep, but optimistically hoped the gecko would move on and not bother us on the 2nd night. No such luck...it was closer (behind wardrobe) and worse on the 2nd night. We complained and staff were sent. The gecko could not be found, so the hotel upgraded us to a 2-bedroom suite with no 'barking gecko'. Much appreciated!

The other problem we had was being charged twice for our accommodation package. The hotel charged us upon booking via their website and then again on departure. They said they had no record of our payment via their website...but they still had our booking in place! It took a month of correspondence with the hotel and my credit card company to receive a refund on the initial payment which had been retained by the booking company in India! (resavenue). Apparently the hotel has had numerous problems with the booking engine on their website and are now in the process of switching companies.

Staff were generally friendly, but at times this seemed forced insincere...not uncommon in Bali we found.

Lastly, we loved the food provided at the various restaurants, although the New Year special event menus were overpriced (in USD). Accommodation also overpriced compared to similar in Bali, Phuket and elsewhere. Addition of 21% surcharge does not help and then conversion of bill from USD to rupiah at poor exchange rate is a scam (Indonesian Gov policy). But, price should not be a deterrent if you want quality experiences! Despite all of above mentioned we did enjoy this hotel and had a great stay. The children loved it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2008

I recently spent 2 weeks at Maya and I must sayit was the most relaxing, friendly and beautiful place to be. I went on my own and felt very safe and welcomed by all the very friendly staff.
I stayed in a Pool villa room which was very spacious, private and nicely decorated. I had a view over to lush green rice paddies.
The gardens of Maya are magnificent and there is a lovely "Nature walk" alongside the river which even has private "Resting Pavilions" where you can sit and read or meditate. Just watch out for sandflies in the evening - insect repellent is useful.
I did Yoga every morning, had wonderful breakfasts then often just lazed by the beautiful pools.
I must add special mention to the Spa at Maya which I went to most days (and sampled all the treatments on the menu). Each treatment was bliss. The rooms are open sided and perched over the river so all you can hear is the sound of the river flowing, birds and nature. It has to be the most exquisite spot for massages or facials that I have ever experienced. I higly recomend the massages and the frangipani bath. The therapist were all very good and consistent and just lovely.
I suggest going into town for meals (other than breakfast) as they are much cheaper and good quality in town. But it is a bit of a shock to go from the quiet realxation of Maya into the hustle and bustle of Ubud (which by Bali standards is very quiet!).
I'd also highly recomend the bicycle tours from Maya which are a great way to see the countryside and very informative with very friendly guides.
I'll definitely be going back as often as I can.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank Anne121
Reviewed 11 October 2008

When I was planning our first Bali trip, I listened to my Indonesian friends and changed my reservation from Nusa Dua to Ubud and Jimbaran. What a pleasant surprise Maya Ubud was!

Arriving at the hotel was a trip itself - Ubud is inland and far from the touristy areas of Kuta, Legian, etc, so arriving at night and going to Ubud means you get a taste of the local life - limited traffic, locals sitting out in the streets eating, chatting. Serveral roads had few street lamps and our taxi drivers even got lost when a religious procession blocked the main road, so we meandered through some rice fields, and finally arrived at our resort. It is set outside of the town of Ubud high on a hill between rice fields and river valley, completed with its own nature walk.

There were many things we were impressed, so I must start slow - first - the whole property is designed with one word - Care. It is reflected in the infinity edge pools that overlook flowing river below, the affordable flower baths in room, the western and japanese breakfast buffet that is included in the room and virtually two buffet in one, the ever caring staff - just such a sweet and neat place. What a great first impression to bali! We enjoyed this place way more than the big Intercontinental in Jimbaran.

The experience starts with the great breakfast the first thing in the day - although we almost missed half of it - the Japanese, or the Western portion is hidden behind a wall depends on where you were seated. They have all the juices you can think of in Bali - orange, mango, apple, Papaya, guava, even banana, They also given you Champagne for free to blend with the dazzling variety of juices to make your own mimosa mango mambo maga-sa-s that you want.

Then, take the free hourly hotel shuttle and head to the Ubud palace and market. One word of caution. the shuttle will pick you up but usually at 15 after the hour, even though the printed hour is 20.

Spend the afternoon at the nature walk down the slope, and then swim in the infinity edge pool that looks down to the river valley. You can also have the hotel car take you to a local Ubud spa for a cheap massage and scrub.

At night, use the $12 well and make use of the in-room milk and flower bath all set up in your own room to relax and warm up. This feature is not availalble in the bigger resorts in Jimbaran and Nusa Dua, and if available, no less than $25 a pop i hear.

HIring a car from an Ubud hotel is cheaper than the south island options. For the same 8 hour day, we paid about $75 USD and our friends in Jimbaran paid $150; Sure they had a Mercedes, but for the 35 MPH bumpy roads around the island, an airconditioned comfy roomy Toyota will do the same job. Our driver from Maya Ubud is Dewa Taman and he is so polite and sweet, and knowledgeable and told us everything from meaning of the dances to the time of the offerings to the volcano eruption stories. It was simply wonderful.

The fleet of staff is ever-smiling and sweet, and genuinely interested in their guests' welfares, from exchanges to designing daily tour routes, they are caring, enthusiastic and real (unlike the Jimbaran smiles that disappears way too fast sometimes). The hotel bar was excellent, try the drink called Bodyheat, local drink with pinapple juice, or One for Two, the honeymooner's version of local twist on Cranberry Vodka.

Afternoon tea is always free and everyone gets tea, coffee and three pieces of well-made dessert, usually a western style cake, a Japanese dessert, and somethng fresh. On the day we went the hazelnut cake of the day was excellent and melts on your tongue, and we had a really soft mochi ball and some fresh fruits.

Overall, we loved this place and my husband said "i could stay here a few more days!" LOL. We honestly loved everything about this hotel. A recommended place for anyone visiting Bali and want to stay in Ubud for a day or two in order to order the art-central of Bali and the northern volcano and lake, and rice fields.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RoamingPlanetSeattle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
Kamandalu Ubud
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Komaneka at Bisma
Komaneka at Bisma
#17 of 197 in Ubud

Been to Maya Ubud Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!