“Average at best” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Malaysia
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights with family.

My kids are pre-teens as there is not much to do in hotel. There is one pool and another new one being constructed. This a hotel better for holidaying couples.

Stayed in Ubud Villa which is sizable and upstairs unit has better views although rice fields were harvested. Can be noisy as lots of ducks in the rice fields nearby. Cleanliness could be better as towels looked old.

Hotel has nice grounds with a nice art gallery which sells very expensive pieces. Staff are friendly and helpful.

There are 2 restaurants. One near pool serves breakfast which is very average and portions small. The other restaurant is very well known in Bali for its crispy duck and sambal sauce. 2 Indonesian presidents have dined here. Staff told me that this year Luis Nani of Manchester United and Jason Morello also ate at this restaurant. Food is expensive.

There is not much for food and beverage around the hotel. So you need to take the shuttle to Ubud for cheaper meals. There is an excellent Mexican taco restaurant nearby.

Hotel is located 10 minutes by shuttle from centre of Ubud town. My observations is that most hotels are located outside and provide shuttle. This is not a negative as the town itself does not offer much. Shopping in town caters to tourist and food choice is average. There are 2 excellent art galleries which deserve visiting.

Hotel is located near elephant cave which is worth visiting and serves as a good base for visiting Kintamanis region (Mount Agung,Lake Batur) and Mas where there is lots of wood carving.

I would conclude that hotel did not live up to my expectations given price and reviews I read in trip advisor.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank BigDadd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

Absolutely beautiful surrounds with well manicured gardens and rice fields. Loved walking through the gardens in the evening with lanterns lit up and delicate orchids cascading down from branches above. A true sanctuary to relax in away from the hustle and bustle of central Ubud.

The beds were very comfortable, which was a pleasant surprise. I suffer from lower back problems and have always had trouble travelling through Asia as the beds are often quite firm. The beds at Tepi Sawah were perfect.

The staff were also very friendly and helpful in the restaurant, front desk and the drivers. The drivers were happy to pick us up from anywhere in central Ubud and even once picked up our shopping from us as there was not enough time for us to return to the resort before watching a performance. Only negatives of this service was timing. Sometimes we waited 40 mins - 1 hour to be taken somewhere or to be picked up. So if you need to be somewhere at a certain time, make sure you book your service in advance and leave time for delays. The other negative was that we had booked into a cooking class at Laka Leke, only 10 mins drive from the resort but on the otherside of the Monkey Forest to Ubud centre. The hotel wanted us to pay 50000 rupiah for this! We decided to walk from Ubud, which only took 10 mins.

The most dissapointing part of our stay was the plumbing. Our first night we stayed in a ground floor room. The shower head was situated above the bath and when standing in the bath it was only chest height (I am only 168 cm tall), so it made showering difficult. The next day we were upgraded to the first floor above our room. THe shower height was better in this room, but the plumbing was constantly blocked and there was a permanent smell of sewage in the bathroom. The bath didn't drain after having a shower, leaving the second person to shower standing in the dirt and suds of the previous person. he toilet did not flush and after several attempts from the staff to fix it, we determined not to use the toilet and to block the bath and sink with a plug to try to stop the smell of sewage in the room. We had to use the toilets by the pool which meant a 100 m walk to use the toilet at night and first thing in the morning.

One more minor detail was the sheets were stained and appeared dirty. We asked for our sheets to be changed but the new set had the same staining. This might be a Bali thing.

Despite the plumbing problems I would stay here again because of the comfortable beds, beautiful gardens and friendly staff. Just check the plumbing first and ask for a different room if it doesn't work!

Room Tip: Views from the first floor are beautiful and have a great balcony to relax on, but check the plumbin...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

We had a great time at Bebek Tepi Sawah and would stay here again. The room was beautiful. The breakfast great. The staff obliging and the free shuttle service excellent. Nothing was ever any problem. And the entire hotel grounds were pretty and romantic. The restaurant there is worth a try also. The pool was lovely.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

We took the garden villa, right by the pool, ground floor - no view at all. The room was spacious, very quiet and peaceful; the villas are comfortably spaced. The restaurant is famous for its bebek (duck) dishes, so the restaurants are very crowded during meal time, but a good thing is the restaurants are situated at the entrance area which is a distance from the villas - so you still can enjoy peace and quiet. The room had a weird smell, and the pillows smelt worse! I had to put a clean towel on top to cover the pillow. The hot water ran out when I tried to fill the tub and the tub was not even 1/5 filled. The bed was big and alright, but that's it. I won't come back here, I'm sure I can find a better place to stay for the same or even lower rate.

Do take note: don't take their sandals as souvenir. They charged us 75,000 a pair where the souvenir shop right in the hotel was only selling like 25,000.

Room Tip: Get the upper level room. Ground floor has no view at all.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at Babak Tepi Sawah for 4 days in October 2011 and we did like it, although for the price of 100 USD/night (incl taxes), I would not expect anything less. There were also a few shortcomings.
On the positive side, the room was very large, it includes a nice private patio and a has a nice big bathroom, but is all in all quite plain. The breakfast is very nice, they make the best butcher muesli I have ever tasted and the staff is lovely. The garden and pool area are gorgeous. And they have a very convenient free shuttle service to Ubud centre.
On the downside, they forgot to arrange for our airport pick up (which is not a big deal, because getting a taxi from the airport to Ubud is anyway cheaper that what they charge). The biggest issue was that during our stay there they were constructing a second pool, which meant that if you stayed around the breakfast area you were subjected to a lot of hammering and drilling from about 8 in the morning, which is not acceptable if you pay those room rates, and of course during the booking they did not warn you of this little detail that might have a rather big impact on your relaxing holiday. (Rooms at the edge of the property didn’t suffer from this sound nuisance all the time, but one still had to endure this during breakfast, which was bad enough.) Also, there’s only so much traditional Balinese music one can take, and its constant playing at the pool are can get a little annoying.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

My family and I have decided to spend our latest holiday closer to Ubud in Bali. We wanted to explore the Mount Batur and do a day of cycling in the paddy fields. We choose Tepi Sawah Villas because we wanted to be outside of the center of Ubud.

The hotel is located at 10 minutes drive from Ubud and a shuttle bus, free of charge, will take you to the Center of Ubud and pick you up under your request from 9:00 am till 10:00pm. Around the hotel, it is not very interesting but knowing the shuttle service is available, it is not too important.

Our villa called “Bituan” was located on the second floor allowing us to over look the paddy fields. If you choose a first floor villa, it is surrounded by a wall providing you some privacy but you will not enjoy the beautiful view. The room was clean but a good layer of paint would have helped to look a bit better. The beds were very comfortable and we were able to sleep well.The hotel staff was very nice, polite and efficient.

The breakfasts were excellent and the menu offered a wide variety of choices. The pool was small, clean and beautiful. They were expanding during our stay building a new pool but the noise was kept at a minimal volume to not disturb the guests.
The gardens were peaceful and we had enjoyed two evening meals at the main restaurant. The food was excellent, the staff very kind and the atmosphere was extremely relaxing.

We were not disturbed by mosquitoes as the hotel pay good attention to provide insect repellent in the room, terrace and at the restaurant.
When we were there, the Spa was not opened and the only way you could get a massage was in your room.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Tepi Sawah Villas and if you are looking at a mid-range hotel close to Ubud, this might be the one!

Mylene & family

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Devonport, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

I chose this hotel specifically as it was advertised as a spa, and I had planned a holiday which involved lots of pampering of myself after a busy couple of years. When I arrived, I found out that it does not have a spa, although they could arrange in room massages. I was not comfortable with this. I ended up having a massage in Ubud, but would have like to avail myself of more 'spa' services inhouse.

The hotel itself is located a fair distance from Ubud (about 10 minutes drive), again something I wasn't expecting, although they do provide a shuttle service.

I stayed in the 'Ubud" room. The room was very large and quite nice, except there were drip marks all around the toilet in the bathroom, which I suspect hadn't been mopped. I tried not to think about what they were! The hot water in the rain shower did not work the first night I was there, but that was fixed the next day. The shower was a nice experience though. I also had a lovely balcony room which overlooked the rice fields.

Due to its location, it was difficult to eat out at night, so I relied on the menu at the restaurant. This was adequate and varied for a short stay, and in keeping with Bali prices, very reasonable.

On one occasion I ordered a caffe latte which arrived and was very sweet. I suspected it was made with a liqueur, and when I asked about it, they showed me some syrup that they had made it with. It tasted awful and was undrinkable, and I told them that it is not how a caffe latte is made. Even though I complained, I was still charged for it, but given it was only about A$2, I didn't worry too much.

Overall, with the exception of a couple of staff, they weren't overly friendly or helpful - not in keeping with most Balinese hospitality staff.

The breakfasts which were included in my room rate were more than adequate with a choice of options. The mixed fruit juice was great.

Overall, even though I didn't get to stay at a 'spa' facility, and was a long way from town, it was pretty good.

Room Tip: An upstairs room with a balcony gives great views over the rice fields and beyond.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank fairywings2507
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
KajaNe Mua Private Villa & Mansion
Alaya Resort Ubud
Alaya Resort Ubud
#46 of 192 in Ubud
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,693 reviews

Been to Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!