“Our 4th visit and better than ever”

Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I have noticed Tepi Sawah slipping in the TA rankings (#43), so thought I'd check it out and do another review as we have not stayed here for over a year. We are here now for our 4th visit. All I can say is that it is better than ever and while I know that TA tries to keep their reviews genuine you DO have to read the reviews because I'm sure some get through.
The Peliatan suite for US$135 per nite is sensational, only $35 extra from the usual rooms. You get a giant room, huge private garden with day bed, giant spa, giant room, and a bathroom that would fit a whole family in. But I can't portray the wonderful Balinese feel of either the suite or the grounds itself except that is is truly Balinese in the best possible way. If this were in Kuta or Seminyak you'd be paying $400+.
As for the restaurant I also noted some negative reviews. We are real foodies and to be sure Bridges in Ubud is our favourite in Bali, but the attached restaurant to Tepi Sawah is very popular and was booked out (100+seats) for lunch by mostly locals. So, (sherlock holmes here) we deduced that we should order the local fare that night. Yep it was out of this world so I guess give the western food a miss. On the inside cover of the menu are two signature dishes: Smoked duck Bali/sambal style and smoked chicken Bali/sambal style. Go no further, these are as good as anything you will get in Bali. Note however the sambal sauces on the side are very hot, but tasty so take care with them. We will walk back there tonight and order exactly those same dishes so no point commenting on the other offerings on the menu, though in past years we have had some and they ranged from OK to good. Sometimes it's not where you eat but what you order!
Also for breakfast their banana pancakes on the "Tepi Sawah" menu are superb so we haven't tried the western food. When in Rome.....
Bottom line is that the Tepi Sawah is our equal favourite resort in Asia along with the Montra In Koh Samui, Thailand, for local style accommodation with space, luxury, laid back service, quiet and good food. As traditional Balinese culture lovers we would not trade our stay at Tepi Sawah for any 5 star-on-the-beach. (Yes we've tried a few over the years).

Room Tip: Try for the Peliatan Villa near the big pool. If you select one of the normal rooms make sure, if t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank passdeplate

Reviewed 4 October 2012

We booked Tepi Sawah through a friend's recommendation and it did not disappoint. It was about $90 USD a night for the Batuan villa, which was spacious and clean. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the hotel grounds were beautiful with all the native stone statues and walkways. There were 2 small pools, both of which were quite different from each other.

The free breakfast was fantastic, with your choice of egg (any way - poached, Benedict, fried...etc.) as well as a selection of fruit, smoothies, breads (including croissants and French toast), coffee or tea. The concierge helped us book all of our activities, which included mountain biking and a hike up mount batur. From our research, the prices were fair. The villas are about a 10-15 minute drive from Ubud town centre. Unlike some other resorts, Tepi Sawah takes guests into town whenever they ask as opposed to forcing us into a shuttle schedule; they were very flexible. Restaurant closes at 10PM, so please make sure you eat before heading in for th night as there is no 24 hour menu or late places right outside the hotel. The hotel is on a pretty quiet street.

All that being said, we didn't spend too much time in the room over our 3 night stay. The room wasn't particularly bright during the daytime. Also, to my point about a good value, please do not expect the likes of a room that goes for more than $90 a night. I would never take a bath in the tiled bathtub nor do I believe any of the room furnishings were of a quality better than Ikea. With what I paid, I was extremely happy.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This is my second stay at Tepi Sawah the last time we were there was in 2008. We got the new adjoining rooms and it was nice... enough. Nothing to complain about, they were clean comfortable rooms.

What I liked - clean, comfortable. Good enough service, free shuttle service because they are a bit far from the main area, the much improved breakfast, I still love the landscaping; flowers, plants, padi fields, love love love. They even have a new pool but we kinda like the old one a bit more. The sofa bed made for a comfie bed for my 3 year old but their baby cot was pretty nasty and my 1.5 year old pretty much bunked in with us. My parents in laws were in the adjoining room.

BUT what I didn't like - the mosquito net; esp when you don't use it and it gets in your face, kinda gross. The lack of personal touches compared with their older units (eg, paintings, proper knobs for the door etc). The toilet was rather tiny too compared to the older 'villas' and they toilet seat was behind the door like they forgot about it and then added it in at the last minute. The shower/ tub took ages to drain as well. Again the yucky baby cot.

I was just not very impressed and I didn't even bother to take a pictures of the room!

For the price, I guess it's alright but after this, I won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Really enjoyed my recent stay in Campuhan Villa. Service was great, hospitality a top notch, delicious food during whole stay. Rooms are spacious and very private. If you looking for few nights stay in Ubud, this one is just the right option for couples, family, friends or individuals. Highly recommend and for sure I want to back there one day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slava D
Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 7 days. First room smelled horrid so staff quickly moved us to the teges villa next to new pool. Room clean and balcony with great views over the rice fields. Lovely breakfasts downstairs and restaurant pretty good too. Used the shuttle service to go to town everyday. Staff very professional and quick to sort out any issues including shutting down a very noisy kareoake party in the restaurant one evening that threatened to spoil our stay. Spa services are worth trying as the staff are lovely and prices reasonable. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a night and was very surprised by the lovely rooms..
Very basic but very clean and quiet..
It was very traditional Balinese style..
Cocktails were cheap but the cakes were not that tasty at all. We ordered the Black Ruasian and Tiramisu and it tasted stale..
I would stay here again but not eat there..
It was about 10 min from the main shopping strip..

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

Old bugs smashed onto the wall...ew. Dirty brown light switches...ew. Dirty brown mosquito nets surrounding your bed as you sleep...ew. Running dirty toilet in dark dungeon-like bathroom...ew. Bathroom floors make you want to wear shoes 24/7. Check in was horrendous, I had an anxiety attack at the desk because he was taking soooo long to figure out our online reservation and doing all this unnecessary stuff, quite rudely to be honest, as we had to wait and watch him. Worst place we have stayed so far in Bali, not worth it to be honest. So many nicer places to stay here in Ubud for the same price range. Ugh... I don't want to have to go back to my hotel room :/ Never again...

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank LexiLove00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
1 mi away
Alaya Resort Ubud
#44 of 199 in Ubud
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa

Been to Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!