“Truly balinese and beautiful”

Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Odessa
“Truly balinese and beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

This March at the height of the World Financial Crisis I decided to find a good investment for saved money and invested them into my trip to Bali. Having carefully learnt about all areas of Bali, I came to the conclusion that Ubud is the most suitable place for me. So I start looking for a small villa hotel and run across Tepi Sawah hotel. The translation from Balinese is <behind the rice field>. We spent there 10 nights and I must tell you I was highly pleased though I am a very hard-to-please customer. So let me share with you my impression:
The hotel is located in a very quiet area at about 10 min drive from the center of Ubud. It is built in truly Balinese style. It has beautiful garden and pool. The service is perfect. Staff is very very friendly and attentive to you. They all remembered my name what I find to be a good thing. I mentioned above that the hotel is located a little far from centre, actually you will never experience a problem with it because there is a free shuttle service to Ubud and its areas from 9.00 till 22.00.
We stayed at Padang Tegal upper room. It has enough space, beautiful balcony with garden view. Its marble bathroom also deserves attention. The room is perfectly cleaned twice a day. There were some disadvantages but they did not spoil the positive impression. Curtains and bed curtains were dirty and full of dead insects of many species. There was no satellite television. Of course I came there not to watch TV, but without Euronews, BBC or Deutsche Welle it was difficult for me as I used to be always well informed about the current situation in the world even being on vacation.
Also I was little disappointed with breakfast. It is how to say very poor for a man like me, and the variety is also small: American breakfast (Eggs, Toasts, Ham, Tea, Juice), Indonesian (rice, noodles) but for me it was impossible to eat such kind of food in the morning, and Tepi Sawah style (fried bananas and cornflakes). As I stayed there for 10 days, I could not now even look on eggs, ham, bananas and cornflakes) Anyway, it could be more various.
So this hotel is a perfect place for a honeymoon, calm pastime, spa, relax. I would definitely advise it to my friends. Moreover, I will spend there my honeymoon next year.

• Stayed March 2009
3 Thank Odessit_Dima

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Up Country Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2009

My Thai wife and I celebrated our 2nd honeymoon at the Tepi Sawah near Ubud Bali in February 2009. We have been guests at over three dozen different hotels in Thailand and Vietnam in the past five years. The QUIET location of this beautiful property is Romantic without being "stuffy". Serious money and thought was included in the design of the hotel rooms and the furnishings such as bedding, pillows, sinks, plumbing fixtures, furniture, air conditioning units (very quiet), even the Toto quiet toilets and marble bathtubs. Plenty of clean hot water in both the sink and shower/tub. The three men who changed our bedding and cleaned the room TWICE a day were polite and respectful. A MAJOR bonus to this professional property is the free transportation to UBUD and other places nearby in the modern hotel SENSIBLY SIZED Suzuki mini van. No "hustle" for tips by any staff members. Breakfast was DELICIOUS and the wait staff were very good in explaining food items to my Thai wife. She only had eaten Thai food, but she very much enjoyed the Indonesian food prepared at the complementary breakfast. You had a wide selection of different well prepared breakfast foods to select from. We used room service one evening and it was prompt, delicious and priced to hotel standards. The afternoon Tea or coffee, with pastry might be fattening, but certainly was a nice treat. The hotel pool was well maintained, reading area stocked with good books and magazines and the hotel garden like grounds very well maintained. The hotel had some "google problems" with the "web site" so we booked through a discount travel agency in Bali without any problems. The bedding is top quality, in room soaps, shampoos fine and towels were clean, new and spotless. The hotel front desk staff were fluent in English, all staff very professional. The price quoted for a taxi to the airport was a tad higher than I found via trip advisor recommendations. This is the ONLY hotel my wife and I were sad to LEAVE, had we not already paid for another booking at a beach area hotel we would have canceled the other booking and gladly stayed longer at the Tepi Sawah Villa.
There are interesting things on the nearby roads, but not "crazy tourist" hustle such as the properties on Monkey Forest Road. The free on demand shuttle service was handy, but we were so glad we booked this hotel instead of a place on Monkey Forest Road. The on property Art Gallery was interesting and the hotel public restaurant has a great view. We ate our breakfast meals at the "hotel guest restaurant". My wife raves about this hotel and we highly recommend it for a romantic get away. It could also be a good place for families, not singles who want the "Kuta Beach" vibe. I looked at an even less expensive room and it also had a view of the real rice fields and was a comfortable size with good furnishings. I did not see a lobby computer, but that was not a priority this one hotel visit. The exterior night lighting was suitable and safe. We very much enjoyed our three nights at the Tepi Sawah. You could spend a lot more money in Bali on a hotel, but if a lush location with excellent furnishings (modern a/c, plumbing, bedding), top notch service, is your priority this place is a screaming deal.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

Our flight arrived about 11pm plus and the driver was waiting for us. Check-in was hassle free. We stayed for 2 nights which is a pity. Excellent King size bed which my wife loved it. (Very Balinese)

Managed to swim at the small pool and snacks were provided too. Breakfast was quite good with fruit juice. (Included with the stay) View of the padi rice was partly obstructed because we stayed on the 1st floor. There is Wi-Fi too at the breakfast place near the pool. Since we stayed just beside the pool, we are able to utilise it without stepping out of the room.

Tepi Sawah is kinda far from the main street but the hotel does provide the free shuttle ride to any place within Ubud. (Excellent service!!!!) Only realised that the place existed due to the famous pork rib, which grew from a restarant to a hotel (Don't quote because this is what my hired driver told me on the last day of my trip)

The farmer will make some noise early in the morning and evening to scare the birds away coz it is nearing harvesting period. Was woken up even i am not a light sleeper.

Provided some pictures so that those interested can consider this lovely place. Great place!!!

1 Thank nagamisan
guam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

My boyfriend and I arrived on a late night flight and were greeted with no problems or waiting by our driver. I made the arrangements for the hotel with balibagus.com which I had used on a previous trip to Bali and had no problems at all. Very reliable service. Check in was quick and easy, the room was on the first floor which was fine until the second night, when a noisy guest checked into the room above us in the middle of the night and continued stomp around and drag her chairs back and forth. I highly recommend you ask for the top floor rooms, they might even have had a nice view from up there as well. Our room was clean, air-conditioned and simple, only issue was the doors were two sliding glass doors right across the front of the bed, so we had to keep the curtains drawn for privacy. The doors also didn't have a very secure locks and had about 3 inches off the ground. So early the first morning I was greeted by little frog's hopping past on the floor - no problem with that just opened the back door and let them find themselves out! Overall, the staff was friendly if not a little reserved and quiet. Shuttle service was available whenever we needed to go into central Ubud. The walk however is kind of long with noisy traffic and dusty sidewalks. We underestimated how far we really were from Jalan Hanoman. We had breakfast every morning, fresh fruit juices were great, American breakfast - so-so; the restaurant was also good. The only disappointment was that we didn't have a view, which was a plus on the previous stay in Ubud, so definitely ask for that upper floor suite.

• Liked — clean and modern rooms
  • Disliked — location alittle off for quick easy access to downtown
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank meclovesbali
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

Tepi Sawah gave us a full memorable holidays during our vacation in BALI
A very warm welcoming upon our arrival, with the nicest welcome drink that we ever had and a cold towel that refreshing us after a long trip by flight and a long jurney from airport to the villas.

The room was ready when we came and is very clean, decorated very details by flower on the bed, bath room, and the cake with bali cofee (afternoon tea) as we arrive at arround 4.30 PM made the service perfect...

A very beautiful set up swimming pool that made us never want to leave the hotel and a tropical garden that maintain very well made the villas look like a heaven

Instead that thing, the gallery which just behind the villas also very wonderful with so many colection of the traditional paintings and statues
It is good for those that like to see arts and people that like to do some culture actifities of painting class that they provide for the guest

We never going out for food as the restaurant already provide a very nice food
The only one thing is the white and brown bread for breakfast that we had, is less than what we expect which is not nice
Try the banana pan cake as our favorite

Even though the location is a bit far from the center of the town, but it is doesn't matter as the shutle is always ready to drop and pick us up from the center of UBUD at ANY TIME
(This is the best service that I think other hotels can not provide)

Special thanks to Made Karda and Gusti that always help us for every things that we need and for all of the information

We definetly recomend this hotel
Value for money, but do not ever expect more, like a 5 star hotel which is not at their everage rates

• Liked — smile and service of the staff
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ryoma82
Jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

I stayed in Tepi Sawah with my fiancee for 3 nights. Made our booking through the yahoo messenger. When we checked in (at 2 PM), we were informed that our room was still unavailable since the guests staying there were engaged in a tour somewhere. Quite a dissapointment, I must say. But, after 10 min or so, the staff offered us to use the Ubud Villa until our room was ready, so we were not that disappointed. Ubud Villa is superb! No doubt, it is more expensive than the room we booked. Ubud Villa is big, with huge bed and humongous bathroom! It has separated shower chamber and bathtub (large stone tub!) After 2 hour, the staff phoned us and said that our room was ready, so we moved to our Taman Villa room (Taman 101). It was on the first floor, opposite the hotel's restaurant (Bale Banjar restaurant, not the Tepi Sawah restaurant). The bathroom, although not as big as Ubud Villa's, was lovely, spacious, and clean. And there were flowers in the tub..so nice of them! Great tub, by the way!

Oh, and there's this one day when we overslept and we thought we had missed breakfast (since it's already 10.30 AM WITA), but one of the staff called our room and offered us to have our breakfast in our room! Very thoughtful of him!

Positive points:
- Lovely and crispy clean room
- Beautiful and serene garden and swimming pool

Several drawbacks though:
- We never received our cold towels
- On the first day when we asked whether the breakfast could be served at our terrace through phone, without further confirmation, the front desk staff said it was not doable. But the second day, when I got curious and approached the staff in Bale Banjar restaurant, he happily said OK!
- The water used to flush the toilet was stinky! Had a very disgusting odor.
- The first time I opened the shampoo's bottle, it was so stinky! I dare not use it, and I poured the whole liquid to the wash basin so that it would be replaced the next day. To my relief, the replacement smelt good, which means that the first one was either outdated, or somehow spoiled.
- Breakfast was so so, if not boring..croissant served was always soggy. The diced potatoes were just nice sometimes; tender, and delicious the first day, but were plain and not as tender on the second day. And it was of small portion. The menu was always the same...after 2 days, you would probably be bored.

• Liked — The tub (The best I have ever found) and the room's interior
  • Disliked — The smell from the water used to flush the toilet, and breakfast had limited choices
4 Thank monastella
South Shields, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2008

Where do I start... My Husband and I stayed at Tepi Sawah for 5 days in September, we had traveled round Bali and the Gili Islands and this was the final part of our stay.

The grounds of the hotel are great, beautiful flowers and plants, the pool was fantastic but that was it. Everything else was disgusting, the towels in our room were dirty, every single one. We stayed in the Padang Tegal Villa, which we were told had views of the rice field which it did not!! The room when we arrived looked nice and clean but when we started to settle in we noticed how dirty it was, each corner was full of muck and beside the bed was old toe nail clippings, which stayed for the full duration no matter how much they 'cleaned.' We had planned to eat in the hotels restaurant one night but at 7pm the hotel staff phoned to say that it was closed as was room service, so we had no prior notice. The next night when the restaurant was reopened we got room service, which gave me food poisoning for the next couple of days.

The hotel provides a car to go back the airport (at a very steep price) on leaving, we were told directly that it was the car used to go back and forth to the centre of Ubud which we were happy about because it was very comfortable even at that price, but when it was time to go it turns out the car was just a normal taxi. So if anyone is planning to go to Tepi Sawah DO NOT get the hotel transport to leave as it is 3 times the price of a normal taxi.

Over all it was a very poor end to an amazing holiday but we still love bali!!!

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Everything else
10 Thank lisaj1984
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
KajaNe Mua Private Villa & Mansion
Alaya Resort Ubud
Alaya Resort Ubud
#45 of 195 in Ubud
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,755 reviews

Been to Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!