“Lovely Bali Oasis”

Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We have just returned from staying at the 'Tepi Sawah' a truly relaxing oasis in Ubud. I can't speak highly enough about the staff, who were always there to help and assist you in any way. Food in the resturant was of a high standard. Our room was spacious with its own privaye balcony. As it is not within walking distance to shops and Ubud center a shuttle bus (car) is provided and we found this very convenient. They are in the process of building 12 new villas with new pool. So a tip from us is to ask for a new villa with rice field views, and if you do not like stairs ask for a ground floor villa.
Thankyou Norman, Made, Koman, Wayan (drivers 1 & 2) & Wayan (breakfast)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 December 2010

I love the Tepi Sawah! I was in Indonesia for 2 weeks and this was the best hotel I stayed at. Even if you don't stay here, come for food and enjoy the grounds. I had breakfast and lunch here and the food is really good. I also hear it has one of the best duck dishes in Ubud.

I came to Bali for a friends wedding at a private villa in Seminyak and was so jealous that she got to stay at the villa. The Tepi Sawah gave me a taste of the good life. I didn't have access to servants and not everything was made of marble but this place is truly beautiful. The grounds are gorgeous with its stone buildings, moss covered statues, vine covered walls, fountains and relaxing pool area. Every inch of the place is designed to make you feel like you're staying in an Balinese palace.

I did take advantage of the pool. It's small but the whole place isn't that large so it was barely used. There's also a covered cabana and decorative stone wall that adds to the charm of the whole place.

My room was just as awesome with wood furniture and marble bath (which had flowers floating in it). Beds are comfortable but not spectacular. It also had a stone terrace (w/ beautiful landscaping) facing the rice fields. One evening I sat on the terrace watching fire flies in the fields.When I was there a year ago it looked like there was another hotel being built so I'm not sure how long this pastoral view will be around.

Right now it's pretty secluded, which means it's a distance from downtown Ubud but the hotel provides shuttle service whenever you want to as long as there's a vehicle available. It does have limited hours however. I did not have a problem w/ this b/c there are taxis in town that can take you to the hotel if you stay out late.

The staff is also wonderful. It's mostly young men - cute young men - who are super friendly and go out of their way to make your stay wonderful. When I woke up too late from a nap to grab dinner at the hotel, they called around to find a restaurant that was still open and serving the famous Bali roast duck AND drove me to the restaurant.

I haven't traveled a ton and I'm usually a budget traveler, but I splurged this time and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I ever get to go back to Bali and Ubud, I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Inx611
Reviewed 29 November 2010

When we arrived about half past midnight, for our 6 night stay, the staff was attentive and ready to check us in. After getting to our room (one of the Taman Villas) we were a little displeased to find that the floor was filthy. Then we saw a cockroach run behind the armoire. I understand that they live well in the tropics so I dismissed it and figured we'd worry about it in the morning. Not long after I heard a bird flapping sort of noise coming from the television and upon further inspection, I found a slew of the huge things hanging out in the mini-bar and under the TV. The staff offered to put us in the suite next door for the night until they could clean and then spray. The next morning the front desk woke us up and asked us to leave the room we had used for the night so they could prepare it for the next guests. At this point I really wanted to leave but my husband liked the place despite the troubles and suggested we give them one more opportunity to make things right. They put us in another Taman villa which was clean and cockroach free and they did it with a wonderful apology and a smile.

The villa was in good enough condition and had comfortable beds, hot water, nice sitting area, office, large bathroom and a wonderful patio. The details were not attended to but were insignificant to me: all the art on the wall is crooked and there are many areas that need painting.

The resort itself is wonderfully landscaped and the pool was great. Breakfast every morning was well prepared and tasty. The hotel shuttle was reliable when we pre-arranged pickups for after some performances in town. The onsite restaurant was always delicious!

On our last night we once again had a bit of troubles in the room when we discovered a large rat scratching and scraping from behind the television. We called down to the front desk and they promptly came and took care of it. For the price we paid I do think the pest problem was a little too much. We weren’t offered anything for the inconveniences so perhaps this is just a common problem.

Without the creepy crawly issues it would have been a perfect stay.

1  Thank thattravelgirl76
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Stayed at the Tepi Sawah Villas (Taman VIlla No 201) in October for 2N and at the end of it was regretting the fact that I couldn't stay longer. Had arranged for a pickup from the airport and the pickup person was standing with a placard right on time. However some confusion for another pickup vehicle for another couple led to them travelling with us. The hotel actually waived off half the cost of the vehicle rental as the second couple was also travelling with us, and that too without us mentioning anything about it

The room was beautiful with a nice poster bed and a balcony which overlooks the pool. The hotel grounds have a lot of plants and because the hotel is outside the main town, it is very peaceful. The balcony has a small table and two chairs to sit and enjoy your evening coffee. The breakfast offered by the hotel was really good and the fresh juice was the highlight of the day.

We also tried out the restaurant at the hotel for dinner one night and were not disappointed. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. The service was great and the front desk also helped us out with a adapter for our camera. The free shuttle service provided to Ubud town was great and the shuttle was always on time and we never had to call more than once.

The pool is decently sized and you can lounge around in the afternoon. The day bed next to the lounge was also a nice place to hang out with a book. Will definitely go to Ubud again ... loved it so much more than the hustle/bustle of Kuta.

The only downside is that there is no Spa here. They are in the process of building one, but for the time being, you will have to check out the options outside the hotel

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KetanMohile
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We stayed here for the first three days of our Bali stay, before moving to a beach location, and found the Tepi Sawah a delight. It is very low-key and unassuming so it takes a couple of days to really appreciate how great it is. The gardens are beautiful with mossy statutes and walls set amongst orchids and flowering trees. Our Batuan villa was a twin room (the only one available when we booked) with a huge wooden bedstead with two single mattresses on which could be pushed together. There was also a sofa in the room. A dressing area with wardrobe, led to the good-size bathroom. The little private patio and garden in front of the villa overlooked a rice paddy and a mosquito coil was supplied each evening when the beds were turned down. The pool area is lovely with a cosy, private feel. The meals were not exceptional but were enjoyable and incredible value. All the staff were friendly and attentive and the shuttle transport to Ubud was efficient and comfortable - making being out of town no problem at all. Nothing was any trouble for anyone and the atmosphere was very calm and easy-going. One small suggestion would be to supply a rubber mat in the bath. It was semi-sunken with shower over and a wide marble surround to step over. In getting in the shower, I slipped and did some serious damage to my face. In spite of that, we'd certainly recommend the hotel if you like your comforts but not the impersonality of some hotels in this price range. It has a homely feel, unpretentious and relaxed. Check out the art gallery here too - it surpisingly well stocked with old and modern local paintings, sculptures and wood carvings in a maze of different rooms.

1  Thank tricia_provence
Reviewed 12 November 2010

I stayed in Tepi Saweh for 6 nights, cannot find a fault, The staff were all extremely attentive and friendly, rooms are spacious and modern, are cleaned twice a day and mosquito coils / tabs fitted at sundown, any issues were dealt with immediately (the only issue we encountered was running out of hot water and they changed a tank within 10 minutes).

The grounds at Tepi Saweh are wonderful, they are constantly looking after countless trees and plants and flowers to maintain it, and it shows. It's an extremely peaceful environment and fantastic for garden lovers. Lots of little touches such as fresh flowers behind the ears of each and every statue throughout the grounds. Lovely pool, enough loungers to go around (and swings and rocking chairs!)

Breakfast is varied with a selection of american, continental and indonesian breakfast choices each with a decent variety of options. Do try the avocado juice!

The only slight drawback is the location, however in terms of peace this is perhaps a blessing, and the free shuttle service up until 10pm deals with any concerns about accessing Ubud centre. We never had to wait for more than 10 minutes for a shuttle and usually there was one available immediately. The shuttle was also fine with taking and collecting us from specific places, rather than a standard drop into a fixed location as I;ve experienced with other hotels.

All in all I wholeheartedly recommend this place, especially to couples and those seeking total relaxation in a beautiful and peaceful environment.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

My husband and I were in Ubud recently and we stayed in Tepi Sawah. Everything in Tepi Sawah was great except for the dated rooms. The staffs were really friendly and they go an extra mile to keep everyone happy. We were looking for some coins for my father in law's collection and the front desk guys were more than willing to assists. One evening at the restaurant, there were two music playing simultaneously, the live gamelan and the music from the player. We mentioned to the staff and they turned off the music player to suit us. I think service wise, these guys are second to none. The room service was quick, the bfast was great and the shuttle was amazing. Just give them a buzz from town and they will be there in no time. Try their ayam panggang tepi sawah! You will not regret it!

I am already missing Tepi Sawah. Kudos guys! See you again!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
1 mi away
Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa
Alaya Resort Ubud
Alaya Resort Ubud
#43 of 198 in Ubud

Been to Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!