“Beautiful surroundings, wonderful staff”

Suly Resort Yoga and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful surroundings, wonderful staff”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Our family stayed at Suly recently and had such a fantastic time. We were in the family rooms, two adjoining rooms accommodating 5 people altogether.
Suly has a very welcome feeling, not your typical place to stay. Walking up the entrance with the lit candles in the walls marked the beginning of a special stay where every little detail counts, from local flower arrangements on the beds to help with phone card purchases. The staff met all our requests with willingness and smiles, taking time to organise things for us.
With the school on the premises we could enjoy yoga classes with the students, and their performing of singing and dancing in the Balinese style. It added so much to the experience for my children.
The food in the restaurant was delightful, among the best we had in Bali, although the menu didn't have as many options as we would like. On some days, there was a gorgeous buffet breakfast for guests. Everything was fresh and the staff were attentive without imposing.
It was great to see the permaculture garden and wander the manicured grounds and neighbouring rice paddies in the mornings - lots of the activity and more greetings and smiles from all we passed, students and staff.
In the rooms the furniture was traditional style, large and comfortable, as were the rooms themselves, plenty of space for all of us, and everything working (wifi a bit busy at times). The bathrooms could do with updating soon, but the philosophy of Suly and the warmth we experienced more than made up for the lack of fancy tubs and modern marble sinks.
We would love to return to this blissful part of Ubud

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I have been fortunate to visit Suly Resort 4 times in the last 4 months and have to say that in all my travels I have not found such genuine warmth and hospitality anywhere else in the world.
The Resort is staffed and run mainly by the Suly Hospitality Students who live on site. This fact actually contributes dynamically to the uniqueness of the hotel. Please access the Suly Resort Yoga and Spa website to see all the wonderful activities that are available to make your holiday or business trip an unforgettable and uplifting experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a Rice Paddy View Room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
England
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed for 3 nights after a chaotic few days in Seminyak. When you first arrive you can't see the main hotel as the students building is at the front, around a corner and up the stairs and you feel like you're visiting a temple. The staff greeted us very warmly and their English was impeccable. The grounds are beautiful, with traditional buildings housing the restaurant, small bar and yoga studio. A wonder through the peaceful and serene gardens past the spa and our accommodation was furthest away from reception with rice field views. It felt a bit like student halls but was perfectly adequate for a couple who'd rather spend our money on eating, drinking and shopping! The bathroom was tiny and a bit stinky but it was cleaned everyday by the wonderful housekeepers. Our favourite spot was by the new pool which is literally in the rice fields, it rained a bit whilst we were there but we found the raised platform with a roof a perfect shelter and so peaceful. The spa therapists were lovely and did their best to accommodate us but the spa itself could do with new equipment, the beds were old and worn and I definitely would not get in that bath! If you're looking for 5 star this is not the place for you but if you're on a budget I would certainly recommend it. Approx 10 mins to monkey forest on a motor bike.

• Stayed May 2013
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 May 2013

The Suly resort has such a great atmosphere as soon as you arrive. The cause behind the whole resort and ashram (located as you drive in) is absolutely amazing. The Global Children have set up a school teaching underprivileged Balinese students hospitality, sustainability and entrepreneurship. Every single student was so well presented and served me better then almost any where I have ever been.

I would really recommend going on a Sunday, as this is the day where the students get to put there skills to practice and offer a range of free activities. From making offerings, to yoga, to kirtan, to playing the traditional musical instruments, to dance classes. All free. And I had a delicious lunch for $2 plus a coconut, all prepared by the students.

It's such a friendly and breath taking place, I highly recommend it to anyone passing through. I know I'll be back :)

Room Tip: I drove past it a few times, but its got huge black stones and colourful flags at the entrance. Just...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Carmen G
Beechwood, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I was very excited to visit Suly as I had had such a good recommendation from a family friend, however was very disappointed with first impressions. We had a bungalow to ourselves. On inspection the shower wall was smeared with I am not quite sure, the shower tap hanging half off, no shower curtain, and a sign on the bathroom door that stated 'for our own safety please lock bathroom door before sleeping'. Having said this however, when I talked to the staff the next day they upgraded us to a newer complex of rooms that were very clean and modern, and overlooked the pool. If I had this room first off I would have been much more comfortable with the resort. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very basic, however there are some great warang's in Ubud- inparticular the Melting Wok, that are very close by. The concept of what they are doing at Suly is heart warming, and this needs to be taken into consideration when staying there.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the newer complex next to pool Eat evening meals out in Ubud
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 16 April 2013

In the beginning of April 2013, My students and I traveled to Bali from South Jakarta. There were 8 students aged 10-11 including 5 adults. We arrived at Suly around 3 pm. When I entered it at the first time, I could feel the atmosphere of Balinese Culture. It smelled fresh and green since the plants are neatly planted. We could see the view of paddy field from the swimming pool and from the window of our room. It was so nice. In the afternoon, I accompanied my kids swimming. They enjoyed swimming very much while seeing the fabulous view. On the next day, after trekking on the paddy field, the kids got cooking lesson (one of traditional food, Klepon) and planting paddy. During planting, they were having fun playing on the mud. On the same day, composting was also part of the kids' activities. Every single moment was very memorable. I couldn't forget when all of the kids said that they wanted to stay and not go back to Jakarta.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 April 2013

When I travel, it was always to sample the local delicacies and to experience the local culture. One can certainly immerse in the local culture right here at Suly Resort - with the Balinese architecture and students who put on a cultural show.

I also find myself having the exclusive use of the two swimming pools on the two occasion when I swam. The staff / students were friendly and attentive, although they may not be fluent in spoken English.

I met a Taiwanese Guru while at Suly and had a few tips on anger and stress management. The room was comfortable and I woke up to the serene surrounding outside my room's balcony, with paddi fields and bird songs welcoming the day.

As for local delicacies, I found it right next door with its barbeque ribs and satay. Just 5 minutes walk away is the Babi Guling which is one of the popular must-try. The resort also provided transport to Ubud Centre where streets of shopping, cafes and eateries await me.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JessicaTT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
Ubud Bungalow
Bakung Ubud Resort and Villa
Alam Sembuwuk Resort
Alam Sembuwuk Resort
#96 of 198 in Ubud

Been to Suly Resort Yoga and Spa? Share your experiences!