“Beautiful hotel and great new spa”

The Greenway Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shurdington
Belbroughton
“Beautiful hotel and great new spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

We wanted to use up some airmiles we had left and chose to come hear,and what a great choice .A faultless three nights ,very friendly staff amazing rooms beautifully decorated we would def go again Eden group of hotels well done !

• Stayed November 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed here recently to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I had been looking for a combination of characterful hotel with spa facilities, and the Greenway fitted the bill perfectly. Our room (a junior suite) was bright and airy, very well maintained, with a spacious bathroom. We had lovely views over the gardens and countryside. All the public rooms were stylishly decorated and had the most sumptuous curtains I've ever seen! On the first night we ate in the informal restaurant where the food was good but, being the only people in there, it did lack any atmosphere. On the second night we ate in the main restaurant and the food was superb, one of the best meals we've had in a long time. The spa facilities in the hotel were excellent. My one criticism would be regarding the staff, most of whom seem very young and inexperienced. When we arrived there was no-one on reception and it took a while for a member of staff to appear. However, this is a minor point and if the staff are given the right training to bring them up to speed, this hotel would be very good indeed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have lovely views over gardens and countryside
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jinjin55
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

My Wife and I wanted a weekend break and chose The Greenway Hotel. We wanted a small an intimate hotel and were immediately charmed by the period property. We received a warm and professional welcome and shown to our room, our bedroom which was fantastic, large and clean, you sank into the bed.

Great dinner, staff were attentive without being too intrusive which allowed my wife an I to relax.

The Spa the following day was just an added bonus, before returning home .

Thoroughly enjoyable, great place, friendly staff, nothing seemed too much bother.

Before writing this review I did take some time to view previous comments below. no doubt the last two write ups their experiences was not the same as mine, whilst I don't doubt their integrity, if you look hard enough you can always find fault.

We will definitely return .

Room Tip: Room 10 Four Poster bedroom with spacious bathroom, views to the Front and Garden
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 18Mark18
GMGCheltenham, General Manager at The Greenway Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 29 October 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for the kind feedback you have posted on Trip Advisor. The team at The Greenway are committed to constantly providing the best service possible. We do value our guests and their feedback and I am pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay!

The Greenway is indeed a charming venue in a wonderful location so I am happy to read that you and your wife had the relaxing getaway you were hoping for. The spa is a recent and welcome addition to our hotel and again I am happy to hear you enjoyed your spa experience.

Kind regards,

Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

From arrival to departure it was hardly a memorable stay

Completely different from my stay at a sister hotel, The Royal Crescent, Bath, just 4 days earlier, The Greenway could very easily learn a few lessons and should

The place feels like a ship without a Captain - what a shame

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to inform me of your disappointing stay.

As you can see by the majority of Trip Advisor feedback we do aspire to better standards in general but on this occasion we don't seem to have put our best foot forward and I am sorry this is the case. I am however happy to say that The Greenway Spa Hotel is about to embark in a new chapter of its history which I am positive will facilitate further improvements in standards of service where required.

Your Sincerely,

Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

The Greenway is a lovely hotel, with tastefully decorated rooms and a high quality spa. Unfortunately the staff need to learn how to work in a hotel that charges such a high price. We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful, but what was missing is the forethought and anticipation that you benefit from in high-class hotels. The food in the main restaurant needs to be much better to warrant such a high price. My main recommendation to the owner or manager would be to recruit some key staff from establishments that are of the quality that The Greenway aspires to be. They could then demonstrate to the rest of the staff what the art of the possible could be.

My wife and I stayed at The Greenway for the first two nights of our honeymoon. I booked the hotel quite a while in advance and told the staff that we were getting married the day before. When we arrived we were immediately impressed by the building and the décor. The receptionist greeted us and explained that there were some electricity problems earlier in the day but everything should now have been resolved.

Having dropped our luggage in our room (we had booked one of the two best rooms in the hotel) we then returned downstairs for afternoon tea. The sandwiches and scones were excellent but I was surprised that there wasn't a choice of tea. For an establishment that is targeted at the top end of the hotel market it would be reasonable to offer Earl Grey, Darjeeling and Assam in addition to traditional English breakfast tea.

My wife wanted to take a bath, to relax after our wedding day. Unfortunately we discovered that there was no hot water. I returned downstairs and spoke to the receptionist, who explained that this was probably due to the power issues and that hot water should return in 30 minutes. After an hour we decided that this might take a little longer so opted to have dinner in the main restaurant.

The menu offers three courses for just over £50 so we had high hopes. Unfortunately our hopes were dashed as the quality of food did not warrant such a high price. You could tell that the chef was trying hard but the results just weren't there.

After dinner, my wife attempted to have a bath again but the water was still cold. I ended up sitting in the reception area whilst the receptionist called the maintenance person at home to find out what to do. He then talked her through a process to reset the boiler. I returned to our room and a few minutes later received a telephone call informing me that the water was now hot. Unconvinced we tried again and found the water to still be tepid. So my wife gave up on her plan for a bath and we went to bed.

The next day we started with a good breakfast. The food was well cooked and nicely presented. Next on our agenda was a visit to the spa, but at 11:30 we heard one of the staff mentioning the planned 6-monthly fire drill would be in five minutes time. So we decided to wait. Eventually, just before midday, the fire alarm sounded. We walked outside and stood in the car park. None of the staff told us where to go or what to do. There appeared to be general confusion and lack of understanding about what to do when the fire alarm sounded. After the fire drill we headed off to the spa for a massage. The staff in the spa were skilled, friendly and polite. Then the fire alarm sounded again so we left the building in our robes and slippers! Eventually we were told we could return, whilst the alarm bell was still ringing! We spent the next few hours relaxing in the spa and having lunch outside. The food was good but the portions were too small (even the larger option).

For our second evening we opted to eat in the other restaurant. The hotel was very quiet so the waiter gave us the option to eat in the main restaurant but choosing from the alternative menu. This was a good idea, which we appreciated. We had an enjoyable conversation with another couple over dinner and then retired to bed.

When we checked out of the hotel I explained that we had a problem with the hot water. We were given a discount off the room rate for our first night. I appreciated this gesture of good will. Also, whilst it would be unfair to expect any special treatment just because we were on our honeymoon, an acknowledgement of this special time for us would have been appreciated.

Would we stay in The Greenway again? Only if the food and service improved. It was certainly not value for money – for the same price we could have had far better food and service at other hotels.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank willidh
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review. Whilst I appreciate we did not entirely live up to your expectations on this occasion I am grateful for your feedback.

I have noted the issues you have raised and I have taken steps to address these points where required. I am sorry that your stay was disrupted by the fire drill and assure you that we take the safety of our guests and staff very seriously which means we do from time to time have to conduct such drills.

I also apologize that you suffered on one night due to the lack of hot water and I assure you that such incidents, though they may happen in the best of establishments from time to time, are extremely rare at The Greenway. I am pleased however that our reception team reacted positively and sympathetically under the circumstances and offered you suitable compensation for the inconvenience.

Finally I wish to assure you that we continue to strive towards fine service and great customer care and therefore I am grateful for your positive remarks about the staff's friendliness and helpfulness.

Kind Regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

My girlfriend, her parents and myself stayed overnight at the Greenway while attending a wedding in the area. The hotel was beautiful with lovely architecture. The newly added spa was fabulous.My girlfriends parents ate at the hotel and said the food ws excellent. But what made it such a lovely experience was the feeling of friendleness and hospitality from the staff. We were greated on our arrival by a helpful smilling receptionist who took our bags to our room. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. A hotel I would reccommend and come back to Cheltenham again and use

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
eastbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Friendly staff, beautiful surrondings. Spa brilliant. Food great. Will definately go back. all the staff were helpful and made you feel welcome as if they really loved working there. The room was lovely and it was great to have a kettle in the room as at Stappleford Park we had to have room service which cost the earth. Will definately go back when we need a break. Well done everyone there. We loved it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shurdington
Ellenborough Park
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#5 of 6 in Broadway
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,165 reviews

Been to The Greenway Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!