“Third return visit”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shurdington
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Third return visit”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from another two night stay, where we were warmly welcomed. Again the standard of hotel, service and food was excellent. Over Christmas 2013 we and our daughter and Partner stayed for four nights and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. The spa facilities put the icing on the cake. Could not recommend more highly. We will definitely be returning as it is a wonderful place to relax.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Keith R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The positive experience I had of the Greenway hotel started at the moment I made a reservation. They were very proactive following up my booking and not phased when things changed at the last minute. They were extremely accommodating to our every need.

I was coming with a large group and they suggested the private dining room which was a beautiful room and gave us complete privacy and made our experience very special. We were not rushed in any way. I was very glad that this was offered as I would not have known about this room had they not suggested it.

The staff were very professional and the service was exceptional. The flexibility to have different afternoon teas was also a refreshing change as often when booking a large group you have to have set options. The afternoon tea was delicious and freshly baked and no problem ordering more tea. We were not rushed in any way.

I would be happy to recommend this for a lovely afternoon tea experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I visited today for a special celebration with a friend - in slight trepidation as my last visit in August 2013 was disappointing. What a difference in approach - we were welcomed on arrival, shown to a table where we were given our programme for the day and some basic forms to fill out and as soon as we were ready to go in, a member of staff was immediately ready to show us through. This time, guest numbers were well-managed and we didn't ever feel crowded or rushed and it was good to see the experience shower working again. After a relaxing massage we enjoyed a very nice lunch. I particularly appreciated the complimentary upgrade of our herbal tea to a glass of champagne :-) The leek and potato soup was a delight - such an unusual way for it to be served and presented. Last time I wasn't sure if I would be back, but this was a vast improvement. Just short of excellent because of a few minor details (freezing shower in changing room and changing room window wide open again, defeating the object of the obscuration film!).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Currym0nster
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I visited today to celebrate a birthday. Neither of us had ever been before and we were booked in for lunch . From the moment we approached the main door to have it opened for us by a charming gentleman with a lovely genuine smile on his face to the friendly thank you and goodbye as we left, it was a faultless experience. Lovely calm, peaceful surroundings. Beautifully decorated throughout, warm, cosy, intimate but inviting atmosphere . We had time to sip our champagne before being taken to our table. The service was impeccable without being starchy and we simply felt cared for at all times. The food was a delight, we did think we might have had to call in at the chip shop on the way home as the courses were very light, bijoux portions but surprisingly filling by the time we had had dessert. The Salmon confit starter was beautiful, chicken main course perfect and the Rhubarb Panna cotta and ginger ice cream dessert just divine. Lovely selection of home made confectionery with tea in the lounge after. A perfect lunch and will look forward to returning again. Highly recommended and the management should be very proud of all of their staff.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Chard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I was given a spa day voucher for my birthday and decided to stay here overnight to avoid a motorway drive after my treatment. The spa day was a success (possibly the best back massage I've had), and the hotel did not disappoint either. The room decor was 'relaxed luxury' - beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The bathroom and bedroom (and the hotel in general) were very clean and spa miniatures were available in the bathroom, along with fluffy white robes and slippers.

I ate in the restaurant in the evening - the food was excellent - and the staff and service attentive without being intrusive. Despite my best intentions I ended up having all three courses!

The staff were fab, a really good team who looked after their guests - the icing on the cake!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

It is a lovely hotel, beautiful rooms, nice staff etc - but the spa is completely run separately, this is not unusual but it means you can't use the spa before 3pm - so we had wanted to arrive early use the facilities - swim, sauna, relax etc and have a good relax before we had our treatments - but alas no the spa is run for spa days so you can't use it until after 3 which is when we had our treatments, again no one told us this when we booked our treatments - so it was a massage and then out - very dissapointing.

It appears to be a spa run for hen nights and day spa people not for guests of the luxury hotel selling itself as a spa hotel.

So to advertise it as a spa hotel is a bit naughty - as you can't use the spa ! So if you want a spa break - go to a proper spa not this one... We would never have booked it if we had known.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel is perfect for a weekend away. We stayed in January and had a lovely time. We stayed in room 2 (Cedar) and were totally amazed by the room. The bed is huge, much wider than it is long! the room is very nicely decorated, with lovely views of both the front and back of the room. The small living room with TV is nice, and a great place to relax in. The bathroom is also nice and high quality.

An even better place to relax, however, is in the attached spa. You have to walk through the dining room, which is a little odd if you choose to wear your robe from your room (which apparently a lot of people do, but we decided just to change in the changing room), but nice not to have to go outside. The spa has a sauna, steam room and sonarium (a cooler sauna) as well as an experience shower (a fun experience, something I haven't seen before) and gym. The pool is also full of surprises and is a nice pool, but probably more for relaxing in rather than doing lengths. The outdoor hot tub had to be our favourite thing though. With the cold january air the water is amazingly warm, and the outdoor fireplace just makes the atmosphere perfect. On our second night we enjoyed a G&T in the outdoor hot tub (in a plastic glass, but understandably so!) which was also very nice.

On our first night we had planned on walking into the local area and finding a pub or restaurant to eat in, however there really isn't much nearby, and so it would need a drive into cheltenham. Once we hadn't found anything we decided to go back and order room service. The food from the bar/room service is delicious and very well presented, but the poshness means quite small portions (9 chips stacked jenga style with the fish and chips). Enough for a late night, but I would be disappointed slightly if it were earlier and I was hungrier, maybe a slightly taller tower would be better! My girlfriends sausages and mash was very good however and of a decent size!

Dinner in the restaurant was absolutely delicious. It is a fine dining sort of menu, and the food is perfectly presented, portioned and cooked. The wine list is also very good, with a lot of pricier wines but also cheaper wines which also taste great. I would strongly recommend staying for dinner here at least on one night.

Breakfast was a slight disappointment compared to the standard of the other food. The bacon and sausages weren't of the quality that I would have expected. The buffet selection was good however and some of the other cooked options were better.

Afternoon tea in the hotel is also a good experience, with a very large selection of sandwiches and sweet things with a wide selection of teas, a few which I'd never heard of.

The hotel isn't cheap, but I would say it is good value, and the friendly and accommodating staff made it a wonderful weekend, and one which I would love to repeat again. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: The suites are all lovely. Cedar (2) is great and has views of both sides of the hotel with a huge b...