“Inflexible Cancellation Policy”

The Greenway Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shurdington
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I recently booked a Spa Day as part of a group. I paid the 50% deposit in advance. However, on the day I was unfortunately taken unwell and unable to go. I asked if I was able to re-book/carry over my deposit for another time but was told that I was not able to. Not only that, but that I had to pay the full amount for the day. I was prepared to loose my deposit, but to pay the full price/not be able to secure any discount whatsoever against future bookings/treatments seemed overly harsh. They didn't even offer my treatment slot to anyone else in the group who went, so the whole amount that I spent on the day was completely wasted. I had honestly intended to re-book with a friend, book a room/dinner for a couple of nights and make a weekend of it. However, their inflexibility has resulted in my lost custom. I couldn't help being unwell and feel as though they could have met me half way.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank V_M_CBristol

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This was our second visit. It was an impromptu last minute visit. We took full advantage of the spa facilities, which are really lovely; a really relaxing place that smells wonderful! We used the pool, drank champagne and then I had a massage; which was good. We had a wonderful meal; interesting, a little bit quirky, nicely presented. The staff were spot on - friendly and helpful but at the same time, very professional; nothing was too much trouble. The room was a little hot (that's the only criticism) and they have a lovely turn down service at night, which is quite charming. It's a beautifully romantic and relaxing place.
Our only (very minor) criticism was the wine - we had a Malbec at £29.00 (which we know is a cheap red in a place like this but our thoughts were that Malbec with the lamb would be full and soft) it was really uptight and too cool. We've had good £9.00 - £10.00 retail Malbecs. However, once decanted (we asked for it to be) and after a bit of time to breathe and warm, it was much better.
We will be back. It's so peaceful and welcoming.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here to celebrate his 21st birthday. Check in was at 3 however our room wasn't ready so we had a nice walk around the gardens and had a drink on the patio area, we were abit worried as we were only staying for one night and wasn't shown to our room until 3.30pm. We stayed in the Elm room in the Coach house. I requested before we arrived to have a double shower and this was catered for, our room was well worth the wait! It was beautiful! I had the best nights sleep. The food was superb, staff were attentive and very helpful. We spent our day in the spa and felt very relaxed and refreshed! I highly recommend the Elm Suite and we will definitely be visiting again. The only thing we will change on our next visit is to stay for minimum 2 nights, 1 night was just not long enough! We both left the hotel feeling quite sad to leave however myself and my partner had a lovely time on your special occasion! :)

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We held a family lunch here for my mother's 85th birthday. Everything was perfect. The service was exceptional - discreetly attentive at all times and accommodating to all our wishes. The food was excellent and the private dining room was beautifully set out. We were able to have drinks before the meal and coffee after the meal in a private area of the garden with a croquet lawn. We had glorious weather which enhanced a wonderful occasion. The planning was immaculate and all the staff were most welcoming. We could not have wished for a happier day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights on business. The gardens, public areas and staff are lovely. The views are stunning. My room was on the top floor and, in the main, well appointed. The wifi works brilliantly, there are loads of power points and it was blissfully quiet with good amenities although an intermittently functioning shower. Even less positive was the bed: it was two singles pushed together with a detached headboard. I was alone but even moving around in the night caused the headboard to bash against the wall. Secondly, the pillow cases are foul! They don't have a flap to prevent the pillow from being exposed. Commercial laundries love these pillow cases because they are cheap to launder but they look terrible.

Dinner and drinks were great and the service excellent.

The greatest disappointment is the fitness suite: it's tiny and has almost no equipment. I know gyms don't make money from gyms in the same way as they can from spa treatments but they make even less money when customers go to other hotels with proper gyms!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the greenway for two nights during the busy festive season. Our stay could not have been more perfect. The staff went out of their way to cater to our needs and everything exceeded our expectations. The restaurant has an exceptional wine list, and the food was delicious. I had the passionfruit soufflé for dessert, and even though it wasn't on the menu the second night, the chef made me one especially seen as I had enjoyed it so much the evening before.
The spa facilities are top notch with a relaxing outdoor jacuzzi too. We made good use of the treatments available and walked away from our mini-break feeling completely relaxed and very pampered.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We booked the larger of the two private dining rooms for a family lunch for about 20. We were able to decorate the room for our parents 50th anniversary, and had an area of the lounge for a drinks reception. The pre- planning was excellent - pre- booking a three course meal for 20 from a menu that had around 4-5 choices per course. There was an excellent wine list too. The food and wine were both excellent. Service was very good despite busy Mothers' Day bookings for the restaurant. The grounds are lovely. Overall a lovely day. Worked out at around £50 a head. Strongly recommend.

Stayed: March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shurdington
Ellenborough Park
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Cowley Manor
Cowley Manor
#1 of 1 in Cowley

Been to The Greenway Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!