“Very nice and pleasant stay”

The Live and Let Live
Ranked #1 of 1 Pegsdon B&B and Inns
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Very nice and pleasant stay”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We needed some where to stay local to Ampthill for an appointment the following day. made to feel very welcome by the hosts for the short time we were there.

The rooms are in self contained chalets just a short walk away from the main building, with ample car park. Although there is a road very close by, it is not busy or noisy at all

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner booked to stay here as a last minute get away and didn't really know what to expect.

The rooms are little self contained chalet style rooms just separate to the main pub and I have to say without a doubt was the cleanest place I have ever stayed. The rooms are furnished beautifully.

The surrounding countryside is gorgeous and is well located to visit nearby hitchin.

Waking into the bar area on the Saturday night there was a slight element of this is a local pub for local people but that was the patrons not the staff so not the fault of the staff who were welcoming and friendly.

Some people comment it's noisy - yes it's on a main road... Hardly the fault of the staff. Some people complain breakfast is not served early enough for business travellers - breakfast times are displayed online if it's too late for you don't stay there.

The down side - there was no milk in our fridge and we had to ask them a couple of times and yes breakfast left a bit to be desired but the staff were friendly and were trying their best to sort any little issues out.

Overall I would definitely stay here again - yes slight things could improve but that is always going the be the case.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Morrissey85
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I came across the Live & Live whilst looking for a suitable place to stay while we walked on the chiltern hills .
Martin is a gentleman and although we were only there for one night , he went out of his way to make us feel welcome . There is no stuffiness here only nice considerate hosts who serve excellent food . It is well worth a visit even if it is only for the beer and food.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elfinlovely
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My family booked a table for seven people to have dinner here for 08/03- the first thing we noticed was that the building had been decorated.

I really loved the idea of a pianist and the ambient lighting/candles around the restaurant- the piano was a lovely touch and made a change from pop music blaring out of speakers. We found this complimented the atmosphere well.

We were seated a the large table in front of one of the main windows and noticed the lovely little touches to make the area special (tea light holders and window fairy lights).

We all had a starter and a main.

Firstly there was only one 'liver bubble and squeak' main so my father missed out on this but chose to have the seafood cocktail to start and then the bruised lamb shoulder. He said he enjoyed the starter but there was only prawns in the seafood cocktail and he expected more than this as the dish said 'seafood' (I have checked the menu online and can see that it now says 'prawn and crayfish cocktail').
He said that the braised lamb shoulder wasn't as nice as he was expecting. He didn't want to say anything as he was so hungry but I tried some and he was quite right, it was dry and didn't taste like braised lamb shoulder. It was flaky and looked a bit like compressed pulled pork.

I chose to have the pigeon and pheasant terrine. I enjoyed this but felt it was a little dry and too much of it for a starter. I couldn't finish it so my husband had the rest.
I then had the duck. I found this a little tough- tasty, but tough. My husband had this too and enjoyed it.

As far as I know, the rest of my family enjoyed their starters and mains.

The only thing I would say is that the menu looks lovely, but this kind of food is so difficult to get right- when it is right, it is perfect but when it isn't, it can be disastrous.
I am pleased that this wasn't just a place that did overpriced burgers and steaks.

I think I will come back here again as I can see that they are trying to make this a lovely place. Whoever decorated the building has wonderful taste.

I think I will come back here for a lunch and see how I get on.

Thank you for making my family feel welcome.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SillyBabyBean
Shefford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

After seeing their advert in our local paper we booked a table to celebrate Valentines night and our first wedding anniversary...somewhere new to try.

From the very second we entered we felt uncomfortable and unwelcome. Totally unorganised and chaotic, we approached the bar having booked a week prior, to let them know we had arrived, to be told that they "would try and sort a table out". We ordered a drink at the bar and asked if we could add it to our table, to be told that "it makes it a bit complicated". My Vodka and Tonic had a strange whiff of old dog about it.....
We sat down in the bar on the patio furniture, and we're subsequently ignored. After a while we hovered by the tables and had to grab a barefooted waitress!, we were finally seated three feet from speakers which then drowned out any chance of a romantic conversation. The singer which was promoted as a romantic Caberet proceeded to stick her fingers down her throat when mentioning the fact it was Valentines night.....nice touch!
On arrival our first course was unedible, the Scallops tasted of egg fat and the base of my Beetroot tart was like coal, we should have been warned as the burning smell filled the dining area.
Enough was enough, so we offered to pay for the food that we had ordered, which they thankfully declined and left, passing other disgusted diners outside on the way. When asking from where the wine originated our fellow diners were told "the fridge"!
This restaurant should be closed!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 80Frosty

Travellers are raving about these Pegsdon hotels

East Sussex, England
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely location a great view. Busy road. But Warm welcome was asked to pay straight away. Main building lovely no main signage to show direction to reception. Meal ok but expensive choices very limited.

Room on first glances and in photos. Looked great BUT chilly. No heating to warm room prior to arrival. A very rattley drafty door huge gaps. Blind let light in, rail with no curtains??? Floor dust ??? No phone to contact reception? Small sink NO hot water at all it was freezing. The towels were small and cheap quality. Different colours of grey whites?

The 2 most AWEFUL things of our stay. Was the loud screeching of shower room fan.

Lastly the mattresses where the cheapest quality ever. Only suitable for a child or feather weight adult. Awoke with back pain not good. Also no extra blankets either. As it was so chilly. Breakfast ok no menu list?? So asked, then was told what we would get. But 2 items where missing on our plates?

Not all it was cracked up to be. Slap dash owners. Shame really :-(

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Paradisehear
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed here a few weeks ago for 1 night just in passing, through.
Service was not very good, there was no-one around when we arrived in the afternoon.
Rooms are chalets outside, they were warm and clean and the bed was nice & comfy.
Wi-fi did not work in the rooms

Dinner was average, i had only ate my dinner about 1 hour and then I had tummy cramps, i'm not sure if it was connected !!
Breakfast, well that's another adventure, staff were very disorganised and not alot of variety to choose from. We eventually ordered, but most of the items we were told was available did not appear on the plate when it arrived. After waiting for almost 30 mins, we got toast, eggs, 1 sausage and very crispy / hard bacon. Not impressed !

I really don;t think I would be back, only if i was stuck

Good Luck !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank KarenP295
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pegsdon
Hilton Garden Inn Luton North
King William Hotel
#10 of 26 in Luton
Premier Inn Hitchin Town Centre Hotel
Offley Place Country House

Been to The Live and Let Live? Share your experiences!