“Great food in a great setting”

The Live and Let Live
Ranked #1 of 1 Pegsdon B&B and Inns
united kingdom
“Great food in a great setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Went today with 13 family members for my father in laws 70th birthday. Sat outside for drinks first and had the best pimms I've had for a long time, full of fruit and mint, went inside where our table was laid out for us with balloons.
Menu choices were great, definately something for everyone and they let us order burgers off the other menu for the 3 teenagers, I had carrot and cumin soup, piping hot and tasted lovely , the other starters looked just as nice, choice of roasts plus fish & chips and ham, egg and chips if you fancied something different, the roast chicken was great as was my fruit crumble and custard, I read and comment a lot on trip advisor and unfortunately not enough people comment when things are nice, maybe just human nature! I would definately return here and look forward to my next visit, the views are spectacular, the restaurant and bar really busy and people were having a lovely afternoon, read past some of the reviews and try it for yourself,

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank piptipping

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

My Dad and I visited the restaurant back in February and had a pretty poor experience. We both ordered fish and chips (that dish that famously difficult to get right) and when it eventually arrived it was the kind of dark brown batter you get when the oil has been over used. It was very greasy and did not taste very good so we complained.
The waiter was shocked and did part one of the "but there is nothing wrong with it nobody else has companied routine" before passing us on to the owner who was obviously stunned and spent ages trying to persuade us that there was noting wrong, had no complaints etc.
I was foolish enough to offer a polite suggestion that they might want to change the oil which was obviously not correct as the chef was consulted and they had apparently changed it only yesterday. As the customer we were obviously but chose to go to the Raven to try to get something decent to eat after paying for everything else. Sadly several family members were staying the night before a funeral and despite warning them off they decided to also eat there and had a similarly poor experience. My guess is they must have also been been wrong and the food is actually as good as the owner thinks it is or perhaps its just pining for the fjords!

Room Tip: Stay at in the rooms perhaps as there is a great view but avoid the poor food and don't even con...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Pegsdon hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Needed an overnight close to Luton on a Sunday night and booked through bookingdotcom. Overlooked that no food is served on a Sunday after 5:00pm. Even worse, the pub was shut as well!! - although I believe this may have been a one-off. However, slightly redeemed by the friendly guy who showed me to my room, organised to leave me a bit of breakfast (because the other thing is breakfast doesn't start til 8:00 which is a bit late when you have to meet an 8:00 arriving flight!) and advised me to eat at the pub down the road. The room was OK - comfortable bed, fridge with some water and proper milk for the coffee facilities. Bathroom was clean, but the sealant round the shower needed re-doing because it was looking a bit grey. Nothing really negative to stay, and yes, I'll give it another chance if I need to, because I suspect it deserves a better review when the pub and kitchen is open!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Walton on Thames
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Live and Let Live in Pegsdon in May 2014, as we were staying overnight near Pirton for a friend's 40th birthday party. We arrived at The Live and Let Live at about 7pm and were shown to our room by a member of the bar staff. The room was well appointed with good bathroom facilities and was comfortable. However, we were told that breakfast on Sunday was served at 10am, which was a little later than we had hoped. When we went down to the restaurant for breakfast at 10am to our surprise there was a hand written note on the door saying "Breakfast - 9am". Several couples were already eating. After struggling to get anyone's attention to put our order in we then waited until 10.45am for our cooked breakfast to arrive - the full English was very good, the bacon in particular, but this meant we were effectively eating brunch and our plans for the rest of the day were delayed. I mentioned the 10am start confusion to a member of staff when we settled our bill, but he just explained that they like to "push" a 10am start time for breakfast, although if guests want an earlier start they will try to accommodate this. This was an unsatisfactory explanation as far as we were concerned and given the price we paid overall I would have expected better service in terms of a) clarity over when breakfast was served and b) speed of service at breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David B
shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We needed a hotel near to Luton airport but didn't want the run of the mill 'on airport' type. What a gem Live and Let Live is. From the locals in the bar, who made us very welcome, to the comfy bed, it was all a delight. Food was fab too. Martin is a great host and even printed out our boarding cards!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Westport, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business earlier this week and was pleased with my choice on arrival. Martin greeted me pleasantly and showed me to my room. The bedrooms are a row of chalet style accommodations behind the pub that are quite spacious (faint damp smell pervaded) with comfortable bedding.

Main let down was food - it took a long time to receive my mixed grill and salad which arrived without 2 of the main items, a cremated piece of bacon and an overlooked / cold steak. I was very hungry and just ate it - on picking up the menu to check the advertised contents of the grill the waiter noticed and came over to apologise immediately (seems to have been waiting to see if I noticed). Missing items were replaced. However the trend continued as I heard 3 separate apologies at 3 different tables for food quality.

On check out I paid my bill for accommodation and food but later realised that I had prepaid for my accommodation. I called Martin who tried to help but succeeded in taking a further 70 pounds off my card rather than adding it back. To be fair he came back to me the next day to tell me about this and eventually I got the correct refund.

Clearly efforts are being made regarding hospitality here but the food offering needs an overhaul. On balance wouldn't stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We needed some where to stay local to Ampthill for an appointment the following day. made to feel very welcome by the hosts for the short time we were there.

The rooms are in self contained chalets just a short walk away from the main building, with ample car park. Although there is a road very close by, it is not busy or noisy at all

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pegsdon
Premier Inn Hitchin Town Centre Hotel
Needham House Hotel
Needham House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Wymondley
Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Live and Let Live? Share your experiences!