“Very good dumplings”

Back Home Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 126 Restaurants in Elizabethtown
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Old Victorian style home built in 1872. Two stories tall, with bottom floor Resaurant and top floor being Boutique and gift shop. Family owned and operated. Local flavor along with homemade candies, cakes and pies. Accommodations for large or small parties. Dual parking, both on the side and rear across from local Catholic Church. Also, handicabable beside rear of building. Best kept secret in Hardin County
“Very good dumplings”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We were visiting our son who is stationed at Ft Knox and decided to look around Elizabethtown while he was a work. He recommended this restaurant for lunch. The day we were there, the lunch special was chicken and dumplings. The dumplings were very good. Very close to the dumplings my grandmother used to make. The waitress was very nice and the restaurant had a nice "homey" feel to it.

• Visited June 2011

Louisville, Kentucky
“Superb Home Cooking and Fast, Friendly Service too!”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Stopped by the Back Home Restaurant today during the Cruisin' the Heartland Festival; nice to get out of the heat and into this air-conditioned historic building converted into a homey restaurant. This place is a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach. Nostalgic crafts, gifts, homemade candies and fudge are offered in the lobby and upstairs areas.

The food is consistently tasty, an ample menu, as well as daily specials, provide a variety of choices for every picky diner. My standby favorites are the potato crusted cod and most definitely the chicken and dumplings (Monday and Thursday's special), but today I thought I'd try something different.

I opted for the open-faced roast beef and mashed potatoes sandwich and was not disappointed. White bread piled high with delicious freshly homemade mashed potatoes, covered with tender roast beef and a blanket of hot and tasty brown gravy - what's not to love! You've got to have the baby carrots on the side, they're the perfect partner. What can I say, I cleaned my plate!

My husband always gets the veggie plate. You can choose from a large variety of veggie offerings but he always gets his "casserole" plate - hash brown casserole, broccoli casserole and sweet potato casserole. I've tried them all and they all pass my "yummy" test.

The service at Back Home is always fast and friendly, from the hostess to the server to the person at the counter as you pay. I have never had a bad experience at the Back Home Restaurant.

• Visited July 2011
Elizabethtown, KY
“Overpriced and past its prime”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I'd heard good things about the place and was enticed to stop in by the $5 lunch special. Sadly, that was for a bowl of soup beans and a cornbread muffin. Thats a ripoff. Surveying the tiny bowl, I knew I wouldn't full up on that so I had a burger. It was fine, but nothing special. It had one unique feature: a fried green tomato. That was a pleasant surprise. And the fried cheese cake was good, too. But the value simply isn't there for me to return.

“WONDERFUL HIDDEN GEM!”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We were traveling a couple weeks ago near the Bardstown area and based on the reviews we decided to make this a stop on our list. We were AMAZED! The food was INCREDIBLE, the staff was super friendly and the craft store area was perfect for my taste! Even the decor and atmosphere was fun to look at. We each ordered the fried green tomato burger and we tried a side order of hashbrown casserole to go along. They were absolutely delicious! The burger was juicy with a just right outside, two hand-breaded fried green tomatoes and a potato bun. The hashbrown casserole was perfect! Although we were full, we knew we couldn't pass on dessert here so we ordered the Apple Dumpling with Ice Cream and the Fried Cheesecake Bites with Ice Cream. Let me tell you, it was by far the best dessert I've ever had. We shared and finished every bite. We were so full we were almost miserable but it was completely worth it. I am a Weight Watchers member and it was SO good I felt NO guilt over eating it all! After our meal, we moseyed around the the craft shop and purchased a few items. Prices were reasonable for the food and crafts. Try it folks, I promise you will want to make the drive just to go back! By far one of the best meals I've ever had!

• Visited July 2011
Chicago, IL
“great southern home cooking!”
Reviewed 25 May 2011

came here last year while on business. was a little wary when we pulled up, more wary when we first walked in, but what a pleasant little place that served some really good food. came back this week with some co-irkers and they loved it too! i had the country fried steak again, and it was just as good as i remembered it last year. the hash brown casserole is excellent, and we all split some fried cheesecake bites and fried brownie bites. if you're looking for healthy, you can probably find some better options, but if you're looking for a non-chain, seemingly authentic local cuisine, this is the place for you!

• Visited May 2011