“great price but....”

Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Florence
Rolling Meadows, Illinois
“great price but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I scored a really great deal on the room so I can't complain too much, but it was not the cleanest place I have stayed. It seemed they were updating things (good) but the pool was out of service (not so good) and our room needed a more thorough cleaning. I won't describe to stuff that appeared to be growing in the bathroom vent. On the upside, I always inspect the beds first and these were very clean (looked new) and pretty comfy! Breakfast was not real elaborate by any stretch...I seen worse for a lot more money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lisa H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Florence, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in all of my fifty-one years and you couldn't pay me to return!!!
Our electric went out due to the weather we have been having so my husband and I booked a room here thinking it was the Holiday Inn it used to be years ago.
We pulled up and noticed that it was now a Ramada due to the sign posted on the building. We went in to check in and we were told that Ramada was bought out and that they were now owned by Magnusson Hotels.
The older lady checking us in was on a phone call the entire time disputing a charge on her credit card. I actually felt rude being there like I was interrupting her! I was shocked when I found out later that she (her name is Sarah) also happened to be the manager.
The price was reasonable, we paid around fifty dollars dollars after taxes which is a great rate. Sadly, the price was the only part of our entire stay that didn't totally disappoint us.
To make a LONG story short, the room was filthy. The toilet looked like it hadn't ever been cleaned and the tub was full of soap scum. The bedding had over five cigarette burns even though we were in a non-smoking room and to be honest I felt dirty even taking a shower there.
When I called the front desk in hopes of switching rooms the man that answered was very short with me and instead sent a little Indian man down to clean up. He couldn't understand me so I just gave up.
The next morning around 7:15 we walked down to have their continental breakfast that they have for their guests free of charge.
They had cereal, waffles, bread, and danishes. I tried a waffle but the batter was sour so I had to throw it out. I reached for a danish but they were all out so I had to go to the front desk to ask for more. I was told that they stock the breakfast room at six thirty and that Sarah (the manager) watches the camera from her home on a live feed and will fire anyone that refills the breakfast room.
I learned all of this from staying ONE night, This place should be shutdown until they can restaff and find a manager and employees that actually care.
If you're looking for somewhere to stay in Florence try Comfort Inn which is a block down the road or any other hotel.
The Magnusson may have just bought this place but they need to clean house and hire employees that actually care about their place of work. I feel sorry for the new owners and anyone who resides at this place!!

• Stayed March 2014