“HOW CAN YOU ADVERTISE A DELUXE BREAKFAST WHEN THEY CANNOT PROVIDE MILK FOR YOUR BREAKFAST”

Best Western Inn Florence
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersGold level
Newcastle, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,591 helpful votes
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed eight nights at the Best Western Inn Florence check in July 26th-check out August 3rd, room 113.
On arrival, reception staff was very friendly and gave us a list of local restaurants that give you a discount on presentation of your Best Western room key, the room had a fresh smell .But there were no note pads or pens left by the phone as all Best Western hotel do, USA Today are available at reception in limited numbers.
There were three guests staying in the room but only one small soap and one shampoo with towels for two people, we asked housekeeping staff for more and they gave it to us no problem.
Day two, no shampoo, day three, no soap or shampoo and so on, we asked housekeeping staff for more and they gave it to us no problem , but this happened most days chasing around housekeeping staff for soap and shampoo that should have be supplied to the room daily. The old bits of soap and empty shampoo bottles were left regularly in the bathroom, cleaning staff should have cleared them away when….if they cleaned up! TV in the room was an old heavy type not a modern flat screen as all hotels rooms should have by now.
The area had a thunder storm the first night that we arrived and the hotel had a power out for a couple of hours , the houses next to the hotel also suffered a power loss but everywhere else seemed to be powered up ok .Fine we thought but about four o’clock the following day another thunderstorm raised its head and same again, the hotel and house up the bank suffered another power loss, lasting this time till just before midnight, you could see that the main street and surrounding area was still lit up so their power was ok .It just seemed that every time that there was a thunder storm the hotel had a power loss!! Not very good when you are paying good money for the hotel and its facility’s and you cannot use any because the hotel is in darkness. Could not even get showered as it was too dark in the bathroom, the receptionist had a tiny torch and a few little candles lit on the reception desk. Not very well prepared for an emergency, and the emergency lights in the hotel were a waste of time. We were not offered any discount for these two days power outs and in fact would have checked out if we had known were another Best Western hotel was in the area. So be aware when you book this hotel we had two thunder storms and two power outages so ask yourself is this a regular occurrence?
Our room (113) looked like it had just being painted, the corners of the rooms where the different paint colours meet where very badly “cut in”, and splodges of the wrong colour paint on the other wall. The walls were not painted all the way down to the floor, three to four inches of the wall was missing new paint all the way round the floor skirting area of the room and the ceiling light as you walk into the room was coming away from the ceiling showing a gap between the light fitting and the ceiling. Obviously not finished decorating so the room should not have been let out till it was fit to do so!!
The computer in the lobby has a sign next to it saying “20 minute time limit on this computer” a big joke!! As it took about 20 minutes to get online!! The internet is really very slow, that slow that you have to restart the computer every time you use it, and that’s just to get the computer to work!! The Norton antivirus keeps popping up saying “out of date”. When mentioned to the receptionist she replied with “yes I think it needs looked at as I think it has a virus” (that’s the last thing that I wanted to here when I have just accessed my personnel files online!!)
The day after one of the two thunder storms we tried to use the hot tub but it did not work as it had not been reset after the previous night’s thunderstorm. We asked reception for pool towels as they are not left in the pool area they are put outside the laundry room well away from the pool area and received warm towels straight from the dryer from her only to get to the pool and open one of the towels out to find a DIRTY POOL TOWEL I took it back to the receptionist and showed her brown stains on the towel and she replied “I assure you the towels are clean” but I assure you we will not use DIRTY TOWELS!!
The pool safety life buoy was cracked in several places and broken through in one area, totally useless and not fit for use in a pool emergency. (Could cost somebody’s life if required in an emergency!!) Pool hours 7 am till 10pm but on day five the pool gate was still locked at 9.30am ( day five).While in the pool area we noticed what I took to be the family that owns the hotel, carrying two Rhino portable gas bottles and small portable stoves, which they took by the back side fire door(next to their private room / laundry room area).They cooked meals there daily, I also noticed while at the pool looking through the fence that they also feed some sort of wild animals, I watched them place fruit, large seeds, pellets and flower heads under the fir trees beside the pool area, looking around to see if anyone had seen them do it.But they did not notice me!! The pool safety camera does not point onto the pool it points directly down onto the path below! (do they work?)
On the morning of day five of our visit a car rear window was broken into to steal something off the back seat, I saw the police attend later that morning with the owner of the vehicle. The two old style cameras did not seem in range of the vehicle in question, the cameras should have been the more modern ball type so that people do not know which way the cameras are pointing. I only spotted three cameras around the perimeter of the hotel.
On arrival to the hotel we informed the reception staff that our luggage had not made it to the USA from the UK and would be arriving the next day, so they knew we only had the clothes we were standing in. So we went out for dinner and on the way back to the hotel we got caught in a thunder storm, soaked through to the skin. We asked reception if they had a laundry room to dry our clothes, no was the reply but there is a coin laundry shop up on the main street, So had to trail up there and dry clothes out, they should have knowing our situation let us use one of their dryers along the hallway on a “one off” basis!!
Now to the “DELUXE BREAKFAST” what a joke!!, yes they have eggs biscuits and gravy on and an elderly woman looking after the breakfast area on a weekend it was ok and well stocked, but the rest of the week the receptionist had to juggle answering the phone ,taking bookings and looking after the breakfast bar. There were only sixteen seats in the breakfast area so you can just imagine the scene in the breakfast area in the busy period when everybody wants a seat at a table. Yoghurts were on a week end but not during the week .I was always about on the lobby computer trying to get it to work at about six am when the breakfast area was getting put out but did not have my breakfast till the rest of our party was up and ready, so I know what was put out!! During the week the hotel ran out of all sorts, believe it or not……MILK …for your cereal ,small milk for your coffee, waffles bagels cakes and fruit and yoghurts, and even ran out of the chocolate waffle mixture ( sorry non left was the answer!!) They had four coffee dispensers and I had to ask on several occasions for them to be refilled. Then there was the fruit juice machine, the receptionist was trying to get it to work at six am still was not working at eight am when we had our breakfast. Then just before nine am they got it to work. (Yes the owner came and turned the power switch located under the drip tray to “ON”).I just shook my head and walked away smiling.
Brick work on the pillars of the main canopy at the main entrance was just starting when we arrived and was still on-going when we checked out eight days later. The workers left the area untidy every day they worked on it and was only tidied up when we took a photo of it on the way out one night of which I am sure that the receptionist seen us take a photo as it was all cleaned up when we came back.
As you see I took notes when we visited and photos to back everything up.
It’s the little things in life that make your stay and the difference of a good hotel to a bad hotel.
Now the better things;
The hotel was clean inside, staff friendly, and beds comfortable
Best Western Inn Florence is a ten minute taxi ride away from the airport costing $24 in an airport taxi. Plenty of eating places walking easy distance from the hotel, with Florence Mall being a thirty minute walk away, mostly on footpaths but some along the main road walking is required, ok even though some of the roads are very busy and can be difficult to cross.
Cincinatti is about fifteen minutes away in a taxi, costing us $27, a very quiet city not much going on there, just shops and eating places.
Good place to visit is the Florence Aquatic centre, a water park about ten minute’s walk away, it’s cheap $10 for adult non-residents $7 for children non-residents.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
62 Thank SUSAN H
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Director of Sales at Best Western Inn Florence, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
I wanted to thank you for placing your review on Trip Advisor, Best Western, and our personal survey site. I have had the chance to read your review many times in detail and because of the details that you provided I wanted the opportunity to show you the respect that you deserve for the reasoning behind such a detailed response. I saw by your review that many customers find it helpful so I hope that my updates will be helpful as well.
1. You had mentioned that you had limited access to the USA today. Friday we get a stack and they are good for the weekend because that is how they are published. We order based off of last years occupancy average and I am sorry that that weekend you had an experience with not having a newspaper. Next year for August we will up our order to allow our guests to have newspaper as we grow with customers.
2. You had mentioned that you had experienced lack of consistency in housekeeping with having to look for soaps and having lack of extra soaps in the room .I would proudly like to announce that we have hired a new housekeeping supervisor on August the 20th.She is inspecting all stayovers that got service and also all arrivals and vacant rooms. With this new addition we are hoping to resolve this issue that you experienced.
3. As you are aware we are remodeling and upgrading all amenities inside and outside of our hotel. The recognition of not having upgraded TVs are in order and will be 42 inch flat screen TVs.
4. In the years that I have worked here as the Director of Sales and General Manager, I have experienced lack of power because of storms on very low occasions. We did have issues with over useage of power because of the additional amentities as we have grown in the last 15 years and so on AUG 15 we upgraded our panel. Storms we cannot control but with this upgrade on the 15th we hope to control those other issues.
5. I know that you stated that you would have checked out if you knew of a Best Western near by. I wanted to let you know you were correct, we are the closet location within a 30 minute driving distance of Florence.
6. Thank you for noticing our freshly painted rooms. The detailing in the corners are being fixed by the painters along with any other scratches on the door frames etc throughout the interior and we have painted the exterior to give a fresh look as well.
Just for informational purposes the detail of paint not being brought to the floor is because we place a carpet border throughout the room. We have ordered the carpet and have received the carpet and we are in hopes that it will be installed along with the hallways and fitness room before the end of Septemeber. Now I know you stated that you believe the rooms should not be rented until finished and we really wish we could do that but with a whole exterior and interior renovation it is hard to do that so we try to accommodate as best as we can in the situation that we are in.
7. Your concerns about the computer were addressed on AUG 22nd. We have installed norton and had the tower serviced. Thank You for bringing this concern to our attention so we can better serve our guests.
8. The picture of the towel is one of the examples why we replaced our laundry person. Sadly the employee that we had on staff was not doing his duties to Best Western Standard on many occasions and so we hadto replace him. We have also placed an order for pool towels that have blue strips so that our customers know the difference between our old towels and a pool towel. I am sorry that the desk clerk though did not inspect the condition of the towel before giving it to you but I am sure she was trusting the laundry person at that time to have accurately seperated the linens. We are hoping with our new staffing this is no longer an issue.
9. During your stay you might have noticed all of our new signs as the one your mentioned about the pool hours. These have been installed. The new equipment you mentioned and photographed has been purchased and will be placed since its the end of the season out for next year along with all of our pool upgrades.
10. The pictures of our guests I hope you got permission from them before posting them online. They were our guests that rented the entire hotel but your room from the 10th of AUG to the 13th of AUG. Yes they cooked outside used our large feild for their tent and the party could not be happier with what we provided them. We are sorry that you did not agree to their customs or choices for their wedding but this was in the contract when accepting the group. This is not a normal activity at our property.
11. We are a secure location. If you question our security please call the Florence Police department located directly accross the street and many time circling our parkng lot to use our internet. Feel free to question them about the dangerous activities or disturbances from our hotel. In the 15 years of us being here we have probably have less than 1 page of issues. We have 16 functional cameras for our small building. They are located throughout our hallways front desk lobby pool and exterior area. Sadly the location of the car was placed outside of the viewing area example exposed in your photo graph. The police did recoginize that it was foul play by children.
12. I am sorry that the front desk could not help you with your wet clothes. There are on many occasions we cater to washing and drying clothes for our customers but we cannot permit our guests into our laundry room for safety purposes. We also cater to these things when we are not busy because we do not advertise these services. I am sorry that the location that she provided was not what you were expecting but that is exactly 0.3 miles (1 minute) from our location according to google maps. I hope that this accomodated your needs.
13. We are happy to announce that our exterior renovations from painting the stoning as you mentioned parking lots etc is completed. We are hope that these renovations give a great first impression on what we can offer for our guests.
14. I dont know what to say about breakfast besides that I am sorry for the frustration this caused you during your stay. The housekeeping supervisor runs the breakfast early in the mornings so that we can make sure that our front desk is catering to our guest needs on busy days. Hopefully this is allow our future guests as well to be catered to during breakfast hours.

I take full responsibility for the lack of organization during my 2 month leave. My return in late August I was sad to see that my relieving manager did not live up to Best Western Standard. I hope that you along with other guests can take the time to look at reviews prior to june 1st and see the woncderful comments about how our property is truely ran. With my return and consistent presence I can assure that improvements have been made and implimented. Please accept this review as our deepest apologies on behalf of the entire staff and Best Western. Please also accept this review as a free stay so I can have the chance to show you a better experience your next time through Florence KY

Again my deepest apologies and thank you for giving me the chance for my future guests updates on my property,

Brett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Whitman, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2012

From the time we checked in, we was put in 4 different rooms. We wasn't the only ones that had problems. This elderly couple, the man walked on a cane and the wife was battling cancer, ended up demanding a refund. Also, this woman and her young son was in the area for a dr. appt. for the little boy, they also had problems. The 1st room we was put in was dirty. We will never stay at this hotel again. And I will advise others not to stay there.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommed any of the rooms at this hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Tonya B
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Director of Sales at Best Western Inn Florence, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
I would like to thank you for allowing me to see an honest review from our consumer.
I have no excuse of what the situation was but to fully accept responsibility for the lack of management since June 1st. I was on leave and intrusted someone to keep the hotel running smoothly but returned to see unhappy customers and that is my worst fear. I, as the manager and Director of Sales, takes large pride in my property. I am sorry that you had, along with additional customers, such a bad experience. I am sure that you read the previous resposes and that is what lead you to my property. Again I am sorry that you had a bad example placed upon you during your visit in Florence and I can ensure you that you will not experience this on your next trip to the area. Please mention this review to recieve a free stay. I would love to have the opportunity to show you the real experience and improvements of our property

Again my deepest apologies,

Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

We stopped in with no reservation on July 28th. There were no doubles available so we got the King jacuzzi room. The front desk clerk was very helpful in getting us a rollaway and all the bedding for it. I wish I had gotten her name she was great. The room was very clean, roomy, comfortable bed, and updated. We were offered a list of nearby places to eat. We ended up ordering Chinese off the list which was very good. They forgot to send plates and forks so I went to the front desk and asked if they had any. I was offered some from the breakfast area no problem. This hotel was very quiet, I didn't hear any outside noise. There is also a large area where you can exercise your dog after a long day in the car. The only suggestion I would have is to update the tv. This was the seventh Best Western we have stayed in this summer and by far the best.

• Stayed July 2012
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Director of Sales at Best Western Inn Florence, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time and filling out a review on Trip Advisor. We love seeing that our hard work and dedication to our property reflects upon our customers.
Becuase of the details that you provided I will make sure that the desk clerk gets rewarded for her hard work.

Again thank you very much for the kind words.
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We arrived late on Thursday the26th at 130 am { so really Friday} as we were checking in with the front desk woman whom appeared to be slow, a poorly dressed man offered to help us with pur bags. We checked in got to our room and it reeked of mold. We opened windowa to air it out but it still didn't help. My daughter went to hide her face under the blanket a screached like she saw a monster. To my dismay no monster just a bed bug. At this point I'm concerned about all of my belongings being infested. I called the front desk and the women who answeredhad a strong european accent she said that this is the chance you take when you renta room, and that they don't offer discounts! Lrft with no other options we stayed { my debit card had been stolen and I had given this hotel the rest of my cash} the next morning the same poorly dressed man was eating breakfast in the lobby. He with. A mouthful of eggs asked my daughter for some money, then went on to explain to my 10 year old that he was homeless as we were leaving I noticed the receptionist with short blonde hair drop two egg patties onthe ground then place them back in the egg bin! DisTguStinG!

• Stayed July 2012
23 Thank bubbywoolum
Thank you for taking the time and being the eyes of the hotel while management was not present.
I would love to have the chance of speaking to you about our property becuase of the comments you had mentioned came to such a surprise. Please know that all concerns will be followed up with actions immediately. We apprecaite you letting us know about the flaws that you have seen.

The "bed bug" I cannot regard on if it was actually a Bed Bug but I will take your concerns into action and allow our monthly inspector to come early and check for insects.

Thank You Again and if you are ever returning to the area please call us directly and mention this response for a free night stay. We would like the chance to show you that we have made changes and that actions you saw are not habitual.
San Diego CA
Reviewed 28 June 2012

What a great place to stay! The front desk clerk was easily the nicest one in all my travels around the country! She asked if I needed any restaurant recommendations (and gave me a list of nearby places, including those that offered discounts to hotel guests), called the room to see if everything was alright, and retrieved my ice packs that I left in my room after checkout & placed them in the employee freezer to keep them cold until I could return to get them!

The room was very clean and the beds comfortable. The free breakfast was adequate - it was the standard continental breakfast with pastries, bread, cereals, juice & a waffle maker. My only disappointment was the lack of any protein or healthy options such as hard-boiled eggs or yogurt.

The hotel's location is great - close to the interstate but not so close that the noise carries. It's in a nicer suburb and there are a wealth of shopping opportunities nearby. The Creation Museum, which we were there to see, was about 15 min away, and the hotel sells discount tickets to it, as well as to other area attractions.

The hotel pool was outdoor, and was a great way to get the kinks out after a long day on the road!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NoUglyOneYet
Thank you for taking the time and filling out an online review. Our hotel and staff appreciate all the kind words and opinions. We hope that when you are returning to the area you choose our property again.
Lebanon, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Staff was great and the location is within 10 minutes of hundreds of dining and shopping options mostly west of I-75 at this exit. We discovered Skyline Chili, a favorite of this tri-state area, thanks to the front desk gal who has family in our home state of Arizona. She was THE best part of our stay:-)

This building is older, but the beds are very comfortable and everything was clean. Best Western is one of our favorites for a CLC stay and this one met our standards. It is across from a TA truck stop so there were some other drivers staying too. There is NO truck parking at this location, so we got permission from TA to drop our trailer in their almost-full lot.

We would return if in the area again.

Room Tip: Ask the desk gal where to get a good meal. She has a map and a list of great suggestions.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Candace R
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Director of Sales at Best Western Inn Florence, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time and posting such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor.
We are glad to see by the continuing reviews that our hotel can not only accommodate business travlers, families, but truck drivers as well. We do understand the frustrations of not having truck parking and we apologies for the inconvenience, but we are glad to hear that the TA helped your issue.
Monica at the desk I will personally let her know that you appreciated her assistance.
Thank you as well for placing a posting of our room. This little detail on your review can allow future guests to see from a guest perspective of our rooms and also since yours was renovated a room that we are now offering.
Again thank you for such a helpful review and we hope to see you again.
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Because it was rated #3 out of 25 we thought it would be a decent place. Not at all, there was mold in the bathroom, it was smelly in the room, the furniture was soiled and the carpet was dirty, the only decent part was the bed. Oh and didn't know that the airport was close so there planes flying over at 1am.

• Stayed June 2012
7 Thank RosieMichigan
I would like to send my apologies for your stay personally. At this Best Western we take all reviews very seriously, and as you can see by reviews, we take the time to respond to them allowing you to know that we appreciate your time in this matter of concern on our property. It is the guest that is the true inspector and without your help we can not succeed to be our very best.

I personally do not know what room you were assigned to to make sure that the mold issue is corrected but I can assure you that this is not a regular situation( as you can read in the previous reviews posted by guests). As I stated before I am sorry for the cleanliness issue and have no excuse that I want to present because it is simply not acceptable.

If you are in the Florence area again please mention this response and we will give a free stay to you, to allow us to show you that your stay is not habitual at the Best Western In Florence.

We hope to see you again and we thank you for taking the time to let us know where we need to improve.