“Not up to Choice Hotel standards”
Review of Budget Inn

Budget Inn
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Florence
Thornhill, Canada
“Not up to Choice Hotel standards”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I generally stay only at Choice Hotel properties and this one definitely did not meet the bill. The hotel lobby is very nice and the front desk staff were friendly and accommodating.

Our room was on the smallish size for one with a king bed. The room was very clean however the carpets were so threadbare that the backing was showing through in several spots. The toilet when flushed gave off an extremely high pitched whining sound, so loud that if one of us used it during the night, the other would wake up. Our other major issue was the bed. It dipped into the centre so when you turned over you immediately fell into the centre of the bed. We are baby boomers of a certain age with your normal aches and pains and this bed did nothing to help those.

Breakfast was your standard fare, cold and hot cereal, make-your-own waffles, hard boiled eggs, biscuits and gravy, hot eggs and sausages. Or so we were told. The hot food was empty when we arrived at 8 a.m. and was never filled. We asked and were told that someone would come momentarily, but they never showed up in the half hour we were there.

We are on our way driving south to Florida, so it was an okay stop for just a place to sleep, but i wouldn't return to this property.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shayna_J_S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Like others have said, the front lobby wasn't too bad so we decided to stay. Once getting upstairs, you can quickly see that the carpet in the halls were dirty and given the amount of dirt particles on the floor, it hadn't been vacuumed in a while. The edges of the carpets against the wall were especially dirty. You can actually see the dirt difference along the entire length of the floor.

The room was especially dirty. The first sign was the room number had fallen off the wall and the number 308 was hand written in marker on the door (looked like a young child wrote it).

The room was equally filthy. Dust and dirt on the floor; bathroom mirror had finger printers all over it; the inside lip of the toilet seat had urine stains from the previous guests; the shower water was running causing staining in the tub; the tub stoppers were all pulled out so you could see the grunge in the drain pipes; the main light switch turning on/off the lights in the room also turned the TV off !!; the sheets were so worn you could easily read a book through them; one of the double beds had no mattress cover - they brought one up for me and I had to make the bed myself; the pullout couch had no linens in the room - when they brought them up the sheets had huge cigarette burns in them; the wall heaters were all rusted and the filters were just put on the floor underneath and they rattled so loud you couldn't use them - they brought up a plug in space heater for us.

I've stayed at other Quality Inn's that were great, this one should be shut down until cleaned up as it clearly tarnishes the Quality Inn brand.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I don't really understand these previous reviews. I really think that people are just out to find something wrong. I did not have a problem with this place. It was a comfortable place to spend the night. The only problems that I had is the toilet ran too long and there was not a outlet near the desk, well there was one behind the TV and the desk light was plugged into it, but I had my laptop to plug in. It was a trade off. The light or my laptop. That was a little annoying for me. If I ever find myself in Florence I just may stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
New England - USA
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I often stay at this chain of hotels when on long road trips (Quality Inns and Comfort Inns) where we just need a roof over our heads for one night, a quick breakfast, and then get on our way quickly. This was an average motel, but I was surprised to see all the one and two stars in previous ratings. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and the motel and the room were clean and decent. Perhaps they cleaned up their act after reading earlier reviews. We probably won't stay here again, as we like to take various routes on our road trips so that we can see more of the USA. But I certainly wouldn't warn people not to stay here. I had a relatively good experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KayTee9
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had stayed here 5 years ago with a group, and what I remembered it wasn't that bad then, but now, it's nasty. I agree with the previous reviewer, the lobby looks pretty good, but that's where it ends. Carpets in the halls are all stained, don't know the last time this place saw a coat of paint. The room, toilet paper holder falling out of the wall, everything is probably the original when it opened, bed, sheets, etc. It was late when we got off the road and hust wanted to sleep, otherwise I would have turned around got my money back and left, but I sucked it up for the night. I have stayed in four Quality Inns in the past year, this is the last time. Drive past this hotel and find something else.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Lobby looked ok so we thought hotel was fine..... Not so! As soon as we pulled around back I just knew it was not good! Dirty windows was the first thing I noticed. Dirty carpet in hallway and upon entering the room the carpet had not even been vacuumed and the tub was filthy! It was a nightmare! I was not about to stay there with my family! We got a refund and headed over to the holiday inn:)

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I travel throughout the Midwest for my employment and my company use a direct bill account called CLC. This doesn't allow me to pick and choose the Hotels I stay in so my co-workers and I share information about the better places to stay. As for this hotel it is another example of foreign ownership gone bad !! The room has never been updated and it is not clean. The assistant GM is a gem and her heart is in the right place. She definitely is facing a uphill battle with foreign ownership. This place need a complete renovation inside and out ! I WISH AMERICANS WOULD GET BACK INTO THE HOTEL BUSINESS !

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business