“Older hotel but full of southern charm” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Capital Plaza Hotel

Capital Plaza Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Frankfort
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Older hotel but full of southern charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

We were staying at the hotel with a large group of friends and family for a wedding. it apparently had been a holiday inn in a past life. we were in a king room on a high floor and the room was a good size with an easy chair and sofa so plenty of room to have people in to chat. it was clean and easy to get around. the staff was really helpful and accomodating. the pool was closed for repair which didnt bother me but some of our party were looking forward to spending Sat afternoon at the pool before the wedding.
Only downfall - We went to the dining room on SaturdaySunday for breakfast. they apparently don't get a lot of customers and it is a buffet. the scrambled eggs looked like they had been there awhile. They did bring fresh when I asked for it though. The brunch on Sunday was adequate - good variety but kind of a tired buffet. it was handy though.
I would stay here again but try to find someplace else for breakfast.
also it is good to note that it is very close to Buffalo Trace distillery. a few guests who couldn;t go to the pool made a productive trip there on Saturday afternoon.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Rose W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Independence, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

I recently spent a very comfortable week at the Capital Plaza while attending a conference. The hotel is very clean and housekeeping did a wonderful job with my room. The bed was very comfortable. I was able to get a refrigerator for my room and it was no problem. As a female traveler, I always felt safe.

The location allowed me the opportunity to do some walking tours of Frankfort which was good exercise as the pool and gym were closed. I did not use the restaurant as I ate at some local restaurants for lunch and as I was staying a week, I brought my own breakfast items.

Room Tip: Get a walking map and walk to the Capitol.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Sherwood, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed here on a family trip. This is a neat conference center-style hotel with a bar and restaurant downstairs. Very clean and the staff was outstanding. I loved the message to their guests that started with, “Because this hotel is a human institution to serve people, and not solely a money-making organization, we hope that God will grant you peace and rest while you are under our roof.” True Kentucky hospitality!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed for 2 nights over July 4th weekend. Frankfort downtown is a ghost town on weekends, and the hotel restaurant wasn't open much of the time. This was a disappointment, as was the empty pool. The rooms were very clean and the bed and pillows were comfortable. Good choice for the money if staying in Frankfort.

• Stayed July 2011
Jonesboro, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

Was traveling through and I don't like staying in cookie cutter hotels. This place looked like it might be a place I would like, and boy was I right. When I walked in the entrance, a cascading waterfall greeted me right in the lobby. What a unique and welcoming feature. At check in, the friendly front desk clerk asked me if I'd prefer a river or capitol view. I'm a sucker for water, so I chose the river. Driving in, I didn't even realize there was a river that flowed through town. I had an excellent view from the 8th floor. Decided to try out the hotel restaurant for dinner and I'm happy I did. I had a great ribeye with a Maker's Mark bourbon glaze. I thought that was very appropriate for this area of the country! Our server was very polite and responsive. I was sad that I was only in town for one night. If I'm ever in Frankfort again for a night, I will definitely be back to have another great steak!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank travelh0g
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

This is no longer a Holiday Inn. No worries. The hotel has been remodelled. Room was big with a great view of Fountain Plaza. Walk to great restaurants like the wine bar and Kentucky Coffeetree Cafe on Broadway. Use the Y for 8 bucks next door. Free underground parking. Much better than the chain hotels near the freeway. Frankfort is the next Lexington. Take a walk along the river and in the historic neighborhood. Don't miss Liberty House. And enjoy the Capital Plaza Hotel--the only hotel downtown.

• Stayed May 2011
Shelby Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

It has great service and a wonderful staff! Its also pet friendly! The pool is clean and there are many attractions near by so you won't get bored!

• Stayed August 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankfort
Hampton Inn Frankfort
BEST WESTERN Lawrenceburg Inn
BEST WESTERN Lawrenceburg Inn
#1 of 1 in Lawrenceburg
BEST WESTERN PLUS Georgetown Corporate Center Hotel

Been to Capital Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!