“Clean, Great Location!”

Capital Plaza Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Frankfort
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This hotel is a great location for anyone visiting the convention center, downtown, or the Transportation Cabinent as these are all located easily within walking distance. The state Capital Buiding is a little over a mile from this hotel...but good sidewalks for anyone feeling energetic.
The hotel itself is in major need of a renovation. As it is old and outdated. It appears they are making some updates. Some rooms are equiped with new flat screen tv's and refridgerators...but not all of them. The swimming pool is currently closed and has been closed for at least 4 months that I know of. It appears it will not be reopening anytime soon.
The hotel was clean, and the staff were all very professional and courteous.

Room Tip: Certain rooms our eqiupped with new flat screen tv's and refridgerators and others are not. You...
1  Thank Travis928

Reviewed 20 March 2013

I sent an email in advance of my trip requesting a room away from the elevator and vending machines. No response. Upon arrival, I was put in a room right next to the vending machines. I had breakfast one morning and noted another guest had her dog with her. It was not a seeing eye dog. The hotel restaurant is not open for Sunday dinner and there is nothing available within walking distance that is open on Sunday evening. Twice I called the front desk and the person acted as if I was bothering him.

At least the room was quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street; much quieter.
2  Thank James G
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I was a little weary of staying here after reading some of the reviews, but was overall pleased with my stay.
This is a great spot for the convention center (a large arena) and on the edge of the downtown area. The unfortunate part is that the hotel is separated from the convention center and downtown by a crumbiling plaza atop a one level, vast, parking garage. Not a good first impression of Frankfort, which actually has a very nice downtown.
Downtown restaurants are about a quick 5-10 minute walk.
Our second floor room had new carpet, new guest chair and flat screen TV. Yes, the whole room could have used a makeover, but it was clean and fine for our visit. The TV had no pay per view, interactive features, but plenty of channels. There was free wi-fi.
After our first night, we found our room cleaned after a 2 hour walk thru downtown, by 1:00pm, a nice plus.
The hotel restaurant has good service and suprisingly good food, including a well done breakfast bar. The downside is that there is no food room service unless the restaurant is open, not good as there are no options that don't require the 5-10 minute walk.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2013

To date I made (8) eight requests of the General Manager to acknowledge my concern and I've received "NO RESPONSE".

My accommodations were disheartening, embarrassing, uncomfortable and disruptive. I reserved Suite 807 and the adjoining rooms on each side of that suite, arriving May 4th and departing May 5th. Suite 807 was to be for the graduation reception of my son. Upon arrival the experience was great until we got to our suite. After opening the door, we found a very unpleasing odor, pockets of damp carpet, and soiled conference chairs at first inspection. We knew that there were no other available options at or outside Capital Plaza to fit our immediate needs, so we had to adjust our expectations and adapt. We opened the windowed of both 805 and 807/809; later choosing not to occupy the other adjoining room (we canceled that one). We attempted to dry the pockets of damp carpet with a hairdryer. In putting up the trays of food that was to be served to our visiting family and guests we found small pests.

I have a litany of long detailed examples on why we were disheartened, embarrassed, uncomfortable, and disrupted, but I will summarize with the following bulletpoints:
1. Odor
2. Pockets of Damp Carpet
3. Soiled Chairs
4. Soiled Couch
5. Pests
6. Kitchen area that we wiped. Aged.
7. Camouflaged the 4" - 5" gaps on each side of the Refrigerate so that the extremely dirty floor and wall was not seen by guests
8. Restricted any use of the extremely unstable Kitchen Sink faucet. It hung by it's connections.
9. We had to clean mold from bathtub/shower areas in both Rooms
10. Huge rip in the Soiled Sofa Mattress to the point that form spilled out. AGED.
11. Early morning Staff Rudeness ; Non-requested wake-up knocks .
Now imagine finally resting the following morning after a late night with the above experience and there is a LOUD 4 KNOCK sound on NOT ONE but BOTH of your doors at 8:59am , asking if you are "CHECKING OUT".

"REALLY"

Our experience was disheartening, embarrassing, uncomfortable and disruptive.

The place is AGED with non-caring, non-responsive leadership.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NaptownCouple
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This hotel provides everything you need for a comfortable stay. My room was clean, it was quiet and water pressure in the shower was good. I would agree that this hotel probably isn't what it use to be but them again either am I (although my wife says I am more handsome with time). Wonderful lobby, cool waterfall and great bar. The staff do a good job with what they have. Good location, freindly staff and the morning breakfast buffet hit the spot. This is a good, clean, solid choice for a hotel close to the capital and downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the ice makers.
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have to go to Frankfort often for business and we normally stay at the Plaza due to it's proximity to our training site. This hotel was probably amazing back in its day, but it has really gone to pot. The lobby is amazing and when you arrive you think you've ARRIVED. But one short trip up the elevator will leave you wondering what the hell happened. First of all, the hallways are unkempt (dirty carpets, holes in walls, missing wallpaper etc.) and dark. Then you make it to your room and it isn't much better. Furniture is outdated and there really is nothing special about the room. The TV's are poor quality and the beds are just so-so. When you get on the website it boasts of the pool, but I have been to the Plaza on 3 occasions in the past year and each time the pool is 'closed for remodeling.' The food in the restaurant is ok but pricey. There is NOTHING within walking distance (or even a short drive for that matter) except for government buildings. It is a huge hotel and I'm sure they don't have the revenue to keep it modernized-it's sad really because it has a lot of potential. I suggest stearing clear unless you must be right downtown.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room that has been newly remodeled? I don't know if they have any but it's...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank heatherbug24
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Spent a weekend here. Was impressed. The food was good and very reasonably priced. Lobby was elegant and inviting. Overall, the hotel was well maintained - but not top shelf polished. The room was clean, roomy, and comfortable. Everything worked. Very convenient location for touring the area attractions. Service was good and everyone was pleasant. Great value for the orice. I'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2013