“Great for Nature Lovers”

Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge)
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenup
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We spent the Labor Day weekend at Greenbo and had a wonderful time. The lodge rooms themselves are basic hotel rooms. The rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable. Each room also has a little deck on the back with chairs. The kids really enjoyed the pools. We rented a pontoon boat from the marina and cruised around the lake one evening. It was awesome. Beautiful and extremely memorable. One of our favorite things about the lodge was the restaurant. They serve awesome buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate there every day and were really pleased with the variety. I'm a vegetarian and there were plenty of options for me too. Awesome country cooking. The staff was awesome and eager to please. There are hiking trails right outside the door and they were awesome. We took a little hike one night after dinner and saw a mama deer with baby and several frogs and lizards. The kids were in heaven. I highly recommend this place. We are going to make it a Labor Day weekend tradition.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tara614
Cary L, General Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thank you for the nice review on Greenbo Lake. Please contact me upon your next vist and let us know any needs you may have during your plans to come visit us next Labor Day. Thank you again! Caryq.lyle@ky.gov

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Exellent staff. Very clean and extremely Quiet facility.The room was very comfortable with a soft bed and nice linen. The shower had a strong stream. No unusual smells.We stayed on the first floor so we had a back door that looked out on a tiny patio with 2 chairs. We walked down in the back to a beautiful fishing pier. Wished we had taken our poles. It looked promising for fishing.
The lake was very clear.
The Continental breakfast was normal with rolls and coffee and juice.
The buffet was very tasty with fried chicken, catfish, and alfredo.
Everything was priced reasonable.
We were disappointed that there was no newspapers to buy.
We loved the wooden rocking chairs out on the porch.
I would love to stay there again. Nice place for senior citizens.
We were celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cary L, General Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you for the great review on Greenbo Lake. Please contact me upon your next stay and we will make sure you get a newspaper and anything else you may need while with us. Caryq.lyle@ky.gov

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We just returned from taking our 2 grandchildren, ages 5 & 7, to Greenbo Lake State Park for a week. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed the lodge, with its huge fireplace & gigantic coffee tables in the lobby that are perfect for playing board games! Our spacious third-floor room had 2 comfortable double beds & a private balcony just right for reading & watching the birds & squirrels. The dining room had a splendid view of the lake & offered delicious meals - we ate catfish till I thought we'd burst, & the kids really pigged out on ice cream with fudge syrup! We took along some artificial flowers for decorating the older, no-longer-tended gravestones in the park's tiny cemetery, & also took our own golf balls & favorite putters for the cute little mini-golf course. The kids LOVED the Foosball tables in the basement rec room & the pontoon boat we rented for 4 hours, & they had a ball swimming in the lodge pool [with large separate kiddie pool] & also in the near-by community pool. We saw at least a dozen deer in the park that were close enough that we got good photos of them, & there was a magnificent blue heron & some baby geese down at the lake. The entire park, with its gorgeous lake, well-equipped playgrounds, historic one-room schoolhouse, old iron ore furnace, numerous hiking trails, & absolute peace & quiet, is our favorite place in this part of the country! It's definitely off-the-beaten-path, but it's well worth the effort to spend a few days here. We've been coming back every year since our first visit in 1976, & we'll be there again in 2014.

Room Tip: There are ground-level, "accessible" rooms available which offer patios, but we prefer the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Windy313
Cary L, Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate your business!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We recently stayed at Greenbo Lake State Park and loved it. The staff were super nice and the Park Manager even greeted us and checked on us during our stay. The restaurant was good for a park, but the Chef prepared a steak for me that was not even on the menu and was fantastic, WOW! The lake was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen, definately rent a pontoon and cruise that lake. We caught fish all morning as a deer watched us from the shore. We will be back.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor, vaulted ceilings.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank David J

Thank you for visiting us and please contact me the upon your next stay.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have now stayed twice at this lodge located at Greenbo State Park in eastern Kentucky. This is an older lodge and the rooms do show it's age for the most part, however, if you stay here knowing that it isn't a 5 star hotel and not expecting it to have all the poshness of a nicer hotel, you may just find that the down home feeling here is good enough to overcome it's shortfalls. I love the location personally, although you must note it is pretty far off the beaten path. Come with all you need for your stay. The onsite restaurant is buffet style and I do not give it high marks, only average. You should be able to find something on there that appeals to you unless you are very picky. The rooms are large enough, the bed is comfy enough, and what I love is the fact you either have an extra door that opens to a roomy lawn area, or to a balcony if you stay on the second or third floor. I prefer the lower floor since I love to open my door and hear the birds and sit out on my back porch area. Now, the décor is dated, but the room was clean. The price is very reasonable and the staff was super friendly. There is a nice common area in the main lobby with comfy oversized furniture and a fireplace. Down in the lower level is a pool table and ping pong table. There is an outdoor pool, small lake for fishing or canoeing and some hiking trails. I like the outdoorsy feel here but I know it may not be for everyone.

Room Tip: The rooms seem extremely well insulated from sound. The lower floor has direct access to a small p...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us again, we most certainly appreciate your patronage. Please contact me on your next stay with us, thank you again for chosing Greenbo Lake State Resort Park

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Structurally, Kentucky State Park lodges are very similar - the architecture, amenities, facilities, and peaceful, though remote, settings. The similarity stops there for this lodge. The dining room was closed (the nearest food was miles away, at a country store/deli), except for a pathetic continental breakfast. My TV remote control batteries (AAA) were dead - the clerk couldn't find AAA's, so rather than provide me with a remote from another room (of which there were plenty), I was stuck changing channels and sound manually. What struck me most odd was the absence of FOX News - though listed on the channel guide, it could not be received (but CNN, MSNBC, and the major networks were all available). No explanation was available.
My wife and I have been staying at Kentucky Park lodges for 30 years - never again.

Room Tip: nearly all rooms have wonderful views; some overlook the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tominfairfield
Cary L, General Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Please contact me personally at caryq.lyle@ky.gov we would love another chance to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was driving from Virginia to Kentucky at the end of a long trip and thought it would be nice to drive a bit out of my way to stay at a state park resort as opposed to a roadside motel. WRONG!!! This place is not one iota better than a budget motel. The décor is stark and unpleasant and the rooms seem to have last been appointed in the seventies. Having been somewhat shocked by the room, I decided to ignore it and go for a good dinner. Things only got worse: one of the worst buffets I have ever encountered. Soggy fried catfish (with a peculiar taste); ditto for the chicken. Was able to eat an overly sweet ham. Something called a cabbage casserole (I love cabbage) was a mish-mosh of goop that didn't taste a thing like cabbage, at least not fresh cabbage. I went back to my "rustic" room and ate bag of peanuts. I actually considered driving on that night, but decided the room was at least fairly clean if not comfortable. And the tv worked. Finally got up at 5 AM and departed, happy to never see the Greenbo State Resort again -- poor Jesse Stuart, what an awful tribute to one of Kentucky's greatest authors.

Room Tip: A view of the lake and woods is the only thing the rooms have to offer, so be sure to get a good vie...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank gstrange8

Please contact me personally at caryq.lyle@ky.gov we would like for you to give us another chance to exceed your needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenup
Days Inn Ashland
Hampton Inn Ashland
#1 of 10 in Ashland
Best Western River Cities
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ashland

Been to Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge)? Share your experiences!